Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #421
sharonW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Moving to the Transportation sticky.
ok, I'll try and find out where that is!!!
sharonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #422
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonW View Post
ok, I'll try and find out where that is!!!
It's already been moved...just go to page one of this thread and you can start at the beginning.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #423
cc-atl
Mouseketeer

hi.

We will be staying at a Disney Resort but making a few trips to Universal. We will have our car. I am wondering about the best route to take. We plan on travelling to Universal on at these times:

Saturday 2/9 at around 3pm
Sunday 2/10 for the 9am opening
Monday 2/11 for the 9am opening

I am particularly worried about traffic on Saturday 2/9 because there is a concert that evening at US and on Monday 2/11 with am rush hour traffic.

If you experts/locals were travelling from Disney to Orlando on those days which routes would you take?

Thanks
cc-atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #424
aimsicle
Earning My Ears

Large family combo trip--transportation?

We are planning a trip WAY ahead (for October 2014), and at that time there will be 8 of us:
me, dh and 6 kids (ages 17, 16, 16, 14, 11, and 4) at the time of the trip

We need some time to save $$$

I have been to WDW with two of the kids, but the rest of them have never been, and given that some are HP fans and they are older, I thought a combo trip may be most appropriate. It is going to be the big family trip before many of them go to college.

I was thinking that it may be best to start at WDW for 5 days and end at Universal for two days (staying onsite because I bet a couple of the teens will want to do the Halloween Nights thing). And then was thinking that getting a rental van for the last few days for Universal may be the cheapest route to go in terms of transportation. Could I rent one at WDW and drop off at the airport?

Are there any other ways we could do this? I know it is already going to be $$$, but I do want to cut corners when it is reasonable.

Most likely we will be there from a Friday night to a Sunday morning.
aimsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #425
Cathmark
Disney Veteran

Transportation Needs

We have used "Tiffany Towncar Service" for many years and have always been very pleased with their service.. In October 2012 we used them to transfer both from MCO to WDW and then back to MCO. There were 4 of us and they provided a SUV for transfer. They also have vans to provide transportation if needed. They have a web site to check rates and make a reservation. We will be using them again in October 2013.
Cathmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #426
Cathmark
Disney Veteran

Transportation Needs

New to posting. Sorry if I did not provide the information you wanted. I thought I was posting to another request for information.
Cathmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #427
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Since there is already a sticky thread on transportation, I'm going to combine this thread into that one.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #428
catpowers
Mouseketeer

Hi. We're flying in from BOS to MCO in August. We booked our trip through Disney but are going to US first so when we did our US reservations we did the roundtrip airport pickup option ($30 pp) and the transportation company will bring us to the Poly at Disney instead of MCO when we leave US. Then when we leave Disney the following week we'll use Disney's transportation to get back to the airport. All in all, perhaps not the most cost effective solution, but since we had to get from MCO to US anyway and could only book it as a round-trip, ehh, it worked for us and only took a phone call to setup the transpo to Poly!

8/7 - 8/17/13 Polynesian Resort

8/22 - 8/31/10 Polynesian Resort
catpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #429
chinhk
Mouseketeer

We are searching for transportion options from WDW (Grand Floridian Resort) to Universal in Sept. Thanks to the info from this thread, I have gathered that my party of 4 adults would probably be best to just take a taxi from the WDW to Universal in the morning and then a taxi back to the resort. However, we still have a few questions and hope some of the experts here have the answers to them....

1. If the park opens at 9am (the parks' opening hours for Sept is still not released online yet), what time do you think we should leave the resort? Would 8.30am be okay or should we aim for an earlier time? I would like to be there just before opening.

2. Although it may be more cost effective to travel in a taxi for the four of us, I'm wondering how easy it would be for us to get a taxi back to WDW resort from Universal at the end of the day? We have considered to used a chattered service ie Tiffany towncar service etc (at least we know for sure that the return journey is booked at a certain time and we don't have to worry about waiting for or finding a taxi back to WDW but of course that is also less flexible compared to the taxi option).

Previous trips
24-28 June 2004 Kyriad Hotel - Disneyland Paris
22-26 Dec 2004 Newport Bay Hotel - Disneyland Paris
3-6 April 2006 Santa Fe Hotel - Disneyland Paris
18-21 Dec 2006 Cheyenne Hotel - Disneyland Paris
11-16 July 2007 Disneyland Hotel (Castle Club) - Disneyland Paris
Feb 2010 Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge - Magic Kingdom
Dec 2011 Sequoia Lodge - Disneyland Paris
4 Feb 2012 - Hong Kong Disneyland
chinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #430
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinhk View Post
We are searching for transportion options from WDW (Grand Floridian Resort) to Universal in Sept. Thanks to the info from this thread, I have gathered that my party of 4 adults would probably be best to just take a taxi from the WDW to Universal in the morning and then a taxi back to the resort. However, we still have a few questions and hope some of the experts here have the answers to them....

1. If the park opens at 9am (the parks' opening hours for Sept is still not released online yet), what time do you think we should leave the resort? Would 8.30am be okay or should we aim for an earlier time? I would like to be there just before opening.

2. Although it may be more cost effective to travel in a taxi for the four of us, I'm wondering how easy it would be for us to get a taxi back to WDW resort from Universal at the end of the day? We have considered to used a chattered service ie Tiffany towncar service etc (at least we know for sure that the return journey is booked at a certain time and we don't have to worry about waiting for or finding a taxi back to WDW but of course that is also less flexible compared to the taxi option).
you can assume that the park hours for September will be 9:00 am.

if the taxi drives I4 to the darkside, 30 minutes won't be enough time for you to get there at opening time.

you never know what type of traffic you will hit by leaving the motherland at 8:30.

buy your tickets in advance so you won't have that wait time to buy them when once in the park.

taxis are easy to find.
the TM's will help you get one when you leave the park.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #431
chinhk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
you can assume that the park hours for September will be 9:00 am.

if the taxi drives I4 to the darkside, 30 minutes won't be enough time for you to get there at opening time.

you never know what type of traffic you will hit by leaving the motherland at 8:30.

buy your tickets in advance so you won't have that wait time to buy them when once in the park.

taxis are easy to find.
the TM's will help you get one when you leave the park.
Thanks for the advice. I think we will leave the resort at 8am the latest and will definitely buy our tickets online. Will deicide if we need the the express upgrade only when we are at the park.

Previous trips
24-28 June 2004 Kyriad Hotel - Disneyland Paris
22-26 Dec 2004 Newport Bay Hotel - Disneyland Paris
3-6 April 2006 Santa Fe Hotel - Disneyland Paris
18-21 Dec 2006 Cheyenne Hotel - Disneyland Paris
11-16 July 2007 Disneyland Hotel (Castle Club) - Disneyland Paris
Feb 2010 Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge - Magic Kingdom
Dec 2011 Sequoia Lodge - Disneyland Paris
4 Feb 2012 - Hong Kong Disneyland
chinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #432
Sheila E.
Mouseketeer

this is what we did

We purchased a Universal park to park deal thru DreamsUnlimited that also included shuttle service from your Disney resort, it worked great for us.
Sheila E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #433
TangerineZoe
Earning My Ears

Cab rates

Hi, we're staying at the Royal Pacific next week and 3 of us just decided to split a cab to the resort from MCO, and then again from Universal to WDW because according to online fare calculators, that just seemed the least expensive/most efficient. Our flight gets in around 5pm on Wed and we're planning to leave Universal on Fri around 6pm. What's the traffic like in Orlando?
TangerineZoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #434
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineZoe View Post
Hi, we're staying at the Royal Pacific next week and 3 of us just decided to split a cab to the resort from MCO, and then again from Universal to WDW because according to online fare calculators, that just seemed the least expensive/most efficient. Our flight gets in around 5pm on Wed and we're planning to leave Universal on Fri around 6pm. What's the traffic like in Orlando?
You will be leaving during rush hour so the traffic is going to be bad. I-4 is like a parking lot most afternoons from 4-7:30PM and if there's an accident or broken down car, look out! If you take a cab, make sure the driver doesn't go on I-4 if at all possible...they should know the back roads to get you from Universal to WDW as quickly as possible. Still...you will run into delays around The Crossroads area...just a fact of life.

I'm going to merge this thread with the transportation sticky.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #435
mizzouchief74
Mouseketeer

universal ?

How long does it take to get to Universal from Disney Port Orleans?

Thanks
Jeff
mizzouchief74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: