Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
owl0306
Mouseketeer

i am a deluxe snob also and I am considering a mod for just a couples only trip but I am worried also. I think I rather spend the extra money knowing I will be happy.
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Reese D
Mouseketeer

I'm in the same boat. We've only ever stayed at Deluxe, but are staying at POFQ for our next trip. I'm concerned but trying to remember that the resort is such a small part of our vacation. Also, we added extra nights which is nice. All that being said, I still may change my reservation to AKL before we leave
Reese D is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
WDW1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdisney View Post
We have stayed all levels of resorts (value, mod and deluxe) and so far POR is are fav resort.
Same with us. We've stayed at almost all the Deluxes plus two DVC resorts at Disney, but Port Orleans Riverside is our fav as it has the most beautiful and serene grounds/landscaping. Lots of trees, bridges over little streams, and one large and gentle "river" that runs through the middle of the resort around Ol' Man Island. It is a place where you can relax, de-stress and enjoy the Disney happiness.

The two words I would use to best describe POR: serene and pretty.

Note that although I love POR, I am not a fan of its sister resort, POFQ. The two resorts are very different.
1979 June: Days Lodge Kissimmee - 1991 August: Rental house Orlando - 1997 May: Dixie Landings - 1998 May: Dixie Landings and Polynesian - 1999 July: Wilderness Lodge - 2000 May: Wilderness Lodge, Dixie Landings and Grand Floridian - 2002 April: Dixie Landings - 2002 May: Newport Bay Club at Disneyland Paris - 2003 May: Residence Inn LBV - 2004 April: Villas at Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club Villas - 2005 January/Feb: Fort Wilderness Cabins, Royal Pacific, Hilton - 2005 May: Hampton Inn and Riverside (POR) - 2006 January: Fort Wilderness Cabins and Beach Club Villas - 2007 March: Riverside (POR) - 2008 May: Pop Century - 2008 August: Embassy Suites Int'l Drive - 2009 July: Disneyland Hotel Hong Kong - 2009 Christmas: Wilderness Lodge and Homewood Suites - 2011 March: Riverside (POR), Fort Wilderness - 2012 March: Riverside (POR), Fort Wilderness - 2013 August: Contemporary, Riverside (POR) - 2014 March: Riverside (POR)

Last edited by WDW1979; 02-08-2013 at 11:52 AM.
WDW1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #19
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl0306 View Post
i am a deluxe snob also and I am considering a mod for just a couples only trip but I am worried also. I think I rather spend the extra money knowing I will be happy.
We like to do split stays for various reasons and one of those reasons is to be certain to get our POR "Fix" ... we can afford to do all deluxe but we find the moderates very charming and an essential part of our stay. One of the advantages of a split stay is the fact that if you dont like the resort, you know you are not "Stuck" there the rest of your trip.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
Cinderumbrella
Wench

We are staying POR this time around instead of Deluxe because of the length of our trip. But we picked POR Royal Rooms since it is like "Deluxe Lite" to me. The attention to detail in those rooms is amazing. Plus, I like the idea of a pool slide and the boat to DTD.

That being said, how long is your trip?? If its 5 nights or longer, then I absolutely would pay $300 extra to stay at AKL (that is a gorgeous resort too!) But I wouldn't pay $800 for WL.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
mommyarewegoingback
DIS Veteran

We have done AKL and POR. While I love the grounds at POR, you're in FL, and it rains in FL, so when it rained at POR we had to run through the rain to get to the lobby and food. At AKL, you've got inside hallways, Boma and more activities for kids. That being said, we just decided to do POR Royal Rooms in April. Love those rooms which are unique to any other rooms at WDW. Godd luck!
-Virginia
WDW 4/97, 4/99, 5/00, 10/02, 2/03, 5/03, 10/03, 12/04, 1/05, 4/05, 7/05, 10/05, 5/06, 7/06, 11/06, 4/07, 11/07, 12/08, 7/09, 11/09 (& DCL Magic), 5/10, 8/10, 12/10, 5/11 (& DCL Dream), 12/11, 5/12, 8/12, 11/12, 4/13, 5/13, 11/13, 4/14, 7/14, 5/14, 12/14
mommyarewegoingback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
We stayed at Poly on our first trip and POR twice since then. Trying CSR on our next trip. Now that we've seen the difference between deluxe and mod, it's hard for us to justify the extra cost for deluxe when mods have everything we want.
We are the same, the clincher for us was when they added queen beds to all Mods but CBR

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea View Post
Differing opinion here. I've stayed at values, mods, deluxe and DVC. I like the mods least because I don't think the product justifies the expense. If I wasn't doing DVC or deluxe, I'd stay value because I think that the value for dollar is better. The rooms at the mods are basically motel rooms. The extra money buys you landscaping and a nicer lobby. Not worth it. Go value or stay at AKL.
Values and mods both have rooms with exterior corridors. Disney resorts of any level are not comparable to motels. In the industry, motels are classified by their lack of food options, lack of lobby, and no services other than rooms. Just didn't want anyone to confuse these resorts with what a motel actually is
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #24
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1013 View Post
POR is a very nice resort, very pretty. It's only DH and I smaller room size doesn't matter to us. You won't have a balcony which I prefer but not a big deal. The only thing that keeps me from staying there is the hot tub situation. There is only one at the main pool that is always filled with kids jumping, diving treating it like a pool. Same thing seems to happen at main pools at deluxe resorts but the hot tubs at the quiet pools are usually not like that. If the hot tub doesn't matter to you then I think you will enjoy POR.
As someone else going back and forth between AKL and POR, I wonder.....seeing as though AKL has only one main pool and no quiet pools, do you think the hot tub is over-run there as well?
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #25
karmacats
Mouseketeer

DH and I used to stay deluxe - AKL twice, Poly twice, WL once. Then the bad economy hit us a few years ago and we switched to moderates. Hated POFQ, didn't really like CS, but loved loved loved POR. AKL is still my favorite, but POR is a close second. I like POR better than Poly and WL.

I love the view of the animals at AKL (we always stayed savannah view), but POR has such beautiful landscaping, it's very peaceful to walk around or to sit outside your room and look at the view. We always request AB with a view of landscaping rather than a parking lot, and it's just beautiful. I do miss the balconies at AKL, but POR has "bump outs" in the walkways where you can put chairs (we take the ones from the little table inside the room) and sit and look at the view while staying out of the walkway, and it's practically like having a balcony (we call it our "redneck balcony" ). I thought the outside corridors would mean a lot less privacy, but we also request a room in the middle of the corridor, and because there are stairs on either end of most corridors no one really walks by the rooms in the middle. Also, we've always had great service at POR.

We're staying at AKL in April as a splurge for my 40th b-day and because we got a great deal (35% off club level because we booked with a bounceback), but if we couldn't get a discount on a club level or savannah view room, I'd rather save some $$$ and stay at POR. I don't really feel like I'm missing out on the deluxe vibe when I stay there.
karmacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

My wife and I recently stayed at POR for Marathon Weekend. We were always a bit curious about staying at the mods, so we decided to give the Royal rooms a try. I agree that the resort itself is quite lovely, however I readily admit that I am a deluxe snob and prefer the location and amenities that go with them (I really hate buses!). I like having the option of alternate transportation back to my resort (which is usually dedicated to that resort only). The boat ride to DTD was great though!

Given the option, while I would never say no to staying at POR, I would much rather prefer my home resort, BCV....

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
sue1013
Haven't had a good Yodel in years
I know I'm the odd one
We need to be snow birds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three cats View Post
As someone else going back and forth between AKL and POR, I wonder.....seeing as though AKL has only one main pool and no quiet pools, do you think the hot tub is over-run there as well?
I've never stayed at AKL don't have any experience with that resort. But I would think if there is only one hot tub it would be the same situation as POR.
sue1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #28
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1013
POR is a very nice resort, very pretty. It's only DH and I smaller room size doesn't matter to us. You won't have a balcony which I prefer but not a big deal. The only thing that keeps me from staying there is the hot tub situation. There is only one at the main pool that is always filled with kids jumping, diving treating it like a pool. Same thing seems to happen at main pools at deluxe resorts but the hot tubs at the quiet pools are usually not like that. If the hot tub doesn't matter to you then I think you will enjoy POR.
We just returned from POR and the hot tub situation made DH crazy. FW has a hot tub at the quiet pool so we assumed there would be at least one other hot tub for how large POR is. We were disappointed. The bussing was also a disaster but that happens sometimes and perhaps we just had bad luck. It's too bad bc POR is a really beautiful resort. We may use it in the future if we are planning a split or short stay but that's probably it.

Next trip this summer we are staying deluxe at BC or YC.

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #29
lady_hlh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1013 View Post
I've never stayed at AKL don't have any experience with that resort. But I would think if there is only one hot tub it would be the same situation as POR.
We stayed at POR in a royal room last year. I liked it better than CSR, it had lovely grounds and a great food court. However we've been staying at deluxe resorts for the last few years and my DH and DD only wanted to book a deluxe again this year. We stayed at AKL and POR, I would have to say we all preferred AKL and we had AKL booked again for this year before we switched to CR garden wing. There are 2 more secluded hot tubs at AKL,which are adjacent to the main pool, I don't remember ever seeing any kids in them even in August. My DH is a huge pool fan and he didn't care for any of the pools at POR even the quite pools.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #30
Sammie
DIS Veteran

We own DVC and have not stayed in anything else in years. This past October we went a day earlier than planned and stayed at POR and loved it.

You will not be disappointed unless not having a balcony is a deal breaker and outsider corridors instead of hallways.

As to hot tub problems, if it is over run with children using it as a pool, for goodness sake go get a manager. Until people complain about these situations they will not get any better.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: