Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer

I've never been huge on POR- would you ever consider CSR? It's my favorite moderate- gorgeous, updated, easy bus system, etc. Love love love it!

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
Ima Disnewby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
I was going to say this too, because it sounds like the OP is thinking that she can do two days in one park this way instead of by buying hoppers.
no, i understand how the hoppers vs the base tix work, i was just torn on buying a 4 day w/hopper OR a 5 day base...i'm strongly leaning towards a 5 day base and so is dh. it will give us a chance to make to absolute most out of our vacation by being able to go into a park on the day we get there & the day we leave
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
Ima Disnewby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude&jonah View Post
I've never been huge on POR- would you ever consider CSR? It's my favorite moderate- gorgeous, updated, easy bus system, etc. Love love love it!
i actually LOVED the theme of CSR but dh and the kids weren't as thrilled with it, so that one went to choice #3

CBR went to choice #2 because we all liked it (the kids especially loved the pirate pool) but the double beds & everything i hear about how massive the place is always make me worry about ever booking it...

when we all saw POFQ it was everyones #1 favourite, no one had to compromise.

gee...now that i see it in writing like that, i should stop being so darn cheap
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer

I honestly don't blame you- I would want the discount too knowing all the other resorts were getting it I didn't think I would love CSR as much as I did. It felt a lot more tropical than it did southwestern to me- which was a big plus because it was the southwestern part that almost held me back when I was first booking it.

But I totally get you on where the kids are coming from- hey I think theming is super important to where you choose!

I'm doing CBR this time for a change of pace despite knowing it's large. I've heard that even in the farthest building out it's only a 7 minute walk from the main building and there are bus stops everywhere. I just love the caribbean feel and so that for me trumped POFQ and POR. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the bus system- but I've also heard people say the buses were no problem for them. We'll see how it goes!

Good luck with where you end up staying!!! It'll be a great trip no matter what!

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
charliesmom86
Mouseketeer

I would definitely choose POR. I would pass on the Park Hoppers though because we went for our first trip last May and we didn't get them and still had a ton to do! As for the Animal Kingdom day since it is more of a half day park(or was for us) we left at about 3 and took a break until about 7 and went to Downtown Disney for the night. We had so much to do!

May 21-29, 2012-Pop Century
May 2014-?
Me DF DS8
charliesmom86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
Ima Disnewby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesmom86 View Post
I would definitely choose POR. I would pass on the Park Hoppers though because we went for our first trip last May and we didn't get them and still had a ton to do! As for the Animal Kingdom day since it is more of a half day park(or was for us) we left at about 3 and took a break until about 7 and went to Downtown Disney for the night. We had so much to do!
i am actually SO relieved to hear that!!! everyone i have talked to just seems to rave about animal kingdom but we just haven't seen much about it that appeals to us so far idk, to each their own i suppose. we aren't big animal lovers by any means though and my kids are always bored stiff at the zoo or museums, they need more to DO.

i was thinking along the lines of checking it out and hopefully going on to downtown disney later on in the day/evening. glad to know it's a possibility
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #22
dminnie
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure how old your kids are. Mine are in teens and are not big swimmers. They were unimpressed by the pool at FQ. The slide is more for 4-5 year olds.

POR, CSR and CBR are all large resorts. Some people are bothered by the walking. Others don't care or pay for upgrading to preferred rooms to avoid walking much. We have never paid for a preferred room. We just ask for a room with a good location. At CBR, the buildings just across the bridge from the food court and pool are not that big of a walk. At POR, the mansion closest to the bridge is also not that long of a walk at all...and it's NOT preferred.

Many of the royal rooms at POR and pirate rooms at CBR are the furthest away from the pool and food court. You pay for decor, not location on those.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
alc571
DIS Veteran

Just my two cents..we did the 5 day pass (no hopper) on our last trip, plus one MNSSHP ticket. We didn't miss the park hopper until the last day when our son really wanted to end the trip at MK and we had already been to EP earlier in the day. After a horrible mixup with a CM at POR and another two at the gates of MK, we ended up having to pay for hoppers at 8pm on the last night of our vacation! It ended up being worth it just so our son had the great memory, but would have been a better investment on day one. Especially when AK and DHS were half-day parks for us.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc571
Just my two cents..we did the 5 day pass (no hopper) on our last trip, plus one MNSSHP ticket. We didn't miss the park hopper until the last day when our son really wanted to end the trip at MK and we had already been to EP earlier in the day. After a horrible mixup with a CM at POR and another two at the gates of MK, we ended up having to pay for hoppers at 8pm on the last night of our vacation! It ended up being worth it just so our son had the great memory, but would have been a better investment on day one. Especially when AK and DHS were half-day parks for us.
You could have just cried and gotten them for free like a lady in another thread. I think you did the right thing and set a good example for your kids.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine

You could have just cried and gotten them for free like a lady in another thread. I think you did the right thing and set a good example for your kids.
Really uncalled for.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #26
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude&jonah View Post
I only personally know one person who has stayed at CSR, and she disliked it and it's theme (too much like SoCal, I guess for her taste.) So one person's paradise is another's purgatory - which is why it's so great that Disney has 23+ resorts to choose from.
Here's a youtube link if you want to get a feel for POR, or search w/ any of the resort names on youtube and there's a billion of them for each resort.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emk30JtrCvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Disnewby View Post
i am actually SO relieved to hear that!!! everyone i have talked to just seems to rave about animal kingdom but we just haven't seen much about it that appeals to us so far idk, to each their own i suppose. we aren't big animal lovers by any means though and my kids are always bored stiff at the zoo or museums, they need more to DO.

i was thinking along the lines of checking it out and hopefully going on to downtown disney later on in the day/evening. glad to know it's a possibility
I personally love AKL, but many find it to be a half day park. Be sure to catch the finding Nemo show and the Lion King show and It's Tough to be a Bug.
POR (which I have not stayed at) and POFQ (which I have stayed at) are sister resorts and you can use the facilities of both when staying at either one - you can walk or boat between the two. I was in the POFQ building closest to POR when I was there and the walk to POR was not much further than the walk to the other end of POFQ, but POR is a largish resort so how close you would be to POFQ could vary a lot.
Your plan to visit DTD for an off afternoon/evening is especially nice from these two resorts because of the lovely boat ride to and from DTD and each of the resorts - so pretty and relaxing.
You don't mention if you have any ADRs, but if you do have any in the parks and you opt to not get park hoppers, then the park where the ADR is will have to be your park for that day.

Last edited by sndral; 02-08-2013 at 07:09 PM.
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: