Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #76
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
Six Flags has had record profits in recent years.
They also sold off some of their parks.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #77
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Food for thought?

IMHO, the difference between Disney and ANY other theme park, is the completely immersive detailing in any attraction they build. Often amazing, and is what makes it so magical. (dont throw tomatoes, but WWOHP has the same depth imho).

I am going to steal a very thought provoking quote that was just posted on the rumour board from Hollygolitely93. I dont know how to link it, so its just a cut and paste

Quote:
Soon as these kids are 48" and can ride the coasters they want them...younger kids want big thrills faster than they did generations ago...they are exposed to Star Wars, Transformers, SuperHeroes earlier than the Sesame STreet generation was...so I feel it isn't even an age group they have to go after anymore it is a height group
I'm not even going to comment on this tremendous quote, it stands alone- you dont have to agree with it, but its great food for thought.

I remember taking my kids for the first time on BTMRR, their first ever coaster. The squeals of joy and LETS DO IT AGAIN, I wont forget, the youngest one just barely met the minimum height requirement. And its great because since I got older, cough cough, I can't handle intense, pee your pants attractions, like they have at universal. SO- its really nice that I can SHARE the great MODERATE thrill ride with my kids. I want to say that Disney realizes this, and this is the market niche for 'family' thrill rides. And what is wrong with adding a few more to some of the parks? Im not talking major loops and death defying drops. I am talking gorgeously themed, fun, imaginative rides that have a bit of speed and thrill. (Again, no tomatos, but some additional food for thought - WWOHP big thrill ride is a MODERATE attraction, not a hurl into the bushes type of ride. I wonder if Universal is trying to steal a little of Disney's successful formula of a 'family' thrill ride.)

I think Disney a while back spent a lot of money on mission space, which is an AMAZING ride, and it may have been directly aimed at the over the top thrill attraction that universal was claiming glory for. Its themed gorgeously, the concept is amazing, and yet it was a dud for many years. Its more popular with the introduction of the less intense mission, but even still, its easy to get a fp late in the day for this ride. I dont think Disney is planning to rush out and try and build a hulk style rollercoaster anytime soon.

Side note: I was forced to try the easy version of MS by my kids a couple of trips ago. I was nervous, because I knew it was based on spinning - and I dont even like teacups. I am SO GLAD I tried it though, its awe inspiring, and I was not sick at all. I don't know how much or if any spinning is involved in the LESS intense version, but if you have not tried MS, and can do teacups without hurling, go do it!

Bottom line is, its cheese that drives the mouse. So if it makes financial sense, then they will do it. And Teens, and Tweens are a big market, but a happy family unit is even bigger market.
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #78
gwmort
DIS Veteran

I think it goes back to why they scrapped Pleasure Island as a separate ticketed adult venue, it didn't fit their family focus.

I think for tweens the best draw of Disney is the chance to be more independent, when I was a tween we played out in the town/neighborhood until the streetlights came on. Now most kids in the US don't have that kind of independence for a whole host of reasons.

Try letting your teenagers loose on their own, to make their own choices to go to the pool, hit a water park, hang out in DisneyQuest, or just repeat ride a few of their favorites (or their favorite in each park), and then meet up with you later for dinner, and see how much they look forward to Disney trips.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #79
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

When I was a teen I LOVED Disney for one reason.... I GOT IT!

You either get it, or you don't. A tween whining about how there are not enough thrill rides = someone who doesn't get it. Meaning, how many roller coasters and thrill rides would it take for a fussy tween to suddenly love Disney? Think about that...because IMO Disney would continued to be compared to the average amusement park even with added rides.

I think Disney should continue to improve things, but the big point is if you don't get or enjoy the Disney experience they it is doubtful you would get it even with more thrilling rides. Amusement parks are a dime a dozen, there is only ONE Disney (I mean Disney as a whole).

This reminds me of a video I saw of a young adult saying how she likes Disneyland better because she can do all the 'rides,' meaning thrill rides, quicker than WDW so she can "get it all done in half a day". She even gave an example, stating that at Hollywood Studios only three rides were worth it so the whole park was stupid and boring.

See...she doesn't get it. She isn't going to get it. Painting a pretty picture for her isn't going to help. She just isn't that into Disney and that is okay. Not everyone needs to love Disney.

Someone like me, who gets it, will do both. I'll go to Universal or where ever and ride those roller coasters and etc. Then I'll go to Disney and splash around with Disneyfied Imagination.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #80
Sandy Fisher
DIS Veteran

What Riley and Jacqui said.
Sandy Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #81
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
I think instead of adding the Seven Dwarves Mine Train which is another low thrill coaster which WDW already has a lot of, they should have built a major thrill coaster at Epcot to appeal to thrill seekers. I'll admit that I like rides like Dragons, Hulk, Kumba, Montu and Sheikra more than any other coaster that Disney and would be happy with 1 of those types of coasters in WDW. One drawback is the height requirement though since it would likely be 54" and that those types of coasters are also more restrictive than anything at Disney even factoring in that all those coasters I mentioned have modified seating for people who aren't able to fit in the standard seats.
You miss the whole point..............Disney is built around families and Disney magic, stories and charaters The parks teel their stories in excellent style and theming.........They have qiute a few family style thrill rides........all part of the Disney Magic.

You can go anywhere........for steel frame thrill rides......if that is what your looking for go to 6 flags and univseral.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #82
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
Six Flags has had record profits in recent years.
Interesting statement as they had to sell off qiute a few parks just to keep the banks from taking over. I know for a fact BOA we leading the forclosure group.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #83
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I think it goes back to why they scrapped Pleasure Island as a separate ticketed adult venue, it didn't fit their family focus.
That's not the reason. Won't go into it though.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #84
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Disney shouldn't add anything ever again. No Marvel or Star Wars attractions, no Avatarland at AK...nothing except nice and gentle family rides. I think that would be very nice.

Let's just keep WDW the way it is for all time.

There...I get it too.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #85
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Disney shouldn't add anything ever again. No Marvel or Star Wars attractions, no Avatarland at AK...nothing except nice and gentle family rides. I think that would be very nice.

Let's just keep WDW the way it is for all time.

There...I get it too.
While I get the sarcasm, the facts are if a person does get it they would happily welcome new additions or at the very least be open to them. As I and others have said, should Disney continue to improve things? OF COURSE! Should they turn Disney into Six Flags????? NO!

There is a difference! Disney has a wide range of fun for ALL ages. But hey! Maybe we all want to see Grandma shooting down an ugly steal roller coaster at a billizion miles per hour! What fun! Or Hey! Lets take out all that family stuff so say the TWEENS can have five minutes of entertainment so they can whine how it still is not as good as say SIX FLAGS! Awesome sauce! It goes hand in hand with only wanting rides for kids. Disney is about all ages...families and couples. Lets not forget the romancing part of Disney. Woot woot! I like that it isn't the average amusement park. I like that it also is not JUST for kids.

Even my favorite ride was taken out, but you know I was sad to see it go but hey, it happens! Progress is progress, but Disney progress is the point. If I want to go to Six Flags I will. I do not want nor need Disney to be yet another average park.

I do think Avatarland is ridiculous though, though glowy trippy environments might be somewhat entertaining. I will give the idea that nod at least!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #86
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquie668 View Post
While I get the sarcasm, the facts are if a person does get it they would happily welcome new additions or at the very least be open to them. As I and others have said, should Disney continue to improve things? OF COURSE! Should they turn Disney into Six Flags????? NO!

There is a difference! Disney has a wide range of fun for ALL ages. But hey! Maybe we all want to see Grandma shooting down an ugly steal roller coaster at a billizion miles per hour! What fun! Or Hey! Lets take out all that family stuff so say the TWEENS can have five minutes of entertainment so they can whine how it still is not as good as say SIX FLAGS! Awesome sauce! It goes hand in hand with only wanting rides for kids. Disney is about all ages...families and couples. Lets not forget the romancing part of Disney. Woot woot! I like that it isn't the average amusement park. I like that it also is not JUST for kids.
I don't think adding another coaster to one or more parks is going to turn WDW into Six Flags. I can't imagine you honestly believe that. You know as well as I that if Disney can't theme it, they wont build it so you will never see any coasters that you'd see at SF at WDW...I guarantee it. Coasters at Disney fit in with the theme around them and any other type of coaster would stick out...I agree with you. BTW...I'm sure there are plenty of Grandmas out there that love coasters.

I also agree with you that Disney should keep improving. They could keep updating the current attractions w/o adding anything exciting...right?

Still getting it.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #87
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post

I also agree with you that Disney should keep improving. They could keep updating the current attractions w/o adding anything exciting...right?

Still getting it.
Not getting it. Disney doesn't need to add roller coasters to add things that are "more exciting". However "More exciting" doesn't necessarily equal "roller coaster" or "extreme thrill ride". They should add and update, but they don't need to focus on roller coasters to do that.

Again, there are plenty of places to go to get a roller coaster/ extreme ride fix. There are not many Disney Worlds/Lands. Why this need to make it into the park you want it to be? Why can't it be what others want it to be?
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #88
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

--Walt Disney

I think this philosophy can be extrapolated to apply to any one demographic. One of the Disney parks' main strengths is their ability to appeal to the whole family, from Grandma and Grandpa down to the youngest children, including everyone in between.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #89
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Not getting it. Disney doesn't need to add roller coasters to add things that are "more exciting". However "More exciting" doesn't necessarily equal "roller coaster" or "extreme thrill ride". They should add and update, but they don't need to focus on roller coasters to do that.

Again, there are plenty of places to go to get a roller coaster/ extreme ride fix. There are not many Disney Worlds/Lands. Why this need to make it into the park you want it to be? Why can't it be what others want it to be?
You are absolutely right...Disney should just forget about adding anything except family attractions...like I said previously.

And as many as times as I've been to WDW while living here in Orlando, you'd better believe I get it.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #90
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

I go to Disney because it is a magical place for ALL ages. I love Disney because of how they balance out thrills, chills, and just kid family fun. Hey, we all need a chance to be a kid. OF COURSE Grandma loves coasters, but my point was that if I want Six Flags I'll go to Six Flags.

But again, when the bored tweens use the words "trill rides" or "coasters" they are not talking about Disney themed, story coasters. Oh no. That isn't what the tweens who say things like, "Mom, this place is boring." or "It smells old here." or "Oh how exciting...tea cups." or "Wow, that ride wasn't as good as the HULK ride. Why aren't there more rides like that here?" or "I like Six Flags, it has rides." or "This park only has two rides worth doing. The rest of the junk is out dated and BORING." or "The Haunted Mansion is YAWN! I wasn't scared at all! BORED!"... Do you honestly think a coaster or two is going to energize these zombies?

I don't think so! They want the average amusement park full of giant coasters. They don't get Disney and like I said, that is okay. Not everyone has to be a closet Disney fanatic like myself...who squeals with delight at the site of Goofy (and yeah I know it is a guy in a costume). Hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

Yarrrrr I likes the walk of ye jib!

EDIT: Had to rearrange the quote here so maxismom didn't think I was commenting directly to them. Sorry haha.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 02-08-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: