Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
calablovedisney
Mouseketeer

July 3/4th fireworks...best way to ensure seeing them?

We are planning to go back to the world in late June/Early July. I really want to see 4th of July fireworks and plan to try and see them on the 3rd)think we are staying until the 5th).
I have read various reports on how to handle going to the park on this day and make sure we see the fireworks. One such report was to go in early and stay the entire day until fireworks. WE really like to break midday, but I don't want to miss the fireworks either. any suggestions on how to do this and stay sane with the heat and length of day, etc...
There are also some late EMH at MK on the 3rd and would love to take advantage, but now way if we spend the entire day there.
looking for advice. thanks.
calablovedisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I would suggest going to MK on the 3rd, as they do a "rehearsal" of the fireworks for the 4th. Then on the 4th go to DHS as that is the only night they do fireworks.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

The one time we were around on the 4th of July, we watched the fireworks from The Contemporary. We didn't step foot into a park.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
calablovedisney
Mouseketeer

I thought about watching from the Poly? Not sure it would have the same effect.
We are going to try for the 3rd. Do you have to stay the entire day to see them? Will the park actually close due to capacity? I have heard this happens on the 4th sometimes. Or can we plan to go into the park after dinner?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by calablovedisney View Post
We are going to try for the 3rd. Do you have to stay the entire day to see them? Will the park actually close due to capacity? I have heard this happens on the 4th sometimes. Or can we plan to go into the park after dinner?
It is a bit chancy. If you have an ADR in the park for that night though they won't keep you out until the park is at the last phase of closing. So having an ADR would buy you a little extra security.

Or maybe make an ADR for a area resort? The Kona Cafe at the Poly is very tasty. And then you can watch the fireworks from the beach.

Honestly? The one time I've been to WDW over the 4th, we watched the fireworks from MK on the third, and once we were in the park we stayed. I didn't want to take the risk of not getting back in. Not sure if we reached capacity on that day, but by the time the fireworks started the park seemed packed.

I would also suggest going to Epcot on the 4th. Epcot is so large you don't notice the crowds so much. Plus they seem to add some extra bang to Illuminations, and the extra part on the end is wonderful.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
preemiemama
Mouseketeer

We went a few years ago the week of the 4th. We found that it got more crowded the closer we got to the 4th, and MK was almost closed when we arrived back for our 4:30 ADR at Crystal Palace. We actually left the park after dinner and went to HS. We had no trouble getting in, and found some decent seats on a wall around the lake near the hat about 45 mins-1 hour before the fireworks. It was much less crowded, and the fireworks were pretty good!

I agree with Cheshire Figment that the "rehearsal" on the 3rd is the way to go for MK. We actually had a late (8 or 8:30?) ADR at Tony's and sat in the sunroom- had a decent view of them from there. It is a little obstructed unless you venture outside to Main St., but it was not a bad way to experience them.

IMHO, I'd rather deal with the tour groups than deal with MK that crowded again. I'm not sure the parks were completely without them, anyway, at that time.
preemiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In my opinion the effect (the big picture) is far better watching from the Poly. The music is loud (it's piped through the EWP barges), the atmosphere is festive and the view is the best.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
calablovedisney
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. I am going to try to make ADRs at the MK for dinner. That way we should be able to get in. I think they take credit cards no anyway so I can't imagine they would not let you in and then charge for a no show. Hopefully it won't close to capacity anyway.

Plan B can always be the Poly.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
DopeysMom
Mouseketeer

I was there 2 years ago and we had ADRs at O'Hana on the 3rd and had a great view. We spent the 4th at HS, but heard MK was full by 1pm.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I am going to try to make ADRs at the MK for dinner. That way we should be able to get in. I think they take credit cards no anyway so I can't imagine they would not let you in and then charge for a no show. Hopefully it won't close to capacity anyway.
Unfortunately they would charge you for a no-show. They won't know if you are in the park and just decided not to go, or if you are stuck outside and can't get in. Though maybe Magicband will fix that....

But as of now yes, you would be charged as a no-show. Unless you book The Plaza, which doesn't take your credit card number. And is a very tasty place to eat, imho.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

MK "Independence Day" Fireworks Crowd on Main St. - July 3, 2009

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: