Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

Facebook and Death

I'm not sure if this has been asked before. When you die, if no one removes or deactivates your page, does it go on forever until Facebook itself "dies"? or is there a deactivation time setting?

Just one of the things that pops into my head. What do you wonder about randomly sometimes?

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

Not sure. I am friends with 2 people who passed away 2 years ago. Their page is still there and not taken over by someone.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

Gives me a little bit of a start when I see a friend that passed come up on FB.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

My cousin passed away in 2009 and her account is still active. Every time it gives me a birthday reminder I cringe. She died at 32 when her gallbladder ruptured.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies View Post
Gives me a little bit of a start when I see a friend that passed come up on FB.
The birthday reminders for people that have passed away creep me out. I deleted a couple deceased friends because of that.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I've heard that the family has to contact Facebook and provide proof of the person's death. Then it can either be taken down or changed to a memorial site maintained by the family.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Strange you should be asking. There were articles out this week on states that are looking into this issue.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/...ry?id=18401047
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I have a couple people on my Facebook who have passed.

One of them, I still get occasional posts from (some of those automatic things) but it is a bit creepy to get a notice about that person has posted on my wall. Another one, the page is also still active, and we still occasionally post on her wall and stuff. I think it is somewhat comforting.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I had a coworker from the Orlando office who retired. Her e-mail address is in my address book. I kept seeing a friend suggestion for her husband on my page, I guess because he used the same e-mail address. The picture was of the 2 of them so I knew it was her. I looked at his page once, there was nothing current. She included me in an e-mail she sent out and I e-mailed her back asking how she was doing. Her husband died a couple of years ago!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
Strange you should be asking. There were articles out this week on states that are looking into this issue.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/...ry?id=18401047
Really? I'll have to check that out. It's a thought I've had a few times, just always filed it away for "later" lol.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I've heard that the family has to contact Facebook and provide proof of the person's death. Then it can either be taken down or changed to a memorial site maintained by the family.
When my DSIL died, my niece went in and figured out her mom's password, then deleted the account.

You know, if everyone had good password vaulting programs on their computers and their spouse or one loved one knew their log-in password. . .it would probably make things a lot easier for everyone.

I think DH and I are going to vault our passwords this weekend.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

I have two deceased friends on my Facebook list. We write on their walls for their birthdays, Christmas, the day they passed, or whenever we're thinking of them. It's just really nice to have this visual, seeing that people haven't forgotten our friends who have passed on.

Dawn <3
Phyllis <3

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

I think that a Facebook page (without bullying comments like mentioned in that article) can be a beautiful tribute to someone's life. If my family took mine down, I'd be disappointed (if I wasn't, you know... dead). I lost a friend several years ago and I sometimes look at his pictures or posts when I am missing him. His friends and family post updates about their lives on his page and we share memories of him there. I do think someone should be able to take control just in case someone says something insensitive, but I think it's quite comforting to leave it there.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #14
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstrom View Post
I have two deceased friends on my Facebook list. We write on their walls for their birthdays, Christmas, the day they passed, or whenever we're thinking of them. It's just really nice to have this visual, seeing that people haven't forgotten our friends who have passed on.

Dawn <3
Phyllis <3
Same here. When missing old friends I like to occasionally look at old photos and post that I was thinking of them. I see others do the same. I like it, and hope my page stays up after I die.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #15
Free4Life11
DIS Cast Member
I just have to say it one more time...YAGE!
"ba-doinka-a-doink-doink"

https://www.facebook.com/help/search/?query=death

https://www.facebook.com/help/265593773453448
Free4Life11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: