Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
MichelleB
DIS Veteran

beds on disney dream

Last time I took a cruise the main bed in the cabin could be kept as a queen or split into 2 twins. Is this still an option on the Disney Dream?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
Last time I took a cruise the main bed in the cabin could be kept as a queen or split into 2 twins. Is this still an option on the Disney Dream?
No, on the Dream & Fantasy the queen bed is just that, a queen bed. On the Wonder & Magic the queen bed can be split into 2 twins.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
MichelleB
DIS Veteran

So if you have 3 unrelated people in the room, besides the bed and couch, is there a fold down bunk in the room?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
So if you have 3 unrelated people in the room, besides the bed and couch, is there a fold down bunk in the room?
There will be either a upper pull-down bunk (most likely) or a murphy bed that folds down from a wardrobe-like built-in in the corner of the room.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
There will be either a upper pull-down bunk (most likely) or a murphy bed that folds down from a wardrobe-like built-in in the corner of the room.

Do all the rooms have this? I thought only if they were designated as rooms for 4 or 5 people. If there's 3 of them, might they not be in a room that doesn't have either the pull-down bunk or Murphy bed?

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Do all the rooms have this? I thought only if they were designated as rooms for 4 or 5 people. If there's 3 of them, might they not be in a room that doesn't have either the pull-down bunk or Murphy bed?

Sayhello
You know, I don't know .

I guess it depends if the room is specified for 3 people or 4. In a 3 person room, I'm not sure if they expect 2 of those people to share the queen, or if there are 3 beds.

I would hope that a 3 person room would have at least 3 beds, not just space for 3 people.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
lorenni
DIS Veteran

My cat 8a is a three person room and has only a queen bed and a couch.

If you need three separate sleep surfaces, I think you need to confirm that your room sleeps four.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
cutielulu593
Earning My Ears

Yes, you do need to confirm that the room will sleep four even though you only have three people. They will automatically put you in a three person room if you don't specify. I ran into the same problem. Although, I booked mine through Disney Vacation Club and specifically asked if it was a four person room as I knew we would need the upper pulldown. However, after booking, I found out that it was only a three person room and had to change it. They made me pay the change fee of $95 because they didn't see it as their problem since we were only three people.

My grandmother and my aunt also are having the same problem. In the past they have shared a room on the Magic and simply split the bed. They both have bad backs and neither will be comfortable on the convertible sofa. It really stinks that Disney decided not to split the beds. Now they're going to have to get two inside rooms which will cost them $600 more per person then they would have paid for a room with a veranda. I guess DCL is getting what they want, which is more $$$.
cutielulu593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutielulu593 View Post
.... They will automatically put you in a three person room if you don't specify. ....
I can't speak for reservations made through DVC, but DCL does not "automatically" put a party of 3 into a a room that only sleeps 3 (queen + sofa bed). Unless doing a GTY or *GT, you may select your specific stateroom and a party of 3 may select any room available in the category. We had a pull-down bunk in our room but we were only a party of 3.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
cutielulu593
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
I can't speak for reservations made through DVC, but DCL does not "automatically" put a party of 3 into a a room that only sleeps 3 (queen + sofa bed). Unless doing a GTY or *GT, you may select your specific stateroom and a party of 3 may select any room available in the category. We had a pull-down bunk in our room but we were only a party of 3.
True, I guess I should say they "may" put you in a 3-person room if you don't specify. My point is that you cannot tell the specific sleeping capacity of a particular room based on what the DCL website tells you. It'll say: sleeps 3-4 or 4-5, etc. I chose my room # that I had originally booked by looking at the availability that was being shown on the DCL website (Although, I did book over the phone through DVC). The only way I found out that the room I had booked didn't have the pull down bunk was from this site after I had already booked. I don't understand why DCL doesn't just have the pull down bunks in every room, but I'm sure it has some thing to do with capacity.

The only information the DVC woman had who took my reservation was that it slept 3-4. I specifically asked her if it had the pull down bed and she said yes. I should have insisted that she get DCL on the line and asked them specifically, but hindsight... When I called back to change, the reason they gave me as to why I still had to pay the change fee even though I specifically asked if it was a 4 person room, was because we did indeed only have three people so they didn't see it as their problem. Basically, if I had reserved GTY, and ended up with a 3-person room upon check-in, I would have been out of luck! They did allow me to change it, I just had to pay. However, before I changed rooms, I used this site and found the room that I wanted and made sure it had more than enough room.

I will always do this in the future!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
One caveat to this: We are a family of 3, and when I went through the process of booking online for our cruise last year -- unbeknownst to me -- I was only offered rooms with the queen bed and sofa bed. I was a complete newbie then, so I just *hoped* the room would have an upper berth. Lo and behold, it did not. This time I figured out ahead of time which rooms in the category we were booking have the upper berth and specified one of those rooms.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

All I know is the queen bed on the Dream is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. Too bad it wouldn't fit in my carry-on.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
cutielulu593
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1153rsmith View Post
All I know is the queen bed on the Dream is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. Too bad it wouldn't fit in my carry-on.
Glad to hear it! I am definitely getting the big bed! No question about that!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: