Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
quinnc19
DIS Veteran

I have the outer rain jacket and all recommended layers. Still on the fence over whether to also bring down jacket. When it's 50 here in SC I often wear it INSIDE my office. I'm going in June and hate being cold.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

It was cold in late July some days. I really layered up when we were out on deck sea days while watching for whales and other wildlife. I always grabbed one of the fleece blankets kept on deck 4 to wrap around me also. The wind is chilly out on deck, especially when foggy.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #18
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

we went in middle of August and I am from Boston and there were cold days
layers are best plan
bceagle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

We went on an August cruise to Alaska last summer--LOVED it!! I was so worried about jackets and footwear, so I understand your concerns. I have a circulation disorder, so I am always cold and frequently have blue tinged fingertips...and that is at home, not in Alaska!

For jackets, I brought a North Face fleece that I could zip into a North Face waterproof rain jacket. This was a perfect combo for me. I wore this over long sleeves and it kept me quite warm. The rain jacket has a great hood with a bit of an "overhang" over my face--not one that just cinches tight around the edges of my face. Layering was key for me! I also had hand warmers stuffed into my jean pockets as well as my coat pockets and my gloves.

For shoes, I wore sneakers and waterproofed them with the waterproofing spray. It worked great! It was cold and drizzly on Tracey Arm day and my feet stayed toasty warm and dry.

However I did *not* stand outside all day on Tracey Arm day. No thank you! We had a lovely brunch in Palo on that morning and sat right by the window. Later we bundled up and went out front for a bit. Then we went down to our verandah room for a little while. After the ship turned around we went on the stern to the "secret deck" that was TOTALLY deserted and got great pictures from there too.

We also went on a private whale watching charter--just our family and one other. I sat up on the top of the boat the entire time wearing the same combination of layers I just posted. I was fine the whole time! Definitely bring those hand warmers! I brought a huge package of them from Amazon and stuffed them into every nook and cranny--my children were very grateful for them too!

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
lorimay
DIS Veteran

What did you guys wear for dinner?

Were there less Dresses worn?
Were people more dressed "down" instead of "up"?

I froze in the dining room last month on a Bahama's cruise.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #21
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post
We went on an August cruise to Alaska last summer--LOVED it!! I was so worried about jackets and footwear, so I understand your concerns. I have a circulation disorder, so I am always cold and frequently have blue tinged fingertips...and that is at home, not in Alaska!

For jackets, I brought a North Face fleece that I could zip into a North Face waterproof rain jacket. This was a perfect combo for me. I wore this over long sleeves and it kept me quite warm. The rain jacket has a great hood with a bit of an "overhang" over my face--not one that just cinches tight around the edges of my face. Layering was key for me! I also had hand warmers stuffed into my jean pockets as well as my coat pockets and my gloves.

For shoes, I wore sneakers and waterproofed them with the waterproofing spray. It worked great! It was cold and drizzly on Tracey Arm day and my feet stayed toasty warm and dry.

However I did *not* stand outside all day on Tracey Arm day. No thank you! We had a lovely brunch in Palo on that morning and sat right by the window. Later we bundled up and went out front for a bit. Then we went down to our verandah room for a little while. After the ship turned around we went on the stern to the "secret deck" that was TOTALLY deserted and got great pictures from there too.

We also went on a private whale watching charter--just our family and one other. I sat up on the top of the boat the entire time wearing the same combination of layers I just posted. I was fine the whole time! Definitely bring those hand warmers! I brought a huge package of them from Amazon and stuffed them into every nook and cranny--my children were very grateful for them too!
WOW! Palo sounds wonderful on that day....
Could you see well from the verandah? Enough to just stay there all day?

Hand warmers- great idea!!! Will do that.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
Politzania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
What did you guys wear for dinner?

Were there less Dresses worn?
Were people more dressed "down" instead of "up"?

I froze in the dining room last month on a Bahama's cruise.
For the formal night, I wore a long sleeved black velvet dress and probably was in the middle of the level of dressed up. Semi formal I wore black dress pants, a sparkly sweater & cardigan. Both nights my husband wore black dress pants, a white long sleeve button down and a Disney tie.

Pirate night I wore a Disneyland hoodie (with the characters in pirate dress) and jeans. Other nights I wore khakis or jeans and nice turtleneck or long sleeve shirts.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #23
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politzania View Post
For the formal night, I wore a long sleeved black velvet dress and probably was in the middle of the level of dressed up. Semi formal I wore black dress pants, a sparkly sweater & cardigan. Both nights my husband wore black dress pants, a white long sleeve button down and a Disney tie.

Pirate night I wore a Disneyland hoodie (with the characters in pirate dress) and jeans. Other nights I wore khakis or jeans and nice turtleneck or long sleeve shirts.
DH collects Mickey Mouse ties -- ebay is his enabler. We refer to his ties as being rodent infested. And while we're off the subject, I made a king-size quilt out of Mickey ties.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #24
Prose
DIS Veteran

Also know that there are many touristy shops at the ports and they sell TONS of fleece - mostly with Alaska embroidered on them.

Me , DH , DD (14)
MK 1973, Epcot 1991 with DH
First magical trip with DD June '07
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

And if you're there in September a lot of it is on sale because it's the end of the season.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: