Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
LimoFam5
DIS Veteran

Location: Los Alamitos (Rossmoor), but most of the time we are at Disneyland.

Transportation to and from port --- HELP

Looking at different transportation options to and from port for my sister.
She will be staying at Kidani before and after the cruise.
How easy is it to rent a car and drive to port? Where do u pick car up? Where do u drop it off? How far from port is rental location?
Does anyone know how much disney charges for transportation to and from port and do they charge for infants?
LimoFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Don't quote me on this, but I think transfers are about $70 per person. Not sure how they handle infants. There are several rental car companies that offer shuttles from the drop off location in Port Canaveral to the pier. Someone who has done it recently will have to let you know which ones they are. There is an Alamo/National car rental at WDW. They will pick you up at your WDW hotel and bring you to pick up your car. However, your sister should keep in mind that she will probably have to pay a one way service charge for not returing the car where she picked it up. I always just pay for the DCL transfers so that I don't have to worry about all that. If it's just her and an infant, it may be worth it.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimoFam5 View Post
Looking at different transportation options to and from port for my sister.
She will be staying at Kidani before and after the cruise.
How easy is it to rent a car and drive to port? Where do u pick car up? Where do u drop it off? How far from port is rental location?
Does anyone know how much disney charges for transportation to and from port and do they charge for infants?
PP is correct with regard to the cost of DCL transfers. One option you didn't mention is a town car, van or limo service that can actually be cheaper than the DCL transfers depending on how many people are traveling, since they charge per vehicle and not per person. The other advantage is that you can schedule your own pick-up times and don't have to go by DCL's schedule. That's primarily an issue with going to the port as their resort pick ups tend to be scheduled in early afternoon.

Many posters here swear by renting a car and it appears to be the most cost-effective option if you are willing to go through the various shuttling processes required to pick up and drop off the car at either end.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

There is no charge for DCL transfers for children under 3 years old. $35 pp each way or $70 pp round trip.

I am not sure where the car rental places are on property but you can find the locations at www.mousesavers.com

We usually pick up our car at MCO and keep it at WDW and then drive to the port (about an hour or so) and drop it off at the rental office by the port.

The car rental agencies in the port area (2-5 miles away) are Avis, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty/Dollar, National and Enterprise.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Regarding car rental:

It is possible to pick-up a car rental at the Car Care Center at WDW. I think they have National and Alamo on-site, maybe Enterprise. A shuttle will pick you up at your resort and take you to the Car Care Center where you finalize the paperwork. All 3 agencies I've mentioned also have locations near the port with free shuttles, probably only a 5-10 minute ride.

Car rental will require a little more effort than DCL Transfers for a private car service, but is likely to cost less. You (your sister) will need to weigh cost vs. convenience in determining what will work best for her family.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

We like getting a limo company with a sedan. We are 4 people so for the same $140 I have a private car with just our luggage going straight from our hotel right to the pier.

If I'm going to Disney after the cruise, I prefer to rent a car back to my resort.
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: