Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #1846
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection

Last July, we were at extra magic hour morning at AK and they were definitely checking resort keys. A young man in front us didn't have one and was trying to tell the CM he was with someone already in the park. The CM wasn't buying his story. He was asked to step out of the line.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #1847
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseteacher
Last July, we were at extra magic hour morning at AK and they were definitely checking resort keys. A young man in front us didn't have one and was trying to tell the CM he was with someone already in the park. The CM wasn't buying his story. He was asked to step out of the line.
I imagine the mornings would be strict. DD19 just reminded me that we did have to show the keys at night before entering a ride... The memory is the first thing to go, I'm told..... LOLOLOL

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #1848
Debrn
Mouseketeer

F&w 2012

View from our room at the Dolphin
10/10 BWV/BLT
03/12 Poly TPV, 10/12 Pop/Dolphin
02/13 AKV
03/13 YC CL,Dolphin/CSR

ME &DBF DD 13DS 10
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #1849
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
I imagine the mornings would be strict. DD19 just reminded me that we did have to show the keys at night before entering a ride... The memory is the first thing to go, I'm told..... LOLOLOL

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I'm with ya SM. I am surprised I remembered the AK check. Probably because of the young man trying to get in without a resort key. It went on for quite a few minutes.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #1850
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Have any of you ordered a cake to be delivered to a bar or restaurant at either resort? If so, what were the options? We're going to be bar hopping with our newly turned 21 yr. old. We'll be stopping by the bars at bluezoo, Il Mulino & Shula's to order appetizers & a drink, plus spending time in Kimonos. I'd like to order a cake to be delivered to one of them. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
(")_(")

Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #1851
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I am not personally familiar with their cakes, but they do have a rather renown bakery on site. I have seen their work through the bakery windows at the Swan, they look great.

Here is a link with phone number you can call.

http://www.swandolphincatering.com/

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #1852
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
Have any of you ordered a cake to be delivered to a bar or restaurant at either resort? If so, what were the options? We're going to be bar hopping with our newly turned 21 yr. old. We'll be stopping by the bars at bluezoo, Il Mulino & Shula's to order appetizers & a drink, plus spending time in Kimonos. I'd like to order a cake to be delivered to one of them. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Where are you staying, Swan or Dolphin? It would make a difference in my suggestion. If you are ending your night and staying at Swan, I would order it delivered to Kimonos--how fun would it be with Karaoke and cake?

Frankly, with a newly minted 21 year old, I would hit Jelly Rolls rather than any of the above and have a cake delivered there. Way more fun than the sedate places you have listed.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #1853
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
I am not personally familiar with their cakes, but they do have a rather renown bakery on site. I have seen their work through the bakery windows at the Swan, they look great.

Here is a link with phone number you can call.

http://www.swandolphincatering.com/
Thanks for the link. That helps a lot. We'll call to see what they offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Where are you staying, Swan or Dolphin? It would make a difference in my suggestion. If you are ending your night and staying at Swan, I would order it delivered to Kimonos--how fun would it be with Karaoke and cake?

Frankly, with a newly minted 21 year old, I would hit Jelly Rolls rather than any of the above and have a cake delivered there. Way more fun than the sedate places you have listed.

We aren't staying at either resort. We chose the Boardwalk area for the excellent food options & bluezoo has some very creative cocktails. I'm sure the other bars do also. DH or I & DS's GF won't be drinking alcohol, so great food is important. Plus, our DS likes karaoke making Kimonos a popular choice. He & his GF are also excited to dress up nice & make it an adult evening. They chose the Boardwalk area over DTD for this reason. Maybe, they get enough of the party atmosphere in college. I'm not sure I want to know. She isn't 21 yet, so we can't go to Jellyrolls. I was thinking we'd start at Crew's Cup, then move to S/D. We'll probably end at Kimonos, because he'd rather hang out there.
(")_(")

Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #1854
joannalh
Mouseketeer

Hello! I'm checking out this thread for the first time because I've just decided to attend a conference at the Swan this October, and bring my family along. I was on the fence about attending as the conference only sort of related to my field, but today I found out about a second conference happening earlier that same week in Orlando that is directly relevant to my work, so I've decided we should all take a long trip and I'll go to parts of both. The first conference is actually closer to Universal Studios, so we might do a split stay. I'm super excited. I know nothing about the Swan/Dolphin though I've had several Disney visits before. Hooray! Off to read the thread!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #1855
catiesmom
Earning My Ears

What room arrangement would work best for us?

We currently have 3 standard rooms reserved at the Swan for late April for our group of 7 (me, DH, 4yo DD, 3yo DS, 20 mo DS, MIL & FIL). DH & I will be in one room with the kids in an adjoining room. Youngest DS is still in a crib. MIL & FIL will be in the third room hopefully close to us. We're there for 8 days/7 nights and all rooms are on points.

Currently all 2 bedroom suites are unavailable but if one opens up, we do have the points to cover it. And DH has platinum status so they have said that we are likely to receive an upgrade if available.

Which arrangement would give us more space and comfort?

A 2-bedroom suite or 3 standard rooms. I've looked at the floor plans and pictures but I still have a hard time deciding. Also we'll be taking turns bringing the kids back for naps and bedtime. It would be convenient for the in-laws to be in the same room so they don't have to wait up for us and have easy access to their stuff. But MIL and FIL need separate beds although MIL will sleep on a couch/sleeper sofa. And the older 2 kids need beds.

We all get along pretty well (sometimes I do hit my limit of in-law time though!) so we would be ok in the same quarters as long as we are not on top of each other.

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #1856
KYTink
Earning My Ears

Bluezoo cocktails

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
Thanks for the link. That helps a lot. We'll call to see what they offer.

We aren't staying at either resort. We chose the Boardwalk area for the excellent food options & bluezoo has some very creative cocktails. I'm sure the other bars do also. DH or I & DS's GF won't be drinking alcohol, so great food is important. Plus, our DS likes karaoke making Kimonos a popular choice. He & his GF are also excited to dress up nice & make it an adult evening. They chose the Boardwalk area over DTD for this reason. Maybe, they get enough of the party atmosphere in college. I'm not sure I want to know. She isn't 21 yet, so we can't go to Jellyrolls. I was thinking we'd start at Crew's Cup, then move to S/D. We'll probably end at Kimonos, because he'd rather hang out there.
I can't remember the name ("Serenity" maybe) but Bluezoo has an awesome martini that has basil and strawberries in it. I highly recommend this cocktail!! It sounds weird, but I promise, it is yummy! Enjoy the birthday celebrations!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #1857
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Here's the link to Blue Zoo's cocktail menu

http://swandolphinmeetings.com/menus...cocktails.html

DH had the Bazooka Joe (which did taste just like Bazooka Bubble Gum!! ) and my favorite is Zooberry.

Serenity is listed and I may have to try that one next time!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #1858
patty57
DIS Veteran

I had the Burnt Orange...loved it!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #1859
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYTink View Post
I can't remember the name ("Serenity" maybe) but Bluezoo has an awesome martini that has basil and strawberries in it. I highly recommend this cocktail!! It sounds weird, but I promise, it is yummy! Enjoy the birthday celebrations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
Here's the link to Blue Zoo's cocktail menu

http://swandolphinmeetings.com/menus...cocktails.html

DH had the Bazooka Joe (which did taste just like Bazooka Bubble Gum!! ) and my favorite is Zooberry.

Serenity is listed and I may have to try that one next time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
I had the Burnt Orange...loved it!
Thanks for the drink suggestions & menu. I usually consider ordering one of the creative cocktails, then go with the boring wine flight. Since we aren't going for a full meal, this weekend will be a good time to try one of the cocktails.
(")_(")

Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #1860
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catiesmom
What room arrangement would work best for us?

We currently have 3 standard rooms reserved at the Swan for late April for our group of 7 (me, DH, 4yo DD, 3yo DS, 20 mo DS, MIL & FIL). DH & I will be in one room with the kids in an adjoining room. Youngest DS is still in a crib. MIL & FIL will be in the third room hopefully close to us. We're there for 8 days/7 nights and all rooms are on points.

Currently all 2 bedroom suites are unavailable but if one opens up, we do have the points to cover it. And DH has platinum status so they have said that we are likely to receive an upgrade if available.

Which arrangement would give us more space and comfort?

A 2-bedroom suite or 3 standard rooms. I've looked at the floor plans and pictures but I still have a hard time deciding. Also we'll be taking turns bringing the kids back for naps and bedtime. It would be convenient for the in-laws to be in the same room so they don't have to wait up for us and have easy access to their stuff. But MIL and FIL need separate beds although MIL will sleep on a couch/sleeper sofa. And the older 2 kids need beds.

We all get along pretty well (sometimes I do hit my limit of in-law time though!) so we would be ok in the same quarters as long as we are not on top of each other.

Thanks for your input!
If a suite becomes available I would think that would be the better option. When we went my brother, SIL and two nieces stayed in the room portion of an executive suite. I had the suite portion! we all used the suite when the girls were down for a nap or bedtime.

We only had a executive suite with one room, but this http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post41611740page has photos of the rooms.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: