Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
cutielulu593
Earning My Ears

I have a "funny now, but not funny at the time" story about lanyards.

On my last Disney cruise, I was up on the top deck taking photos as we were leaving Nassau. It was sunset, and we had a great view of the island and the beautiful Atlantis resort! It was quite windy and I had my lanyard around my neck. The plastic card holder did not have a zipper or any other enclosure. The card just slid down in there. Well as my luck would have it, the wind picked up my lanyard and the plastic part flew up and flipped upside down. We had just gotten back on the ship so I had my license in there as well as my KTTW card. The licenses in my state aren't regular plastic cards, but instead a light flexible material. So, while my KTTW simply fell onto the deck beneath my feet, my license flew like a feather off the side of the deck and blew down and down and down... I thought it might land on a deck below me so at least I could retrieve it, but no. It watched it float all the way down and land in the crystal Bahamian water. I could not believe that it happened! Luckily, I had my passport which could be used as ID so I could get off the ship at my next port. My family liked to joke that some tropical fish now had my license and was now licensed to drive in NY.

So, for future cruises I've learned:
A. Don't carry your license or any other identification around with you for prolonged periods of time. After you get back on the ship, go back to your room and lock it up safely.
B. Get a lanyard with a plastic holder that has an enclosure, especially for the kiddos.
C. Put your KDDW in your pocket if you've got 'em!
cutielulu593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
cutielulu593
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald_Quackers View Post
Actually, the reader is on the door. I found a pic here:
That is a concierge room, so I don't know if it is different. I would be interested in seeing a picture of a regular door...
cutielulu593 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald_Quackers View Post
Actually, the reader is on the door. I found a pic here:
Hmmm...maybe I have faulty memory. I'll have to dig through pictures tonight to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemouse View Post
Any suggestions for what people do for their kids' cruise cards?

Do kids (mine are 7,4,1) need to even carry them around? If so, I think I had better get the older 2 a lanyard.

I always use a lanyard at WDW for my KTTW card so that will work great for the cruise.
The kids really don't need to carry their cards. You will need it to get on/off the ship, not even sure that it's needed at the kids club since they have Mickey Bands, though you'll need yours for pick-up.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: