Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
jaideo
Earning My Ears

teenage son in Poole

Hi,
my teenage son (13), will be on his Easter holidays in Pool. He will stay at a British host family and visit a language school each morning. Do you have any advise for him, what do do in the afternoon in Poole? It will be his first trip without parents and also the first one to Dorset.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Hi..my parents don't live too far from Poole..
to be honest there isn't an awful lot to do in Poole town itself but a lot of the younger generation tend to go to Towerpark which is just on the outskirts of the town itself.

http://www.towerparkentertainment.co.uk/

There is also a lovely park in Poole with tennis courts and also a swimming pool near by. There is a good museum in Poole Quay which he could pass an hour or so in.

I am sure his host family will have lots of ideas for your son. Obviously the county of Dorset, which Poole is in, has lots to do but it is a big county! Next door to Poole is Bournemouth, but doesn't really have anymore to offer than Poole.

It is a nice place to visit and I am sure he will find things to do.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
jaideo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendisney View Post
Hi..my parents don't live too far from Poole..
to be honest there isn't an awful lot to do in Poole town itself but a lot of the younger generation tend to go to Towerpark which is just on the outskirts of the town itself.

http://www.towerparkentertainment.co.uk/

There is also a lovely park in Poole with tennis courts and also a swimming pool near by. There is a good museum in Poole Quay which he could pass an hour or so in.

I am sure his host family will have lots of ideas for your son. Obviously the county of Dorset, which Poole is in, has lots to do but it is a big county! Next door to Poole is Bournemouth, but doesn't really have anymore to offer than Poole.

It is a nice place to visit and I am sure he will find things to do.
Thanks a lot. I guess he would love to visit towerpark.
I'm not to sure about the host family because the way the organisation told us sounds more like bed & breakfast in a family. He will get some bustickets for free from the travelorganisation to be a little bit flexible there.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideo View Post
I'm not to sure about the host family because the way the organisation told us sounds more like bed & breakfast in a family.
I don't take in students but my parents used to when I was a child and with the younger ones although their lessons were mornings only they had supervised activities/outings in the afternoons (and some evenings) with the language school before returning back to the host family home for a cooked meal. At weekends it was the host family's responsibility to look after the student, preferably by taking them out and about and showing them the area. So unless things have changed over the years I wouldn't think your son would have a lot of free time.

As to where to go - Vanda's right, Tower Park would be the best place for him - it's got bowling, cinemas, restaurants, and a fun pool. I'm sure his host family will show him all the local sights.

Hope he has a wonderful experience.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: