Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
jenni_bird
Earning My Ears

Decorating a wheelchair?

The last time we went to Disney we rented a wheelchair every day for my mother. This year we have decided that we are going to bring one from home. Does anyone have any ideas on how to decorate it for disney? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
jenni_bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
joanchris
Mouseketeer

It's not specifically Disney decorations, but we decorate my daughter's wheelchair with battery operated Christmas lights, people think it's really great (at Christmas time anyhow!)
2008 May--Flower and Garden Festival, (offsite)
2005 Oct--Food and Wine Festival, Contemporary
1992 Carribean Beach Resort
1972 or 1973(?) Contemporary

Wishgirl's WISHtrip report
joanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Maybe you could make a seat cushion or cover from Disney-themed fabric. Are you simply trying to easily identify it, or really want to go all-out decorated? You could tie a scarf on the handle.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
jenni_bird
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy
Maybe you could make a seat cushion or cover from Disney-themed fabric. Are you simply trying to easily identify it, or really want to go all-out decorated? You could tie a scarf on the handle.

Enjoy your vacation!
We were wanting to identify it easily as well as make it look awesome!! Thanks for the tips
jenni_bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
lizzyb5280
Mouseketeer

Will you have small kids with you? Last time we went, my daughter loved to take the free stickers they sometimes give out and plaster them all over the back of my backrest. (2+ years later, they're mostly still there; I don't have the heart to remove them!)

1990 - First trip (Offsite) 1997 - Magic Music Days Performer (AS Music) 1999 - Family trip (Offsite) 2003 - Sisters & kids trip (AS Movies) 2010 - DD's first trip & 3rd birthday (CBR)
lizzyb5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

My daughter used fabric paint and white material to make a sign for the back of my seat. It is a picture of the Evil Queen from Snow White - my favorite character. It has our last name on it in "Disney" script. She really did an awesome job - I am lucky to have such talent in the house. Many have admired my sign.

The chair has been through two trips now. I am hoping to retire it before my May trip but that will depend on how chemo goes. So far I have had to use it for a broken foot and a trip taken 10 days after a total abdominal hysterectomy! May will be the next chemo trip.

I have seen chairs with Christmas lights that look awesome at night. If I end up having to use it for our November trip, I am going to look into that for MVMCP. I have also seen one with stars that glow in the dark clipped on to the wheels. That was pretty cool too.

It does help to identify your chair. I think if you have one that insurance or medicare paid for, it is an Invacare! I see lots of them and that is what mine is too. So it does get to be kind of like finding your stroller, especially at a ride like the Safari with a separate wheelchair boarding area.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
50surgeries2012
Mouseketeer

Smile

My power chair has some Disney themed items on it. Mostly just stickers on the back of my headrest, and backrest. I also have rear bike lights that flash, and are red. One is attached to the crossbar that is attached to the push handles on the back, and the other one is attached to my left footrest. I have Disney-themed fabric attached to the headrest, and backrest.

With my upcoming trip in April to Disneyland. I was thinking of sewing a Disney themed piece of fabric over my seat cushion. Not sure what to do with the backrest because it's one of those tension-adjustable ones. I'm sad that I won't be able to take my power chair on this trip because my friend who is taking my husband and me is renting a mid-size car. So, I'll have to take my manual wheelchair. Renting a power wheelchair either from the parks, or off-site is out of my budget this time.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
mom3girls2000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni_bird View Post
The last time we went to Disney we rented a wheelchair every day for my mother. This year we have decided that we are going to bring one from home. Does anyone have any ideas on how to decorate it for disney? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I second the battery-operated lights. I have snowflakes for my scooter for December and January, and tiny red lights for February.

I also have a flag I got at Disney on Ice, it's the flag from Tangled, with the yellow sun on a purple background, I'm trying to figure out how to attach it.
Along with Sarah (28) and her Chris (28), Rachel (27) and her Shachar (32), and Danielle (22)

30th Anniversary Grand Slam B2B DCL Fantasy Oct 11-18, 2014 + Oct 18-25, 2014
DCL Magic Jan 27 - 31, 2014 (with all our girls + a fiancé) PLUS Jan 25 + 26 pre-cruise in a Lion King Suite at the Art of Animation Resort!
New Year's Eve 2013 - Jan 3, 2014, DVC @ GF
Dec 18- 21, 2013 Off property (Parkway International Resort, Kissimmee)
Epcot's Int'l. Flower & Garden Festival 2013, All-Star Sports[/B][/COLOR]
FIRST B2B:
Feb 16, 2013 5-Nights (W. Carib ~ Cozumel & Castaway Cay) PLUS Feb 21, 2013 4-Nights out of Miami, FL
Christmas 2012 and NYE 2012/NY 2013 at Walt Disney World
Int'l Food & Wine Festival Nov. 3 - 9, 2012 ~ Split Stay: Boardwalk & AKL

August 17-24, 2012 off-site @ Liki Tiki Village in Winter Garden
Mar 2 - 10, 2012 for the International Flower & Garden Festival (AKL-JH and then off-site at Star Island, Kissimmee)

Feb 28 - Mar 1 for One More Disney Day @ ASMu
DCL~FIRST Cruise - CUPIDS IN THE CARIBBEAN (7-night Magic E. Carib. 2/11-18/2012)

Dec. 25, 2011 - does Disney on Ice (Dare to Dream) count?
DW 27th Anniversary 10/22/2011 AKL-KV + BLT plus 1 week off-site at Parkway International Resort (which gets a huge thumbs up)
DTD 2011 June 7 - Day Trip just for Dinner
DW 2011 April 15 - Day Trip to the Magic Kingdom with dh and our 3 princesses
Universal's Islands of Adventure 2011 March 18-20 - The Wizarding World of Harry Potter w/just me & #3
DW 2011 January - Star Island Resort (1 wk); Calypso Cay (1 wk)
DW 2010 Christmas Week - AKL-JH
DW 2010 Mid-Dec. - Magic Tree Resort (1.5 wks) w/#3 & her bff
DW Nov 8-11 2010 - Surprise DVC Gift AKL-JH
DW 2010 26th Anniversary Visit - Star Island Resort (1wk); Calypso Cay Resort (1 wk); Blue Tree Resort (1 wk)
DW 2010 Easter Week - OKWR
DW 2009 October Silver (25th) Anniversary Trip- All Star Music Resort (2 weeks)
DW Family Gathering 2007 - Star Island Resort
DW Honeymoon 1984 - Colony Plaza Hotel
[/COLOR]
mom3girls2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
SixUnderSix
Earning My Ears

I'm really wanting to decorate my son's wheelchair for his MAW trip. He'll be 3 in July so he's at the perfect age for it. I've been trying to look online and have decided, I'm probably just going to have to be creative and come up with something myself. I know part of what I'll be doing is creating and decorating spoke guards. His chair is a bright green with black on it so I'm trying to think of something I could do that would kind of go with his chair.....

Nikki (age 9)
Mikey (age 8)
Christopher (age 6)
Previous Wish kid, Jake (age 3 1/2)
Samuel (age 3 1/2):
"Charming" - foster son (13 months)
SixUnderSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

To the PP , Jimminy Crickett is green! Might be easier to go with a mostly green character?

To the OP, there are some neat decorations out there...but the most personal ones are of course the ones of do yourself!

Here are some examples though...the following link will show you some cool lights for wheels:
http://www.monkeylectric.com/m232_bike_light/

Or a little bit of a cheaper version where you can create your own design...
http://www.safetylightsandsignals.co...Fe4-MgoduVUAsg

Finally this last one gives a bunch of different websites and different additions you can add for different occasions..and different weather!
http://www.gettingbackup.org/resourc...lchair-extras/

Hope this helps! If you are truly on a budget- weaving different colored ribbon through the spokes or clipping on baseball cards to the wheels works well too and adds a little flare!

me on the way to DL...every time!
rewardsinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
zumbergc
DIS Veteran

I made a slip cover to go over the back of the ecv out of felt.
The ecv back of the rentals from walker, are easy to make the slip cover, because its just a simple pillow case type cover.

Then I have a Disney embroidery machine, and I made disney squares (with a different character on them, in a contrasting color. Then fabric glued them onto the felt slip cover. If you can sew. Using felt is easy because it doesn't fray and fairly sturdy.

You could also get the disney iron ons, or are they called appliques? Like at joann fabric - don't forget the 40% off coupons in the paper, or get their app and get digital coupons.

Then use a fabric glue and glue them onto some felt. Making the embroidary designs with my simple machine took a long time, but I have used it multiple times.
I even made something for my stroller so that it is easy to recognize.

However in the warm months the felt doesn't keep you cool if it touches your back. If it looks like rain I take it off in the morning or I fold it up and it get put away if I'm out.

Just remember to bring along whatever your planning to fasten the sign or creative thing you make. Then if it is or isn't water proof depending on the season you might want to make sure it can be removed, and stored so the hard work doesn't get ruined.

It does make finding things easier in the sea of ecvs
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
SixUnderSix
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewardsinlife View Post
To the PP , Jimminy Crickett is green! Might be easier to go with a mostly green character?
Oh my gosh, I have been thinking of something - I was kind of thinking Rex from Toy Story but I'm so glad you mentioned Jimminy Crickett - I'm going to see what I can think up using him as the character - thank you!!!

Nikki (age 9)
Mikey (age 8)
Christopher (age 6)
Samuel (age 3 1/2):
Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

The haunted mansion is also green and black. Also add white and purple details and you get buzz lightyear

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
SixUnderSix
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
The haunted mansion is also green and black. Also add white and purple details and you get buzz lightyear
I'd love to do Buzz - he's only 2 1/2 and doesn't know the haunted mansion so we probably won't do that until he's older. I'm the least creative person in the world so I'm getting a head start ;-)

Nikki (age 9)
Mikey (age 8)
Christopher (age 6)
Samuel (age 3 1/2):
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

This picture shows some lights that we put on my daughter's wheelchair. They were made for bicycles and consist of a very thin flexible colored plastic fiberoptic tube and a fairly small battery pack.
We wove the tubing thru the spokes of her wheels and attached the battery pack to a spoke on each wheel with Velcro and black electrical tape.
We used rechargeable batteries.

The lights come in various colors - we got aqua blue for one side and fuschia for the other.
I think these are the ones we bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wire-...ef=pd_sbs_hg_1

My daughter has glow in the dark stars on her wheel spokes also and she has a sort of decal thing of Tinkerbell on the back of her seat.
I've seen glow in the dark stickers, like these with Buzz Lightyear that might work
http://www.amazon.com/Glow-The-Dark-...buzz+Lightyear

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 03-12-2013 at 08:49 PM.
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: