Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

CR is an older resort, so the rooms are bigger. WL has a very quick bus to MK. There are some boats to the MK from WL that you cannot leave the kids in the stroller and will need to fold it up (the smaller boats).

We stayed in a wing room several years ago when they were tearing down the North Wing (where BLT now stands) and thought the room was great. We did not have a patio, just the slider window with the bar in front. But I really liked that room.

If you are looking at somewhere else to dine, you can take a boat to FW or to the MK and then the monorail to the monorail resorts to dine. At the CR, you can take the monorail to the monorail resorts to dine or take a boat to WL or FW to dine. Of course there are lots of other places to dine, but these would be the most convenient.

The CR will also have the extra day bed if the kids don't want to sleep together. So you'll have two queen beds and the day bed. At WL, there is no day bed. Just two queen sized beds unless you get the bunk bed room, then you'll have one queen and two bunk beds.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

How long are you staying? If that $500 was split up over 7 or 10 days, I think it's worth it. Also, what type of room? If it's a tower theme park view, I think it would be worth the money.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine
How long are you staying? If that $500 was split up over 7 or 10 days, I think it's worth it. Also, what type of room? If it's a tower theme park view, I think it would be worth the money.
We are staying May 12-18 in a Garden Wing room.

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
OLIVIA'S DADDY
Mouseketeer

Its worth it if you can afford it. All deluxe hotels are amazing, we have stayed at all but the grand Floridian and they are all great so you really can't go wrong. However Contemporary is our favorite, my daughter loves Chef Mickeys and the walk back and forth to Magic Kingdom can be a life saaver when the monorail gets packed. Either way you can't go wrong the Wilderness is great but we love the style of rooms at the contemporary and the location. Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.
OLIVIA'S DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Cinderumbrella
Wench

I haven't stayed WL but we have stayed several times at CR (wing and tower). With kids of stroller age it is SO worth it to be able to monorail (or walk) instead of taking a bus from MK.

And don't forget the monorail to EPCOT too! Sure, it takes a bit longer because of the TTC transfer, but to not have to get sleeping children out of a stroller is priceless

I say CR all the way! Just put in a room request for a ground floor to get a patio and then double check that it was granted at check in. If not, inquire politely if one will become available and that you are willing to wait if necessary.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Hi OP. I have a double BOB stroller and have stayed at the WL with it and BLT (and the CR before kids). If you can swing the extra $$$, I would pick the CR. Our WL trip was almost your exact dates in May. We really loved the resort but the CR transportation options are so much easier with kids and with the Bob, you will need it. The boat to the MK during our stay alternated the small boat with the larger boat. You cannot roll the stroller on the small boat and because of its bulky fold, it's a little difficult to get on the smaller boat. There is one larger boat tht they had in use a couple of times that has a different entry in and you cannot get the stroller on if anybody at has entered with a ecv, a wheelchair, or another double. Also, WL has only has bus options for the other 3 parks and once again, BOB is difficult. I cannot say enough about the ease of the walk to the MK and the monorail to Epcot. Have fun planning.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

That walkway is worth it's weight in gold for my family. To not be trapped in MK hours after closing because we're relying on unreliable Disney transportation? Yep, we love CR and BLT.

The other resorts are good too, but the walkway makes it worth it for us.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #23
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Thank you all! I'm keeping the ressie at CR. Maybe we'll try WL when the kiddos are a little older and we are without the double stroller.

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue View Post
Thank you all! I'm keeping the ressie at CR. Maybe we'll try WL when the kiddos are a little older and we are without the double stroller.
unless your double stroller is small - you or your husband may have trouble with it getting on the buses. would take 2 small fold up strollers instead.

you will need to rides buses to get to Studios, AK and DD - if you are going to these places.

also love CR/BLT for those nights when you stay late and the MK is closing then another park is closing - the lines can get long....

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #25
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Did not Like the wing. Small elevator, too claustrophobic for my liking. You can have a long walk depending where your room is. Only booked it because the tower was not available. I never stayed as I hated it that much. Still no availability at the tower so I moved to gf. If I ever go back to the contemporary it is tower or nothing
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #26
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Just a heads up on the monorail. We stayed at BLT in October and every time we got the monorail at CR, the CMs there asked everyone to remove their kids from and fold the strollers up. So there isn't any guarantee that you won't have to fold the stroller. You might even want to try going without the stroller since your kids are school aged.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #27
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

Just a heads up on the monorail. We stayed at BLT in October and every time we got the monorail at CR, the CMs there asked everyone to remove their kids from and fold the strollers up. So there isn't any guarantee that you won't have to fold the stroller. You might even want to try going without the stroller since your kids are school aged.
I would love to know why you experienced this and I go all the time and never once have seen or heard this. Even during Thanksgiving when it was packed no one was asked to do this. More likely than not you will not be asked to do this with children and strollers. I was also there mlk weekend another crowded time and not once.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #28
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4bby View Post
I would love to know why you experienced this and I go all the time and never once have seen or heard this. Even during Thanksgiving when it was packed no one was asked to do this.
We were there in mid-October and usually boarded the monorail later in the morning, during the afternoon or in the early evening. We were there for nine nights.

The CMs announced before the monorail arrived from the MK, that the monorail was crowded and that all guests would need to remove their kids and fold the strollers.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #29
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Weird like I said it was packed thanksgiving and not once did anyone have to do this. We stayed at gf and took the mono a lot that week. At different times. No one said boo. Mlk was a hot mess also stayed at poly and took the mono no one was asked to do that. So I went at peak times and did not experience what you say you did
Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #30
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Good choice! May is good CR weather. Save the WL for a winter trip after Thanksgiving, when the resort is in its holiday decor!

WL looks (and feels) better in the cooler times of the year.

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: