Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Off Kilter Is Being "Fiddled" With!

For anyone who hasn't heard,reports are that the great Keyboardist for OK,Tony Escapa,is leaving the Band and will be replaced by their "fill-in" Fiddle player Jason Thomas.

I have mixed feelings-I LOVE Fiddle playing and Jason is EXCELLENT,but it is so sad to see Tony leave after all these years!!!!

It will be interesting to see what this change means for the band musically.
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
bleeps
DIS Veteran

I always wonder how they all stay with it year after year -- I can understand reaching the point where you need to move on (as much as I'd wish to always have the same crew!). I imagine they'll just evolve a little with this change, but as long as they continue to be as popular as they have been they'll be keeping things the way they know we love them!

WDW once a year since 2003!
bleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

I think this will be an interesting change for the group, as it will allow them to bring in music from other areas of Canada. I mean ... they probably could have before, but with the extra fiddle, it opens up the group to more French-Canadian folk music, which could be terrific! I'm looking forward to seeing what the guys come up with.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
I think this will be an interesting change for the group, as it will allow them to bring in music from other areas of Canada. I mean ... they probably could have before, but with the extra fiddle, it opens up the group to more French-Canadian folk music, which could be terrific! I'm looking forward to seeing what the guys come up with.

You might want to re-check the bios for the boys in the band. None of them are Canadian. I believe that Tony is Puerto Rican. And the band has never billed itself or styled itself as a Canadian band. They're known as a Celtic Rock band. Granted, Celtic music is quite popular in the Maritimes, but French Canada has never been a hot bed of Celtic Rock. I doubt they are fluent enough in French, let alone the French Canadian joual to ever attempt it.

Last edited by minnie mum; 02-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
BillSears
DIS Veteran

Nonsense! They're all from Canada!!!! I see them walk out on stage from "Canada" every time they perform.
CR-77, Travelodge(DTD)-81, Poly-92, SOG-96, Offsite-97, ASMu-98, POR-03, Vistana Resort-04, WL-Sept 2006! CSR-December 2006, Pop-May 2007(first solo trip!), CSR-Sept 2007(Solo trip), and offsite-May-2008 visited Universal, SeaWorld, KSC and a couple of days at WDW. WL-March 2009 I turned 50 in WDW! May-10 Pop, Oct 2010- Pop for first F&W, Dec 2010-Pop for Christmas stuff, May 2011-POFQ. Pop Aug -14, Pop Sept-14, Pop Dec-14 and Pop May-15! Trip report from 1997:http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip....97/sears97.htm
BillSears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
madge
... is soaking in it

so the group will have Jason & Jamie together?! Looking forward to that!

will miss Tony, though. we were bummed when he wasn't playing a couple of weeks ago

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
You might want to re-check the bios for the boys in the band. None of them are Canadian. I believe that Tony is Puerto Rican. And the band has never billed itself or styled itself as a Canadian band. They're known as a Celtic Rock band. Granted, Celtic music is quite popular in the Maritimes, but French Canada has never been a hot bed of Celtic Rock. I doubt they are fluent enough in French, let alone the French Canadian joual to ever attempt it.
I know they're not Canadian. I don't think I said anywhere that they were! What I did say was that they could possibly bring more French-Canadian music in. Just as the entire choir at Candlelight learns French and Spanish and German lyrics, I'm fairly certain that the Off Kilter guys are capable of learning a few songs in a language not their own. Besides ... there are a lot of French-Canadian folk tunes that are instrumentals -- no lyrics at all. There are lots of possibilities.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
For anyone who hasn't heard,reports are that the great Keyboardist for OK,Tony Escapa,is leaving the Band and will be replaced by their "fill-in" Fiddle player Jason Thomas.

I have mixed feelings-I LOVE Fiddle playing and Jason is EXCELLENT,but it is so sad to see Tony leave after all these years!!!!

It will be interesting to see what this change means for the band musically.
It's not surprising. They been performing together since 1997 which is longer than a lot of marriages last. In the past few years, there have few times we've seen the original five members.

I'm actually surprised it's just one band member leaving and not the entire group. Disney is not exactly loyal to their Epcot entertainment.

As far as Jason is concerned, he's subbed on numerous occasions when Tony hasn't been there so it's not that far of a stretch. And Jason is an excellent fiddler.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
carlyle688
DIS Veteran

The band has so much more fun and plays a lot wider range of songs when Jamie is not there. In my opinion, he's the next one that needs to go. I'd be happy with Jason and Billy in place of Tony and Jamie.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyle688 View Post
The band has so much more fun and plays a lot wider range of songs when Jamie is not there. In my opinion, he's the next one that needs to go. I'd be happy with Jason and Billy in place of Tony and Jamie.
is Billy the other guitar player? he was a new to me face a couple of weeks ago.

I've loved listening to Jason since he played in a band that played at Canada on Off Kilter's off days, way back in the day. He's a great addition to the band!

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
luvmick
Mouseketeer

NOOOO Jamie needs to stay, love the group but Jamie is the best!!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

if it's not jamie, mark and randy, it's not off-kilter.

i wish mark would sing lead more, though...

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyle688 View Post
Really? With the avatar you have? Jamie is the heart of Off Kilter. I consider him THE founding "father". He makes bagpiping look effortless and we all know it's not.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: