Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Rx774
Mouseketeer

Cruising in Mid - August: Will I Die?

Sorry for the pathetic attempt at humor, but that's my biggest fear. Obviously not the death part, just the fact that it will be terribly hot. August is a huge month for us. Its our Anniversary, but its also our first born's birthday. We spent our 10th Anniversary years ago in San Diego. And upon taking a walk around Torrey Pines we ended up with horrific sunburns. And get this... it wasn't even hot.

Fast forward to this Aug, we will be on a the Dream... much close the the equator... basically i'm asking how bad does it get for those who've cruised during this time of year.

Thank You in advance.
D (39) M (36) Annika - Wish Kid #2 (12) Christian - Wish Kid #1 (7) Dylan (3)
Christian's Make A Wish Trip Report

Annika's Make A Wish Trip Report
Rx774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Aura of Foreboding
Mouseketeer

We sailed in early August this year, and we didn't find it too bad. When the ship is sailing, you have lovely sea breezes and the temperature is just beautiful.
The only day we really felt the heat was when we were in Nassau, and even then it was manageable, we just tried to stay out of the direct sun.

We are from Saskatchewan, Canada and although it gets hot in the summer here, it never gets humid, so we are particularly sensitive to that kind of heat (and were roasting at WDW after the cruise).

I think you will be fine!
DCL - 2012 (4-night Bahamian on the Dream)

In the works:
August 12-15th - WDW *~* August 16th, 2014 - Disney Fantasy *~* July 2015 - DL

Aura of Foreboding is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

It will be hot but the sea breezes are so nice, so a 90 degree day isn't to bad. We've been to Florida mid-August many times and often it's warmer at home in KY then in Florida.

I take extra precautions for sunburn because the sun is more direct then it is at home and you have the extra reflections from the water. I wear a bucket hat to protect my ears, neck and nose, a long sleeve swimsuit cover-up, and lots of sunscreen reapplied frequently.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

We cruised twice on the Dream last year - in June and in August. By far, August (15-19) was the hottest. As others mentioned, it's not unbearable - HOWEVER - as others from my previous cruise thread reported after returning - protect those feet from the hot decks. This is especially true for the little ones when they are standing in line for the Aquaduck. I understand the stairs and the deck can get hot enough to cause blisters. My DS wore water shoes and he was allowed to, however one time he did forget and he ended up with a very small blister - yep, that hot! In June we didn't have this issue but it wasn't nearly as hot and if anything it was actually pretty cool the entire cruise.

Have a great time,
Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013. Next: 10/2015 WDW/MNSSHP/F&W
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
gfolchick
DIS Veteran

We have sailed twice in August, once Western and once 5 day Bahamas. Both were manageable. The deck waiting for AquaDuck was really hot. On the islands it was humid but not unbearable.
gfolchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
ratt1345
Always wishing I was Disney cruisin'!!!

As you found out, it doesn't have to be hot for you to get sunburned. That's a mistake people make, associating heat with a sunburn. I am a native Floridian. I have heard about so many "snowbirds" and northerners coming here and getting a horrible sunburn in January or February. It may take longer to get sunburned in the winter, but you still can get it!!!

Use sunscreen and apply often if needed. Drink water to stay hydrated and you will be fine.
ratt1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

We sailed last 3rd week in August last year. Temps in the high 80s, but humidity was up there. I think it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - 100 times better than what it would be on Florida though.

But you need that sun protection - you can easily get sun burned.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
sambycat
DIS Veteran

it’s humid i think more than burning sun hot but the boats are much nicer i think than florida - there is a breeze, you can duck indoors easily (or never go out!). CC is lovely - lots of shade, heck you can ride a covered tram 90% of he way to any destination on the island. there are the typical summer showers and fleeting cloud cover as well. like others say, wear sunscreen. it will be fine.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx774 View Post
Sorry for the pathetic attempt at humor, but that's my biggest fear. Obviously not the death part, just the fact that it will be terribly hot. August is a huge month for us. Its our Anniversary, but its also our first born's birthday. We spent our 10th Anniversary years ago in San Diego. And upon taking a walk around Torrey Pines we ended up with horrific sunburns. And get this... it wasn't even hot.

Fast forward to this Aug, we will be on a the Dream... much close the the equator... basically i'm asking how bad does it get for those who've cruised during this time of year.

Thank You in advance.
I feel compelled to point out that heat has nothing what-so-ever to do with getting sunburned. Sunburn happens because of the sun. This is why people sometimes get their faces sunburned while skiing. Cold, with coats, hats, gloves, etc. Yet they get sunburned because they don't wear sunscreen. The sun here in Florida is NO JOKE, and further towards the equator, even more so. Wear sunscreen at all times!
n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
colemame
Earning My Ears

I live in Southern FL and August is usually HOT! Pack your sunscreen apply oftenand stay hydrated........ drink your water. The first day or so you might struggle but you'll get used to it. It is usually the humidity that is the killer! Have a great trip!
colemame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

It's not the heat, it's the hurricanes....
NurseDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

Golly I hope not

Dying would put a damper on my daughter's 21st birthday cruise. We live in the south, so we're used to the heat. Just pack appropriately and find the shade where you can.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Rx774
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for your replies, i actually forgot that i even started this thread.

I will take many precautions, just based upon the advice you guys gave me. The heat doesn't bother me at all, i actually prefer extreme heat, but at the same time, i like to be prepared. I have flat feet, and i prefer to wear the water shoes, so hopefully they'll allow me and the kids to wear those when doing the Aquaduck.
D (39) M (36) Annika - Wish Kid #2 (12) Christian - Wish Kid #1 (7) Dylan (3)
Christian's Make A Wish Trip Report

Annika's Make A Wish Trip Report
Rx774 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: