Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
gator girl
DIS Veteran

Just to clarify, the monorail ride is *not* the same as DL. You will only see the front gates of the park and the front of the train station... the monorail track remains outside the physical boundaries of the turnstiles at MK. You won't get that swing through the park to see the rides from above that's so great at DL.

The monorail *does* swing through Future World at Epcot, but that's not the park you were wanting to preview with a monorail ride.
gator girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmoku
unfortunately, we can't add days because of were using the military promo tickets (yay for savings but sad they're only 4 days). I like the suggestion of doing rope drop and pirates and then going to another park for the rest of the day. I've heard the parks are all themed amazingly well, but it's just something about main street and the castle and pirates that marks the official Disney vacation (for me anyway!)
I think that doing RD and a number of must-do rides and then hopping at lunch is a great plan. This is how we usually tour anyway and we use the transportation as a rest. Remember that September in FL is still very hot and humid so you will need breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Our park days always begin on Fridays for my family.....MK is NEVER a good park that day. However.....we always start our vacations at MK. It is tradition. It was the first park and it is the most child-like. We love starting there and then maybe heading over to Epcot in the afternoon.

Hope this helps!

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
VAN
DIS Veteran

I am responding to the OP without reading any of the responses ....

The first night, I would definitely ride the monorail and, might I suggest, plan to attend a dinner show. Specifically, I would recommend the Hoop de do Review ... there is nothing more Disney than that show!!! To get there, don't forget that you can ride on one of the ferries which will drop you off right at the marina of Fort Wilderness. Try to book one of the early shows so that you can get a good night sleep before heading to the parks on Monday.

I would agree that you might want to try a different park if your guide recommends so; HOWEVER, if it is your desire to go to the MK first, then by all means do so! Assume you paid for the park hopper feature (if not, I highly recommend it) ... be at the MK for rope drop, do some of the more popular attractions first, and then exit the park if things get too busy for your taste. With the PH you can head to another park which might be less busy.

This is your vacation, and I think you will enjoy it so much, that you will be back. SO, don't worry if you don't see/do everything ... just something to look forward to for another visit.
VAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
LekiaHall
Mouseketeer

We always start at MK. Gotta see that castle to know "I've arrived".

I just realized we're going "backwards" in our MK days.

On our first trip to Disney, I'm pretty sure we went on a Monday. Not overly crowded, but we also went before the Easter crowd hit.

Second trip, first day was a Sunday.

This year, it's a Saturday. I'm a bit nervous about this, but we always allot 2 days for MK, so we do everything we want to do.

Have a great 1st trip!!

LekiaHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #21
Max Rebo
Mouseketeer

I would add a day to your MYW package (shouldn't be too much more to upgrade a 4-day package to a 5-day package) and visit MK on Sunday, your arrival day. Doesn't have to be a "do the whole park" kind of visit — just a chance to slowly stroll up Main Street, get some photos of the castle and maybe take in a few select attractions ... maybe have dinner. Get a taste of MK and experience the thrill of "being there." Then, follow guidebook/website advice on where to spend the rest of your days.
Max Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
pickles
Just call me Capt. Barbossa-someone has to play the part of the bad pirate
Most Observant DISer Award

It is sept and odds are in your favor "busy" isnt busy

I will also be there last week sept..if you have hoppers, go and if you dont like it, leave

I would suggest epoct gets done before the weekend when food and wine folks show up
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
Suelala
Mouseketeer

You can also check daily recommendations on easywdw.com, at no cost.
If you feel like getting up early that first morning, get a park hopper if you dont have one, and head to MK for a walk down main street and maybe take in an attraction or two before it gets busy. Then hop, hop, hop over to a less busy park. I always feel like MK needs to be my first park of the trip, but it really doesnt matter. Have a great trip!!!!
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

For a Disneymoon, Epcot might be an acceptable first park but otherwise it's MK first all the way! Congrats!
Not too shabby for a consolation prize: a Disneyland pre-trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3200081
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #25
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

Here's my take:

Plan to do MK on that first full day, even if it is a Monday. We're going on a Monday this year in late Sept.

If you save it for later in the trip, who knows how the weather is going to be, and you may not have any days left to switch with MK and be forced to go to MK when the weather is bad.

We always do MK our first full day at the parks. This year that is on a Monday. MK isn't predicted to be very busy either of the last two Mondays in Sept.

Dan
POP, Sept 2011, 9 days Very Fun, Hot!
POP, Sept 2010, 8 days Magical!!!
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
mrsmoku
Mouseketeer

Sorry this is so delayed but I wanted to update!

We ended up heading to Downtown Disney Sunday night and had a good time. It wasn't as Disneyfied as I was expecting but still fun.

Monday morning we went to Hollywood Studios early and rode ToT and RnR. It was practically empty so we went on both 4 times. They were tons of fun and we loved them but by noon, we wanted to go to Magic Kindgom to actually start our DisneyWorld vacation!

Once we walked through the gates of Magic Kingdom, we got fastpasses, lunch, and went on Pirates and our other favorite rides. We were both so excited that we made it to DisneyWorld...so obviously we needed MK to make Disney officially start!

The lines were not long at all. DH refuses to wait in lines longer than 50/60 minutes and we rode a ton of rides that day so it wasn't that busy.
mrsmoku is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: