Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
drtoby2
Earning My Ears

We've gone many times during this time. It is more crowded than off season, but they have longer hours. We do all the extra magic hours. We go to a park for early entry and then we leave around noon to go eat. After that we go to a different park for the afternoon. If they are having late night hours somewhere and we still have energy, we will go to that too. We find that we can do a lot more rides during the summer. The bad part is that we tire out and we lug around rain ponchos all day (we purchase ours at the Dollar Tree and throw them away after we use them once).

We also take advantage of getting into the parks early by booking an early breakfast at a park that does not have early entry that day.
drtoby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

OP, we're going June 1-8 and I have no worries that no matter what, it's going to be fun. I tried to figure out the best week of the summer based on the crowd calendars and people's opinions, and it seems that the first 2 weeks of June get high reviews for "lower" crowds and not a ton of heat...

We may head to SWW on the friday before we go, just to see what the hoopla is all about !

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomiTo2SwtGuys View Post
We are going the 3rd through the 12th this year. In the past we have went the last week of May into the first week of June and crowds have been manageable.
Same here, we always go last week of May into the first week of June and it's a great time to be there. Yes it can be a little warm and a little crowded at times, but very manageable. Plus the parks are starting their late, late hours. We will be there 5/31 through 6/10 this year. Can't wait!

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Last edited by Bullseye; 02-09-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
atp
Mouseketeer

I was at Disney in June 2010 from June 4th to June 16th. I don't know if it was because it was almost 3 years ago, but I actually thought it was just as crowded as when I went this past year in late October.

It really wasn't that bad, IMO. The only thing that I didn't like was that it was HOT. I tried going to Downtown Disney one morning and almost died. It wasn't so much that I was feeling hot and sweaty (because I wasn't even sweating) as the actual feeling of the sun burning my skin, it felt like I was walking on the surface of the sun.

But other than that, if I had to choose between the 2 months I would pick June. I thought it was much better to just be able to wear shorts everyday and never worry about bringing a coat.

Even though I hate hot weather, at Disney I feel it's best because I dislike having to bring extra clothes to the park and keep taking off coats, putting back on, never knowing what the weather is going to be like. I had no idea it could be like that in October, I figured it would be hot enough for water parks every day, just not horribly hot like the summer. But I was wrong...most days I was cold and it didn't help that the the air conditioning is kept on in most stores and rides even when it's very cold.

So unlike in the summer, when you can go to a ride or store to cool down, there's no where to go to warm up when it's unseasonally cold.

Also, in June, since the parks were open until 1am, 3am a lot of days (EMH) I could go back to the hotel and take a nap on the hours when it was really hot. It really wasn't too bad before 11am or so and after 3-4pm. That way I was at the parks when the weather was nice and it wasn't very crowded.

Last edited by atp; 02-08-2013 at 03:02 PM.
atp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
chiefmickeymouse
DIS Veteran

We are going the same dates, so thanks for starting this thread. I was worried because we have never gone in the summer, but it's the only time we can go.
chiefmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #21
DizFanSLD
Mouseketeer

Our last three trips have been at that time of year. This year we will arrive on 5/24 and leave on 6/2. Other than the Sunday and Monday of Memorial day weekend, the crowds are totally manageable. We love this time of year because the heat isn't too bad (not like July or August anyway!) and yet the longer summer hours have begun. We have always been able to see and do everything we wanted and still have plenty of down time at the pool and DTD. I don't think you can ask for a better blend of long hours, reasonable temps and manageable crowds at WDW then in late May/Early June.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

We went June 2-11 back in 2010. It was not as bad as what I was imagining. The humidity was really bad on a few days (like when you walk out of your room at 7am and you are dripping wet in 2 seconds), but other days it was fine.
We are going again in 2014 (June 7-21). We are rope droppers so that helps. We get up and get to the parks early...hit the headliners, then go back to the resort for swims/rest and head back to the parks in the evening.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
donnajherren
Mouseketeer

We'll be at WDW that first week of June, as well. As others have said, it's the only time we can get away. We're mostly worried about the crowds, because we're from the South and are used to unbearable, dog-awful heat and humidity. At least on days that end in Y. LOL
donnajherren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
BenKling
Mouseketeer

Sounds like there will be quite a few DISers going that week!

On the topic of EMH for this week, are they likely to change from the ones already listed? From the looks of things, there won't be any super late EMH...

We were at MK until 2am one day last year, and it was a really fun time.

BenKling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
bgg319
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKling

On the topic of EMH for this week, are they likely to change from the ones already listed? From the looks of things, there won't be any super late EMH...

I would like to know this as well. We will be there that week as well. We went back in 2010 and really enjoyed it. As PP noted it is the perfect blend if you are a early riser/midday napper/night owl .
bgg319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

We're there the 6th-13th! I'm not worried about the crowds, though. Maybe because I survived Spring Break/Easter on year?

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineOH View Post
Gay Days is May 30 - June 2 this year. It won't affect OP, but FYI for others. There is a designated park for each day, so you can avoid the crowds.
Right in the middle of Star Wars, but at least, it misses Memorial Day.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #28
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKling View Post

They will probably change the closing times as we get closer. (April or May?) But with the loss of the third hour of EMH this year I wouldn't expect any EMH closings beyond 2 am.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #29
ellie'smom
Mouseketeer

We did the first week in June a few years ago and really enjoyed it. We did rope drop and went back in the evenings. Our daughter was just 4 at the time so this worked well for us, Loved the Star Wars weekend
ellie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #30
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

We go that week every year for our anniversary. It seems that each year it gets more crowded than the year before - also have noticed the same for the week in Oct that we go for my birthday
and Food & Wine.
It can get extremely hot - especially since there is so much concrete and asphalt - and the shady spots to sit and rest are quickly taken.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: