Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
JoJostar
Earning My Ears

Will I be disappointed with POR?

Leaving next week for POR. We have only stayed deluxe before. I am second guessing myself like crazy ( probably belong on the resort changers board). I have officially driven my DH so crazy that he will leave the room if I try to ask him a trip question. So my question is this, having only stayed at deluxes and DVC resorts, will POR be a let down? Should I pay an extra $300 for AkL or an extra $800 for WL? Help!

Off-site July 1984, Off-site April 1987, Off-site July 1998, WL-May 2008, BCV-Feb 2009, BLT-May 2010, AKV-Jan 2011, GF-Jan 2011, OKW-Oct 2011, BLT-Feb 2012, BWV Feb 2012
JoJostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJostar View Post
So my question is this, having only stayed at deluxes and DVC resorts, will POR be a let down?
I can't think of one possible reason why you would be let down. It's a beautiful, tranquil resort. Make sure you make some time one night to check out Yehaa Bob.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
GATORinaZ28
DIS Dad#764

We have stayed in a Deluxe (only the Contemporary, but numerous times), Mods, and a Value. We stayed at Riverside for the first time in Nov 11. We loved it and will most likely be back there again in 2013. The peace and quiet is so nice. The land it sits on is beautiful. Only way we would not stay there again is if we decide to try Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first time.

I hope you will enjoy it.

71-84 - Contemporary Resort with Grandparents || 01/94 - Off Site @ Disneyland || 06/07 - Contemporary Resort || 02/08 - Caribbean Beach Resort || 05/10 - All-Star Sports / Coronado Springs Resort || 12/10 - Offsite @ DisneyWorld || 11/11 - Port Orleans Riverside || 11/13 - Port Orleans French Quarter || 5/14 Rock Your Disney Side Party / Pop Century

Next trip: 12/14 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
GATORinaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJostar
Leaving next week for POR. We have only stayed deluxe before. I am second guessing myself like crazy ( probably belong on the resort changers board). I have officially driven my DH so crazy that he will leave the room if I try to ask him a trip question. So my question is this, having only stayed at deluxes and DVC resorts, will POR be a let down? Should I pay an extra $300 for AkL or an extra $800 for WL? Help!
We always stay deluxe also, at Beach Club. However, last summer we were at WDW for a basketball nationals and I couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a non-vacation. We stayed mostly at Bonnet Creek but also did a couple nights at Port Orleans Riverside. It is a beautiful resort and we loved the theming in the rooms and outside on resort grounds. The only thing I would really miss staying here is the ability to walk to two parks and the Boardwalk. Other than that we Found the resort to be very nice.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We stayed at Poly on our first trip and POR twice since then. Trying CSR on our next trip. Now that we've seen the difference between deluxe and mod, it's hard for us to justify the extra cost for deluxe when mods have everything we want.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
mgdisney
Mouseketeer

We have stayed all levels of resorts (value, mod and deluxe) and so far POR is are fav resort. Like the others have stated POR is a beautiful resort, we enjoy the boat ride to DTD, which I think for a mod resort is an extra in itself. You won't be disappointed, relax and enjoy your trip!!
2012 May WDW - Caribbean Beach Resort/Beach Club
2012 Aug Disneyland - offsite
2013 May WDW - Port Orleans Riverside/Beach Club
mgdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
shoney
DIS Veteran

We stayed at POR last Feb over President's day. It was our first onsite trip, so I have nothing "Disney" to compare it to.

Honestly, the resort itself is very nice. Bob in the lounge was fun. Boatwrights was delicious! The food court was a food court. Had stuff for the kids. Food was ok. Very crowded in the am. The kids liked the pool and slide (they were 10 and 12), but the pool activities were geared for much younger kids, so they didn't participate.

We were disappointed with the room. I thought it would have been nicer based on what I read about it. It was newly renovated, but very cheaply done. The towels and sheets were very poor quality. We weren't in the room much, so it didn't impact our vacation. I was just a bit surprised that it wasn't on par with a Hampton Inn type room.

At time, it was $2k more to stay at a deluxe. I couldn't justify that price difference.

I would love to stay at AKL! It looks amazing!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
sue1013
Haven't had a good Yodel in years
I know I'm the odd one
We need to be snow birds!

POR is a very nice resort, very pretty. It's only DH and I smaller room size doesn't matter to us. You won't have a balcony which I prefer but not a big deal. The only thing that keeps me from staying there is the hot tub situation. There is only one at the main pool that is always filled with kids jumping, diving treating it like a pool. Same thing seems to happen at main pools at deluxe resorts but the hot tubs at the quiet pools are usually not like that. If the hot tub doesn't matter to you then I think you will enjoy POR.
sue1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

We have stayed all levels, many times deluxe and we love POR. It is a really beautiful resort with an awesome food court and ts restaurant, and the boat to dtd is neat. That being said, how long is your trip? $300 doesn't sound like a lot to upgrade to AKL.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
mommy2mb
Mouseketeer

We stayed POR last March and loved it! The rooms were very nice, and the grounds were beautiful!

mommy2mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1013 View Post
POR is a very nice resort, very pretty. It's only DH and I smaller room size doesn't matter to us. You won't have a balcony which I prefer but not a big deal. The only thing that keeps me from staying there is the hot tub situation. There is only one at the main pool that is always filled with kids jumping, diving treating it like a pool. Same thing seems to happen at main pools at deluxe resorts but the hot tubs at the quiet pools are usually not like that. If the hot tub doesn't matter to you then I think you will enjoy POR.
I agree about the hot tub.

My kids came over and said they were going to the hot tub. I said "no that is for adults". My older son said "mom...go look at it" It was filled with little kids...gross! They went in though
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Personally, I think you will enjoy it....its not a bad time.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Differing opinion here. I've stayed at values, mods, deluxe and DVC. I like the mods least because I don't think the product justifies the expense. If I wasn't doing DVC or deluxe, I'd stay value because I think that the value for dollar is better. The rooms at the mods are basically motel rooms. The extra money buys you landscaping and a nicer lobby. Not worth it. Go value or stay at AKL.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea View Post
The extra money buys you landscaping and a nicer lobby.
Plus:
Bigger rooms
Queen beds instead of doubles (except CBR)
Double sinks
Multiple covered bus stops
Pool slides
Hot tubs
Table service restaurant
Boat rental
Bike rental
Fishing

But if you don't spend any time enjoying the resort and only use the room for sleeping and showering, I completely agree to save $$ and stay value.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I have stayed at deluxe only one, and I went down to POR twice that week and cried because I wasn't there.

I love POR.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: