Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #91
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Not getting it. Disney doesn't need to add roller coasters to add things that are "more exciting". However "More exciting" doesn't necessarily equal "roller coaster" or "extreme thrill ride". They should add and update, but they don't need to focus on roller coasters to do that.

Again, there are plenty of places to go to get a roller coaster/ extreme ride fix. There are not many Disney Worlds/Lands. Why this need to make it into the park you want it to be? Why can't it be what others want it to be?
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #92
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

My parents enjoy going to Disney just as much as my DD10 and DS17. DW and I just got back from a trip we took down there just the two of us.

While my DS17 enjoys US/IoA, my DD10 and the 'rents don't.

JMHO but that says a lot......
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #93
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
A few more thrills rides would be nice, yes.
OP, I'm with you all the way. They have like forty square miles of property. No one is saying replace what they already have with big thrill rides. Just add some more big rides to appeal to people that can handle bigger thrills than EE, RNR, and SM. My whole family loves Disney we go every year, but adding some big thrill rides would be a plus.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #94
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

Haven't read this whole thread (supposed to working! LOL) but just wanted to throw in that you can't generalize about what teens/tweens want. Maybe yours, but not all of them...

My daughter is 19 and we've gone to WDW about 16 times since she was 7 years old. We've been to Universal once and both of us agreed it simply wasn't for us. WDW is her place of choice, her happy place and she wouldn't change a thing. She still enjoys meeting characters, getting autographs, dressing up for MNSSHP (every year!), riding the Carousel...That's where she chose to go for her Sweet 16 birthday and she informed me that is where she wants to spend her 21st birthday. Not drinking at a bar with her friends, but spending it at Disney World, preferably having dinner with Pooh.

So no, not all teens and tweens want more than what the World has to offer...

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!
May 2013 - POP - Monstrous Summer - Whole 24 Hours! October 2013 - POP - MNSSHP
May 2014 – POP – Rock Your Disney Side – Whole 24 Hours!

Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Just_Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #95
gwmort
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
That's not the reason. Won't go into it though.
My bus driver said it last trip so it must be true
Old 02-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #96
jenjordan
Earning My Ears

My 14 year old DD isn't that into thrill rides (we will be lucky to get her on EE or ToT) but she's mostly looking forward to the whole experience. Her dream is to become an animator for Disney, so she's going to absorb as much of it as she can.

I think it's all about managing expectations.

DH Me DD1 (14) DD2 (11)
jenjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #97
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
My bus driver said it last trip so it must be true
Your bus driver was wrong. Maybe that's what they want people to believe, but it's not the truth.
Trek Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #98
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I have been going to Disney since I was 7. I have been as a child, a tween, a teen, a college kid on spring break (x2), a honeymooner, and the last 3 (and upcoming 4th) trips as a mom/wife with my DH and kids. I think it's safe to say I've gone in all stages of life thus far and it has yet to NOT appeal to me. I think Disney is just fine.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #99
lydzma
Earning My Ears

I'm 20 and I've always been attracted to Disney! I've been to Busch Gardens, Six flags, and Universal but nothing can compare with the magic and atmosphere of WDW! My favorite ride of every theme park I've ever been to is and will always be Splash Mountain!
December 2008-Disney Dream and Wilderness Lodge
March 2010-offsite
June 2012-Disney Fantasy

lydzma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #100
pixie08
DIS Veteran

I grew up my whole life going to Disney. We also went to Universal and Busch Gardens etc, but I always loooved Disney. I loved thrill rides too, but WDW had a special feeling to me. I do see how not all teens will love it. Although I know many that do. I agree Disney does not want to create thrill parks, however they have added some big eticket rides that are thrill rides and that draws people in so i suspect they will continue to do this in the future.

To the OP: Maybe you can break WDW up with IOA, universal busch gardens, aquatica etc that way you get the best of both worlds?

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #101
#1DopeyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood View Post
I think the area where they really lack is souvenirs and clothing.
Oh how I WISH my kids and I agreed with this statement!! We all spent a LOT of money this last trip and already saving spending money for the next trip.
Aug./Sept. 2012 ~ All Star Sports *** February 2008 ~ All Star Sports *** February 2007 ~ Disneyland Hotel
September 2005 ~ Coronado Springs *** February 2005 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge
May 2004 ~ Pop Century *** Dec. 2003 ~ Yacht Club
Jan. 2003 ~ Coronado Springs *** June 2002 ~ Off Site
Jan. 2002 ~ Off Site *** Aug. 2001 ~ All Star Movies
Jan. 1998 ~ Off Site *** Jan. 1995 ~ Off Site
#1DopeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #102
Laketravis
FP+ is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way - which one's Pink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
They also sold off some of their parks.
This is why forums are so filled with misinformation. One poster claims Six Flags is losing money when the fact is that the most recent three years they've had record profits.

Then someone says they also sold off some of their parks. But that was in 2004.

Six Flags went thru a reorganization in 2010 and they've been profitable since with increasing attendance.

I'm not suggesting that Six Flags parks are anywhere near the caliber of WDW, but people need to get their facts straight.
Laketravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #103
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek Girl View Post
Your bus driver was wrong. Maybe that's what they want people to believe, but it's not the truth.
This is completely creating a side conversation,so this is the last I will say of this, but I agree with TDC Nala &Trek Girl. That is what they tell people, but not the whole truth.

Now all of us Disney fans are siding with the "family version" of the park. Yes this is true, but thrill rides do sell park tickets. Look at AK, they used to close at 4:00 most nights. Add a wild and crazy coaster and now attendance went up. The large pulls at HS yes is TSM, but also RNR and TOT. So thrill rides are also an important factor. I think the difference at Disney is balance between the thrill ride, the child's ride, the family ride and the show. This is how it comes together to be a full family experience.

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #104
momto2girls
DIS Veteran

I have always been a big Disney fan. DH and I loved coming here when we were dating (we lived in FL then). We got married here. We bought in to DVC. We've brought our children here yearly (or close to it) since our oldest was 2. I do agree that Disney shouldn't change it's formula. It obviously works.

That being said, I do see where it is less appealing for Tweens and teens. My older DD is 12. She isn't one to crave the super-thrill rides at Six Flags, etc. She is fine with Disney's level of exciting. She loves TOT, Rock and Roller Coaster, etc. Even so, there aren't many rides/activities at each park that interest her. We are at WDW right now and as I've looked around, I've realized that so many of the things we used to do to fill our days are now too young for my kids. I really think that WDW is suited much better for little ones. I've even been bored myself this trip. I think my family has outgrown Disney.

I guess I didn't anticipate this when we bought DVC. Fortunately, we can use the points for Hawaii. After that trip, I'm not sure what we will do about the DVC. I am looking forward to taking more exotic trips overseas rather than going to WDW, but it still is a bit sad. It feels like the end of an era.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #105
mikesdisneymom
DIS Veteran

I think Disney is perfect the way it is. I have a 15 year old that does not like the thrill rides, he will not go on Splash, Everest, TOT, RnR. I am fortunate to get him on some of the larger rides. We enjoy Disney for the atmosphere and thrills that we get from the rides.
POFQ for half and WL for half Aug - Sept 2007-DS (10), Me
POR, Sept 2008 DS (11),Dmom , Ddad , Me::cheer2
ASMo, sept 2009 DS(12), Dmom, Ddad, Me
mikesdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: