Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

couple more questions about son's CP

My son is set to check in 1/22. Need to ask a couple more questions--

1. What are the advantages of the different dorms that you can live in? He is 21, and will be bringing his car.

2. He asked to do merchandising. Will he know immediately where he will be working? Will it be assigned, or do you choose?

3. Can he change jobs if he ends up not liking merchandising?

Thanks, so much! So excited for him!

june@imsarc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
jenniy122
Mouseketeer

2. He will find out the general area he's working at check-in, and then the specifics once he starts training. It's assigned.

3. Nope, once you've accepted your role that's what you get, no changing.
2011 - POP
2014 - POP

my blog

jenniy122 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

If you know which apartment you want and/or have room mates already set up before going down, one needs to wait in line very early. I dropped my dd off at 4 am and there were more than 50 people in line. She did get her first choice.

If he has a car - Chattam or Patterson - does not matter. No bus stop at Patterson and would need to walk to Chattam. The only thing I know about Vista - walking distance to Walgreens, etc., is that it is older and might be more run down.

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

Good info, thanks, much!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by june@imsarc.com View Post
1. What are the advantages of the different dorms that you can live in? He is 21, and will be bringing his car.
Vista is the oldest complex, built in the 80s. Houses 2x the students so more people, more things going on. More centrally located; not only is it walking distance to Walgreens/Fast Food/Gas Station... it's also only a small hop away from I-4. Education offices are out of Vista and I believe it's the only complex with 2 pools??

Chatham was built in the 90s. Across the street from Mickey's Retreat (volleyball, kayaking, other outdoor activities). Has a bus stop but not within walking distance to anything. Traffic can be difficult driving to/from work depending on the path taken.

Patterson was built in the late 00s, making it by far the newest. No bus stop - have to walk to Chatham. Tends to be considered the quietest of the complexes, though that can change depending on the students of the semester. Same traffic problems as Chatham.

I lived in Patterson - got along great with my roommates and was the first person to EVER live in my apartment (so it was beautiful and clean). If I did it again, I wouldn't live there. It's too far away and I never felt like going to the events at the other complexes because of the distance.

Even though I brought my car; I used the buses when I could for work - it took a little longer but it saved on gas and I didn't have to spend 10 minutes driving around looking for a parking spot.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much, your information was great!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
edk35
DIS Veteran

My daughter was there this time last year. She was also 21 and had her car. She lived in Chatham and liked it. She had no issues there and if they needed something fixed, it was done right away. The location was good....close to things she needed to get to as far as driving distance. She only took the bus a few times...the commute time was a lot longer that way so she rarely took the bus.

My daughter was placed in Quick Service Food and Beverage despite telling them prior to arrival she was severely allergic to nuts. She did a short stint in MK with the popcorn/almond carts before she was moved to the Emporium a couple of weeks after checking in. Her case was unusual as far as getting a move goes.

I hope you son enjoys his program.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

March 15 BCV/AKV Jambo Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Joeywarhorse
Mouseketeer

Berlioz,

Is there such thing as married housing for husband and wife both doing the CP?
Joeywarhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

So far he loves it! He found four room mates at check in and they moved into Chatham. His job is merchandise/strollers at the entrance area. He also gets to greet people and give out the "my first trip" or "its my birthday buttons," and then he can also get a "glow cart"--which I learned is a cart prior to the parades where they sell the light-up toys. Sounds like fun!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywarhorse View Post
Berlioz,

Is there such thing as married housing for husband and wife both doing the CP?
Not married per say - but they'll put a couple together in a single apt. My good friends did the program while married and they lived in Chatham. They had to send some paperwork down ahead of time so their room was pre-arranged for them.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by june@imsarc.com View Post
So far he loves it! He found four room mates at check in and they moved into Chatham. His job is merchandise/strollers at the entrance area. He also gets to greet people and give out the "my first trip" or "its my birthday buttons," and then he can also get a "glow cart"--which I learned is a cart prior to the parades where they sell the light-up toys. Sounds like fun!

Which park??

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

March 15 BCV/AKV Jambo Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

Magic Kingdom! One week of work down, and so far so good!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: