DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
jennhart627
Earning My Ears

Member cruise

How does the member cruises work? Is there a discount for DVC members on those cruises? We are thinking about doing a cruise in 2014 and wondered if the member cruise would save us some points or money?
jennhart627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

The Member Cruise is more expense than a regular DCL cruise during the same time of the year. DVC charters the entire ship and they set the rates. Below is a link to the Point/Cash Rates for the 3-night that just sailed in Jan and the upcoming one in September.

http://advc.disney.go.com/media/dvc/...ise_120312.pdf
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennhart627
How does the member cruises work? Is there a discount for DVC members on those cruises? We are thinking about doing a cruise in 2014 and wondered if the member cruise would save us some points or money?
U have to have direct points to even book anymore. If all points r resale u can't go. There is no discount. The whole point of it is to go to presentations by various Disney talents that r booked. I look at them kinda like how the wdcc conventions used to be like but on a smaller scale. At least that's how I understand from friends who go each year.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Planning Thanksgiving Park/Cruise Trip!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Do you know ahead of time who the special guests/entertainer/speakers will be for the Member cruise? Or do you find out after you board the ship?

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenLo View Post
Do you know ahead of time who the special guests/entertainer/speakers will be for the Member cruise? Or do you find out after you board the ship?
After.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenLo View Post
In '05 we knew before. In '13, I think some were the same as on the September '12 cruise, but we did not know ahead of time. The gifts were the same, but fewer, since we had 1 less day.

I had doubts about doing the 3 night MC in January, but I am so glad I was on it.
Bobbi
Old 02-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
U have to have direct points to even book anymore. If all points r resale u can't go.
I believe that the restriction applies to those who have only resale points purchased after March 2011. I suspect those who purchased resale prior to that time are grandfathered for the member cruises, as they are for the other options.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Read a lot of reviews of RECENT Member Cruises before you book. I was jealous of folks who went on the early years, but lately it seems more like an overpriced sales pitch IMHO
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS
I believe that the restriction applies to those who have only resale points purchased after March 2011. I suspect those who purchased resale prior to that time are grandfathered for the member cruises, as they are for the other options.
My bad I left that out. Sorry

Planning Thanksgiving Park/Cruise Trip!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Read a lot of reviews of RECENT Member Cruises before you book. I was jealous of folks who went on the early years, but lately it seems more like an overpriced sales pitch IMHO
I did not attend one sales pitch, and thought the January MC was AWESOME! DSis who is not a DVC member thought it was one of her best cruises ever. I think the extra Disney experiences were exceptional!. The Broadway and Beyond show, with stars of Disney's Broadway shows, was my favorite cruise show.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Every member should experience a Member Cruise at least once. We have been on two, most recently the 3 day in January. The first time, in '08 we didn't really participate in very many of the special lectures, presentations, shows. We enjoyed the gifts, but had to buy an extra suitcase to bring it all home. This time we went to as many of the special lectures, presentations, shows that we could, I think the only thing we missed was the screening of the new HD Peter Pan, but we knew we would buy the blu-ray anyway, so that was ok. We really enjoyed this cruise much much more so than our first MC. I didn't even think they were pushing sales as much, more so providing content to help members, RCI, ABD etc. In '08 they were rolling out BLT and were pushing it hard.

We won't do the MC every year, but will plan on doing another one at some time in the future.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw
Every member should experience a Member Cruise at least once.
A nice thought, but if you only own recent resale points, apparently you aren't good enough to hang with the "cool kids" on a MC.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: