Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Wilds
For the time being, FP will not be replaced by FP+. They augment and compliment, not replace. Though, as always, things change.
While this is correct, for now, I wouldn't count on it being the case in two or three months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeps
It's entirely possible that both systems will run (or two systems of some kind), but it's also designed (as far as we can tell, from everything that Disney *has* said/published so far) that from an individual guest experience it is one or the other. So, perhaps 2 different systems run, but it seems that as an individual you will use one system or the other but not both.
From everything I've read this appears to be correct! Both systems will be intact for the foreseeable future, but there is a good chance that The traditional FP system will be phased out over time. Once the FP+ system is introduced to everyone it everyone it will be a one or the other process. You won't be able to mix and match,

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM
A fair way of managing kiosk fastpasses and wristband Fastpass Plus is to use the lockout period. For example if you reserved two rides using FP+ there would be an up to 4 hour (2 times 2 hour) delay after you entered the park and then you could pull regular FP. (Your total lockout could be less for specific rides or on less busy days depending on the lockouts for the rides you chose; also it could be set up so you could pull regular FP after your last FP+ matures if that comes sooner.)
At this point ! While FP+ is still in the testing period, those lucky enough to be selected for it have been able to use both systems. Once they activate FP+ for all ( in the next few months?) all indications show it will be one or the other. Our trip is in mid June, so I'm hopping the system will be in use long enough where enough feedback will be available for us to know what system will be better for us.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeps View Post
It's entirely possible that both systems will run (or two systems of some kind), but it's also designed (as far as we can tell, from everything that Disney *has* said/published so far) that from an individual guest experience it is one or the other. So, perhaps 2 different systems run, but it seems that as an individual you will use one system or the other but not both.
Actually, we really don't know even that yet. What we know is that while both systems exist, the RFID tickets are not compatible with the traditional FP machines. We don't know if a same-day/in-park system will exist with the full roll out, much less whether the pre-reserve and same-day systems are mutually exclusive. All we know from the terms of service is that the technology of old FP and the technology of My Magic+ are incompatible so we have to choose which one we wish to use.

Colleen27 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
RyMacJ
DIS Veteran

Okay, here's my confusion. I know FP+ is not fully rolled out yet. I am staying at AoA in May. AoA has the new RFID tickets, right? So...even if FP+ is not rolled out, or even if it is and I opt out of it, will I still be able to pull regular FP with an RFID ticket?

Because you have to feed a ticket into the regular FP machine, right? And I won't have anything to "feed" into it?

Am I making any sense?

Offisite April 1987**Treehouse Villas June 1993**Offsite July 1998**POFQ (DisneyMoon) May 2007**AoA Nemo Suite May 2013**Caribbean Beach June 2015

Me DH DD6 DD5
RyMacJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn the Page

I have a sneaking suspicion that FP+ will end up being like ADR. Sometimes, for the most popular restaurants and times, if you don't make an ADR 5 months before your trip you won't get your preferred location or time. I have no idea what I want to eat for lunch tomorrow let alone 6 months from now. I don't like being locked in that much. I like to go with the flow more.

One concern I have with FP+, and I don't know exactly how it works so this may be a moot point. But, you sign up for fast passes before you go. So say you arrange for a fast pass for TSM or something for early in the morning. My concern is that people using FP+ will scoop up all the early fast passes at the more popular rides so when I, who didn't use FP+ in advance, show up to DHS at RD and immediately proceed to TSM to get a fast pass only to find out my allotted time to return is at 4:30 in the afternoon because everyone using FP+ snatched up all the earlier times. This means that I can't get another fast pass for any other rides until after 4:30 when the one for TSM expires.

It just seems like it would be really unfair to some people. Unless of course they only allow FP+ users a certain number of fast passes for each time frame. That might be ok.
not true. in the current system you dont have to wait until your fast pass expires to pull another one.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyMacJ View Post
Okay, here's my confusion. I know FP+ is not fully rolled out yet. I am staying at AoA in May. AoA has the new RFID tickets, right? So...even if FP+ is not rolled out, or even if it is and I opt out of it, will I still be able to pull regular FP with an RFID ticket?
The new "paper" RFID tickets still work with the old FP system.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #21
RyMacJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
The new "paper" RFID tickets still work with the old FP system.
Ahh. Thank you! I was thinking it would be the wristband so I would have anything to put in and get a regular FP back.

Offisite April 1987**Treehouse Villas June 1993**Offsite July 1998**POFQ (DisneyMoon) May 2007**AoA Nemo Suite May 2013**Caribbean Beach June 2015

Me DH DD6 DD5
RyMacJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #22
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Actually, we really don't know even that yet. What we know is that while both systems exist, the RFID tickets are not compatible with the traditional FP machines. We don't know if a same-day/in-park system will exist with the full roll out, much less whether the pre-reserve and same-day systems are mutually exclusive. All we know from the terms of service is that the technology of old FP and the technology of My Magic+ are incompatible so we have to choose which one we wish to use.
This is the "best-case scenario" that I'm hoping for: with FP+ you can schedule up to 3 FPs per day in advance, but you can also use it on the same day to get FPs the old-fashioned way (albeit via the new RFID system).
Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #23
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx

This is the "best-case scenario" that I'm hoping for: with FP+ you can schedule up to 3 FPs per day in advance, but you can also use it on the same day to get FPs the old-fashioned way (albeit via the new RFID system).
I would love that also, but I just don't see that happening. It negates a lot of what they are trying to accomplish with the new system. Fast passes would get gobbled up so quickly!

That said, if by some miracle, this was possible could you imagine the possibilities? Schedule your 3 FP+ tickets for the afternoon, park hopping, and use the traditional system with EMH!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
I would love that also, but I just don't see that happening. It negates a lot of what they are trying to accomplish with the new system. Fast passes would get gobbled up so quickly!

That said, if by some miracle, this was possible could you imagine the possibilities? Schedule your 3 FP+ tickets for the afternoon, park hopping, and use the traditional system with EMH!

I don't understand what you're arguing. What is it "negating"?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
My concern is that people using FP+ will scoop up all the early fast passes at the more popular rides so when I, who didn't use FP+ in advance, show up to DHS at RD and immediately proceed to TSM to get a fast pass only to find out my allotted time to return is at 4:30 in the afternoon because everyone using FP+ snatched up all the earlier times. This means that I can't get another fast pass for any other rides until after 4:30 when the one for TSM expires.
You will be able to pull another FP 2 hours after pulling the TSMM. So if you pulled TSMM at 9:05 you could get a new FP and 11:05, and then another FP at 1:05, etc.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post

I don't understand what you're arguing. What is it "negating"?
Sorry about that, never finished my thought. How dare work interfere with posting on the DiS!

Basically what I was trying to say is that if we were allowed to use both then fast passes would be used and gone much quicker. Once FP+ is fully implemented I don't see them offering the option to use both. At least after reading the info they put out, it doesn't look like they plan on offering that option. As it stands right now, FP+ is only in the test phase, so both are available.

I think the biggest problem with FP+ right now is we don't know what the final product will look like, I don't think Disney does either. Their are aspects of it that I like and their are aspects that concern us. Our vacation is for mid June and I just want to know what impact it will have on our vacation.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I disagree. There are various ways that they can have the system manage FPs. One obvious one is to not allow a guest to get more than one FP for a particular ride per day, regardless of whether it was prearranged or chosen at the park.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #28
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think that's necessarily true. We've already seen one of the ways overuse will be restricted, by the grouping of attractions into groups that guest must choose among, which forces the use of FP for some less-attractive or higher-capacity attractions. We've also seen a huge expansion of total FP capacity, both via the (rumored, but likely) change in FP to standby ratios and in the addition of many attractions to the FP network that never had it before. And there is further potential for limitation in the idea of not allowing overlapping return windows; with the longer return for FP+ (at least in testing) they probably wouldn't want to disallow it completely but could again make it group-based so that you can't have two E-ticket FPs for the same timeframe or couldn't pull same-day FPs in Epcot for the same return time as your pre-reserved FPs at Studios.

The idea of a three-per-day and that's all you get system really negates the entire intention of FastPass. Disney doesn't want guests spending the majority of their park time waiting in lines. You can't purchase merchandise or food while in line, and wait times are strongly related to guest satisfaction. Plus a system that suddenly dictates that you can no longer use FP to ride 3 headliners in a single day will alienate frequent guests who are likely to balk at paying more (annual price increases + the reduction of discounting) to have a lesser overall experience.

Colleen27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl View Post
You will be able to pull another FP 2 hours after pulling the TSMM. So if you pulled TSMM at 9:05 you could get a new FP and 11:05, and then another FP at 1:05, etc.

Ooooohhhhhh. I didn't know that. Has it always been that way? I could have sworn the last time I was there you could only pull on FP at a time. That was, however, over a decade ago so I may not be remembering correctly.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
Ooooohhhhhh. I didn't know that. Has it always been that way? I could have sworn the last time I was there you could only pull on FP at a time. That was, however, over a decade ago so I may not be remembering correctly.
It's been that way as far back as I can remember.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: