Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

I have maybe 4 FB friends have that died? All pages still exisit and people write on their walls for holidays, birthdays, when something makes the person think of them. I think its a lovely. I like to look at my one friend's page when I get sad because it helps me remember what an amazing and fun loving woman she was.

I don't know if any of the family officially contacted FB though to have it memorialized.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
monarchsfan16
Holy smokes, the DIS is a big place!
Was recognized as a New Englander in Yellowstone because I exclaimed wicked awesome as Old Faithful erupted

I have a friend that died in 2007. Her facebook page is still active. I suspect that one of her sisters knew or figured out her password, but I honestly am not sure. At first it stunk to see her page, because she died at the age of 20, but now it's nice that it still exists. We can all still write messages to her on her birthday, the day she died, etc.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
kacaju
DIS Veteran

I have no problem with fb pages being left open. I as well...sometimes will post a *thinking of you* on their wall. The problem I do have..is those people who either did not know the person well, or dont pay attention when you get the Birthday reminders.
And post things like Happy Birthday..I hope you have a great day!!
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
I have no problem with fb pages being left open. I as well...sometimes will post a *thinking of you* on their wall. The problem I do have..is those people who either did not know the person well, or dont pay attention when you get the Birthday reminders.
And post things like Happy Birthday..I hope you have a great day!!
yes! That happened like 3 times this past November on one of my high school friend's wall.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
mcraige
DIS Veteran

I read somewhere that there is a new area of law regarding what happens to your digital "life" once your mortal life has ended. They were saying you need to add instructions in your will for how to handle social media.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #21
snowy76
I do a panic dance
OMG I looooved my K Tel records!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraige View Post
I read somewhere that there is a new area of law regarding what happens to your digital "life" once your mortal life has ended. They were saying you need to add instructions in your will for how to handle social media.
That's really interesting! I guess I could see folks wanting to treat something like Facebook as a diary/journal of sorts. Just as a person might leave their personal diaries to a particular relative or friend, there are probably folks out there who would like their profile to live on.

There are also probably legalities about who "owns" the content on those pages too - I could see a social media site possibly using the photos and stories posted by someone who's deceased. Remember the uproar when FB said Instagram photos would be considered public domain? What protection of privacy is there for someone who's dead?...

To answer the OP, I know of several people who have passed, whose profiles are still on FB. Mostly they seem to remain open and friends post their memories of the person - sometimes going there to express how much they miss the person - almost as if the deceased is still checking in. As a high school teacher, I see this especially among the friends of students who have died under tragic circumstances - car crashes, one former student was murdered, etc.

CR 12/82 ... CR 12/84 ... Offsite 7/89 ... Swan 8/03 ... AKL 6/04 ... BWV 6/05 ... POP 10/08 ... DTD Hilton 10/09 ... Offsite 8/11 ... DLR 7/12 ... DLR 8/13
snowy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #22
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I wish there was a way to keep the ages open for people who want to share memories, etc. but stop the profile from showing up on People You May know. That way if someone is too upset and I friends the profile ore something, it doesn't keep showing up on their screen.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies View Post
I'm not sure if this has been asked before. When you die, if no one removes or deactivates your page, does it go on forever until Facebook itself "dies"? or is there a deactivation time setting?

Just one of the things that pops into my head. What do you wonder about randomly sometimes?
When my grandpa passed away we figured out how to get rid of his account by saying we forgot the password and had a new one sent, and deactivated it that way. So there is a way to get rid of it, if your family knows you have an account they can get rid of it.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #24
kaligal
DIS Veteran

The night her sister died, my friend (at her sister's request) updated her sister's status to "Chillin with Jesus," which I thought was very funny.

My mom's Facebook page remains. We couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I did post that she was dead.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #25
violetrose
DIS Veteran

My husband's cousin died at age 31 two years ago and her facebook page is still active. Her family still posts on her page, mostly tributes, or things they remember about her. Other people like old classmates have stopped by and made tributes to her too. I think it's a comfort to her parents that the page is still active.

violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
Pig Pen
To all who have come to this happy place...welcome.

My cousin passed away last year quite unexpectedly. I don't mind that her Facebook page is still active for all the reasons mentioned here. However I will occasionally get posts that say "Mary Brown likes Target," etc. It's kind of unsettling.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: