Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #46
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyhomer
Cheers DVCNuts....Cheers...get it...?

Even though I love the mug, i just don't fancy having two in my cupboard(They are pretty big).

Got the Med coming up in July, can't wait now, already did the Med in 2011..
Cheers! ----->. (_)D
Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #47
Funky Chicken
misses the Citrus Swirl at Sunshine Tree Terrace!

Here are a few more drink "things" to consider.

The wine packages are not unreasonably priced. Still, there is no enormous financial advantage to
buying a wine package over just ordering bottles or glasses as you go.
There area few different ways to save on drink prices.
Daily drink specials
Beer mug program
Bucket of beers (pay for 5, get a 6th free)
2 for 1 specials at certain times in certain locations-the last hour of service at the Serenity Bay
Beach bar is 2 for 1, so we got 2 Konk Coolers for less than $6 including the 15% (we added to the tip on the
receipt).
We are not big drinkers. Even if we were, I don't look at a Disney ship as the most appropriate place to get drunk for
many reasons. It is easy enough to feel sick on board-ships motion, overeating, lack of sleep. I see no reason to add to that
possibility during the most expensive week of my year. It is also easy to hurt yourself on board-wet surfaces, lots of stairs, activities that
you are not used to like Aquaduck. A drink here or there can add to the fun, but there is really nothing good that comes from pounding cocktails.
Last-I really don't want my child to see me behaving differently on vacation because I am drinking differently than I do at home. This is important to
me based on my family history. Not trying to be a party pooper, but I was the kid with the publicly drunk parent and it sucked.
There you go. Maybe too much information.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #48
TamaraH
Mouseketeer

I completely agree. We are not huge drinkers either but we both enjoy wine with dinner (no more than 2 glasses each regularly) and DH may have a beer or two during the day. I can't see myself drinking anything really during the day but you never know and definitely not more than one (except for a tasting probably). So I think we will probably do the wine package and I'll just get him the beer mug and I think that'll be good. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I would be really lost without everyone sharing their experiences and tips/tricks on these boards.

Now about the tipping conversation, that just makes me so shocked and sad. 😧 I already have the recommended tips budgeted (plus a little padding) but should we plan on more? And as far as the cash tips for room outside of the regular tipping, what about Castaway Cay and excursions? Do we tip there too?
Disney Fantasy October 2013 - Eastern Caribbean

TamaraH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #49
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraH
I completely agree. We are not huge drinkers either but we both enjoy wine with dinner (no more than 2 glasses each regularly) and DH may have a beer or two during the day. I can't see myself drinking anything really during the day but you never know and definitely not more than one (except for a tasting probably). So I think we will probably do the wine package and I'll just get him the beer mug and I think that'll be good. Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I would be really lost without everyone sharing their experiences and tips/tricks on these boards.

Now about the tipping conversation, that just makes me so shocked and sad. dde27 I already have the recommended tips budgeted (plus a little padding) but should we plan on more? And as far as the cash tips for room outside of the regular tipping, what about Castaway Cay and excursions? Do we tip there too?
Your little extra padding is great if you think they gave you great service . My extra padding always gets spent on the workers as I've always felt they deserved more than the recommended amount ! I tip any extras in cash , the workers have told me that's what they use for themselves for a treat when they happen to get a few hrs off when they are at port . One told me he bought coffee / snacks & bought Internet minutes to keep in touch with his family . As far as excursions go you will need $$$ for those if your booking outside of Disney plus most of them get a tip . At Castaway Cay everything can be charged to your KTTW card & if you order a drink an automatic 15 % is added but there is a line if you wish to add more or you can put a dollar or 2 in the folder with the receipt ! Enjoy your cruise ...
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #50
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrakit View Post
Your little extra padding is great if you think they gave you great service . My extra padding always gets spent on the workers as I've always felt they deserved more than the recommended amount ! I tip any extras in cash , the workers have told me that's what they use for themselves for a treat when they happen to get a few hrs off when they are at port . One told me he bought coffee / snacks & bought Internet minutes to keep in touch with his family . As far as excursions go you will need $$$ for those if your booking outside of Disney plus most of them get a tip . At Castaway Cay everything can be charged to your KTTW card & if you order a drink an automatic 15 % is added but there is a line if you wish to add more or you can put a dollar or 2 in the folder with the receipt ! Enjoy your cruise ...

As someone who worked in the restaurant industry for over 15 years, I am a total cash tipper. Any extras will be cash.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #51
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta

As someone who worked in the restaurant industry for over 15 years, I am a total cash tipper. Any extras will be cash.
I've asked several workers if they mind getting cash & they all they love getting extra & get to keep it themselves & not have to pool tips ! You can also add extra to your account if you don't carry extra cash ...
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #52
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
I've asked several workers if they mind getting cash & they all they love getting extra & get to keep it themselves & not have to pool tips ! You can also add extra to your account if you don't carry extra cash ...
They pool their tips? Bleh. Cash for sure. And treats. I added bags of treats to my list.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #53
TamaraH
Mouseketeer

Okay, I will plan on extra cash then for additional tips then. I think we will do one Non DCL excursion in St. Maarten so I will bring tip money for that but any other excursions will be through DCL (I believe). So with those DCL excursions, tips can be done through your account? If we go through the extra cash I bring, then, at least I will know there's a fall back.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #54
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

I don't think the tip can be added but I may be wrong . We always tip in cash for excursions ! I always bring cash incase anyone wants to purchase anything along the way & bring extra tip $$$ ...
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #55
TamaraH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't think the tip can be added but I may be wrong . We always tip in cash for excursions ! I always bring cash incase anyone wants to purchase anything along the way & bring extra tip $$$ ...
Ohhhh, okay thanks for the clarification. I will just have to budget tips wisely.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #56
karl_nj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Here are a few more drink "things" to consider.

The wine packages are not unreasonably priced. Still, there is no enormous financial advantage to
buying a wine package over just ordering bottles or glasses as you go.
I don't recommend the wine package. If you choose "poorly" it's possible to lose money on the package:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=17
karl_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #57
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_nj

I don't recommend the wine package. If you choose "poorly" it's possible to lose money on the package:

And then there's people like me, who know that the Iron Horse can only be bought through Disney experiences... so I buy wine packages based on how many bottles of that I think I can drink over the course of the cruise. LOL.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #58
TamaraH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_nj View Post

Interesting you should post this link as I was just about to look to see if a comparison had been done. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #59
Funky Chicken
misses the Citrus Swirl at Sunshine Tree Terrace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_nj View Post

You are correct, and I noticed that onboard last month.
I am far from a wine genius. Our tablemates were very well versed in wine, and they guided us thru the list a little bit. He made a very good point early on-choosing the wine by price doesn't really help you if you don't like the choice or if it doesn't pair well with your dinner. He ended up "down" about $15 over the course of his package but didn't care because he was happy with his selections.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #60
teamadco
Earning My Ears

Awesome info...we are sailing with our 3 yr old so dont plan on drinking much but nice to be prepared for sticker price of beverages. My husband is excited about that beer mug though.

Connie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disney Wonder November 2015
Disney Magic April 2013
teamadco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: