Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #31
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

I've done two different types of split-stays. The first was just after DVC did a point reallocation. We only have 100 points and planned on staying in 1BR's but the reallocation changed that. In 2009, we went to AKV and stayed our first night in a value studio because our flight wasn't scheduled to arrive until 8pm anyway. I never unpacked our things and had bell services hold our DME luggage. The next morning, we checked in to a value 1BR and dropped off our other luggage at bell services before we headed out to the park. When we came back, our 1BR was ready and we had bell services bring up all of our bags. It was so easy and it saved us some points. In 2010, we did the same thing. First two nights, we stayed in a savanna-view studio (and got a standard view studio for my parents) and then we moved into a standard 2BR for the 6 of us. The move was simple!

In 2011, DSiL and I went together for her first trip ever. We stayed in a LV studio at BLT for the first two nights. On checkout day, we dropped off our luggage and headed to Epcot. Mid-morning, we walked to the BWV and checked in to our standard 1BR where we stayed for 3 nights. That was a perfect trip! We got to walk to 3 out of 4 parks, enjoyed F&W festival, visited TOTWL...all for 106 points! It was the first time I'd done a split-stay between two resorts and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I simply packed for the first two days in my carryon and the second stay went into my checked bag...no unpacking required.

So far, I've always added a DP to our studio stays so we never had any food to pack/repack. The next time we go to WDW, our oldest will be 10 so I don't think we will be doing any more DP's.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
WDWNext
Mouseketeer

Usually my vacation consists of 2 totally different phases....
1. Touring phase - up early and get in late.
2. Relax mode - stay at the hotel entire day, maybe just walk around a bit.

For this combination the split stays will work wonders.... when I am in phase 1 (usually at the start of the vacation) we are unable to enjoy the resort at all. Ideally on the last day of phase 1 you should move over to the better resort. Who knows.... if you initially planned to stay at a mod, maybe with this configuration you could swing the deluxe too. Packing may or may not be a hassle depending on individual experiences. Luckily we do fine with it, the key is to let one person handle it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #33
floridagirl61
Mouseketeer

We are doing a spilt stay on our upcoming trip at the Beach Club. We will arrive late at night and take ME directly to POP. In the morning we will take a taxi to the Beach Club Villas where we will stay for 4 nights and then we will switch to the Beach Club CL for the next 4 nights. By doing this I am saving $1000 since I need 2 rooms at the Beach Club. On our "switch" day,
the only plans are to hang out at the pool, and we are only switching from one side of the resort to the other, so it's pretty easy. I have wanted to try out a villa and this seemed like a great opportunity to do so. My DH wanted to spend another Sunday at ESPN watching football and the flights were cheaper on Monday, soooo, we have another split, DH will be at ESPN on our final day and I will be enjoying SAB and the lounge before we once again check into POP for the night. We will leave first thing in the morning.

Sounds like alot of work, but it's fine with me

TO MANY DAY TRIPS TO COUNT, SENIOR NIGHT '79, WL '96, CS '00, ASMU '07, ASMU '08, POP '09, POP '10, BW CL '10, ASMU '11, BC VILLAS '13, BC CL '13, AOA '13, BC CL '14

Our Best Disney Vacation Yethttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3178111

Fifield Family Food Reviews and Pictures
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3175535
floridagirl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #34
Dis703
DIS Veteran

I responded earlier about why we had a split stay with a mod and deluxe that we changed to only deluxe.

Well now I'm considering upgrading in our deluxe for just part of the trip. Mainly because I'd love to experience staying club level, but it's a huge splurge and I can't justify doing it the whole trip. So we could maybe get a taste of the good life, lol for just a couple days.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #35
TBLaube
Who doesn't find Mr. *****lepants yummy...lederhosen...need I say more?

Sometimes we do split stays and sometimes we don't. The first split stay was on a cash reservation for POFQ and then a few days at AKL. the reason was due to the cost of the savannah view room. Then I bought into DVC at BLT, but due to being in the military, could never book a trip that far in advance. The alternative was to split stay due to availability and/or to try different resorts. Last May I did my first solo trip and couldn't decide between POR and POFQ so split the eight night trip. Next month, my boyfriend and I are going on our first WDW trip togther and I can't wait. We are doing four nights at AKV Kidani and then moving to SSR for three nights due to availability.

We come from San Diego so our trips are a minimum of seven nights always, but usually more. I wouldn't want to split on a shorter trip, but never an issue for me.

It is much easier doing a split trip without small kids in my experience. Much easier to pack up and move!

I love staying in different areas of WDW. We LOVE AKL/AKV for the convenience of location to AK and enjoy relaxing at the resort. We also love staying near DTD for the area. A split stay allows us to maximize the areas nearby and saves on bus time.

I am itching to stay at my home resort, BLT, and the Boardwalk area resorts someday!
TBLaube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #36
StephMS
Earning My Ears

We are doing a split stay this year. It's just me and DH and I decided to spend 3 nights at his fave (YC) and 3 nights at my fave (POLY). Since it's just the 2 of us this time, I won't have as much to move, so I thought this would be the time to try it.

We are early risers and do the parks in the mornings, returning to the hotel for r&r in the afternoon. We are at the point in our lives where enjoying the resort and down time is as much fun as the parks (especially w/out kids in tow!).

Almost every evening I walk around the resort and may go back into a park for fireworks. DH will usually only accompany me once or twice. I thought it would be nice to have 2 different areas to explore instead of just one for 6 nights.
StephMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #37
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
We're doing a split stay in Aug. I got a pin # with a room discount, so we're staying at Sports for 4 nights, then POR for 4 nights, mainly to save money. On our change resorts day, we'll just take our luggage by taxi with us, check in and enjoy the resort for the rest of the day. The POR stay will be our more relaxing part of the trip. We did a split stay before and it was really easy. Stayed at POFQ, then over to Wilderness Lodge. Didn't want to leave the lodge!!! We thought it's a fun way to experience different resorts.
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #38
QTPie7375
Mouseketeer

Wilderness Lodge/Saratoga

We are DVC. And couldn't get a whole week at wilderness lodge so we booked 5 nights there and 3 nights at our home resort SS. This is the first time we are doing that. I think I saw someone post that Disney will transfer luggage...is this true? I was wondering about that...
2004 Honeymoon at WDW
2006 Grand Floridian/Disney Cruise and we became DVC members!!!
2007 Saratoga Springs
2009 Saratoga Springs
Sept 2013 Wilderness Lodge/Saratoga Springs with our three little ones! (First time for two of them)
QTPie7375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #39
TBLaube

Disney will transfer. Just drop luggage off in the morning at bell services and let them know. They will transfer in the late afternoon/ early evening so plan on taking what you need out of the luggage. We were also required to be in the room before they would deliver. We do many split stays and it is quite simple and convenient.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #40
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
We are doing it for the first time this trip, although I've always wanted to. We usually stay at the BC and that is my happy place. But I have been wanting to stay at Poly too. So we are doing 5 nights at BC then 4 nights at Poly. I'm looking forward to it!
We are doing the BC/Poly split for the first time this year!! We LOVE BC and can't imagine not staying there, BUT I have always wanted to try other resorts. This way we get the best of both worlds
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 11/14 - Split Stay???
Me DH DD22 DD16 Maud Marie

ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #41
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

I want to be in Florida as long as possible and be able to stay at the Poly. The five of us are staying off property at Reunion for 6 nights and then our favorite Poly for 5 nights with a 30 percent discount. .
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 16 DS 13 DD 11 Sebastian 5
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #42
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
Why do people do split stays?

I never heard of such a thing until I started reading here. I notice it's something many people do. It just seems like such a PITA to me. I wouldn't want to pack up all my stuff and move in the middle of vacation.

Is it just to experience different resorts? Maybe want to spend some time in a deluxe but not pay for the entire vacation there? Those are the only two scenarios I could come up with and neither would be enough inspiration to make me go through the hassle.

Just wondering...
I agree with you I cannot see ever wanting to do a split stay. PITA for sure. I want to unpack once when I get there and pack up once when I leave.

I have stayed 11 nights once and didn't change resorts during that stay.

I have actually seen people change resorts 3 times on a 10 day trip. Talk about PITA ridiculousness.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #43
Tink415
DIS Veteran

I like split stays if its a long vacation. Get to experience more resorts that way. If we're going to do a split stay we travel light and don't unpack except for toiletries and hanging up some clothes, so packing up is quick and easy. I buy tickets separate from room so problem with tickets.

Last long vacation we stayed 3 nights CSR, 3 nights Poly Club, 3 nights AKL 1 BR villa. We spent time at each resort and it was just great.

Updated to say: we've also stayed for long vacations in 1 spot, really settled in the room, have had christmas trees, decorations, presents, food. To me those trips are fun too, but oh, the packing up!

We've been to WDW many times and don't have to be at the parks day and night any longer, a few hours is good!

And I like value for my money! I wouldn't stay for a long vacation at a deluxe without a very good discount as I know I can be very happy at a moderate or value

Last edited by Tink415; 04-11-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #44
TBLaube

I am a DVC member. Unfortunately most of my trips are booked last minute or with little notice so I have to split based on room availability. On longer trips it isnt bad and it is nice to stay in different areas of WDW.
I do agree that is much easier to unpack once though!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #45
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

We did our first split stay last year, and have another planned.
For us, we wanted a longer vacation last year, but could not afford BC the entire time, but could afford doing a split. We also really wanted to experience a Deluxe. It was like 2 vacations in 1 and amazing!

This year, we have a triple split planned and will be there for 18 nights. DH is only going to be there for the later half, so the kids and I are going to experience two resorts we would not have the opportunity to as a family of 5. We don't do the parks the entire time, and try to enjoy the resorts, too.

DS(8) DS (10)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
AoA/POFQ split stay - June 2014
**COMING SOON*** Disneyland July 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: