Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #211
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

QOTD:

Spring here starts around the beginning of March, but I still hate how long it takes to be really nice outside - and we often have bursts of snowfall well into spring. It's not uncommon to have a "white Easter".

I am certain that SAD is indeed happening. I hate the short winter days. In early January sunrise is after 8am and sunset a little after 4pm. Up in Northern Germany the days are even half an hours shorter. And I could not imagine living in Sweden or Norway in the winter. I know plenty of people who suffer from winter - and I can feel it myself. One great thing that I got last winter was a "daylight alarm clock". It is a very light light that gradually starts getting lighter until the alarm kicks in. It really helps me to get out of bed when it is dark outside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
If you do not have a food scale, I HIGHLY recommend it. I just got the "Biggest Loser" food scale and let me tell you it has change my portion controls.
Great to hear that you are getting a benefit out of your food scale! I remember that I encouraged you getting one.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #212
disneyjr77
Earning My Ears

Is it too late for me to join you?
disneyjr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #213
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Love it!
October 2011: ASMo with DD4 and DD7months
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #214
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjr77 View Post
It is never to late to join and to start losing weight!!

Just make sure to read the first two posts of the thread and PM your start weight and your goal for the rest of February to Lisa, our hostess. And then just jump in!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #215
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Hey all! No time to read right now. I didn't get called to work so I want to take the opportunity to head to Maine to visit a possible vacation rental for this summer (before we get big snow in the next few days!).

I should be home by mid-afternoon and will check in with you all then.

QOTD for Thursday, February 7, 2013:

How far away is SPRING for your area of the world/country? Do you enjoy spring? Do you believe that SAD (Season Affective Disorder) truly exists? Do you feel down in the winter and better in the spring and summer? (Okay... I know that is more like 4 questions! )
Well--I'm in Oregon--the valley so spring is completely psychotic here. It can change completely in a matter of hours and does. It's also always very late--the crocuses will get frozen or snowed on...and summer doesn't ever kick in until July. We always do have a late fall though. And yeah SAD is prevalent here, I think I've got that under control the last few years with vitamin d plus as much jacuzzi time in the sun as I can get. I always wear sunscreen on my face and don't generally get one side more than 10 minutes. Yesterday I put some mast on and went in the bedroom to read some preventions and had sun on the bed so I laid out naked for about 20 minutes let my back soak up the sun-- it was nice. I'm sure the cats were a little mystified by the whole ordeal...lol.

Quote:
Woohoo on more peace! Disney prices do seem a bit steep sometimes, but when I start comparing them to other things (like local game of laser tag, a local amusement venue, and the like) and you start realizing what you get for the price, sometimes it doesn't seem so bad!
Yeah we do that too-- figure out the cost on a daily basis--the last time it worked out to 52.50 a day for us so--awesome considering the top of the line entertainment, fireworks, rides, the fact that it's our favorite place in the world...

Had a pretty good day yesterday really. Limited my bedroom cleaning time to an hour and got 3 loads of dishes done during that time too. Just turned on the tv music in both rooms to a big band/jazzy station-- it was nice. Took about 45 minutes to pick the crab but was watching Dr. Oz so also nice. The tuna helper turned out pretty good, was going to add peas but had some broccoli in the fridge that was on it's last legs so added that and a few carrots finely chopped which added some nice color and a bunch of finely chopped garlic. Husband couldn't find the crushed garlic last week at Costco so he got a huge bag of the already peeled garlic which I love but I think I need to get a garlic crusher lol.
Still had the time to use the elliptical and get back to watch The Middle and the rest of the lineup.
I'm really enjoying a lineup on my mp3 player right now for the elliptical, it starts with a loong remix of Pink coming up, then black eyed peas time of my life, Kelly Clarkson's what doesn't kill you, 2 remixes of milkshake, Killers, human, Maroon 5 This Love, black eyed peas rock that body, Maroon 5 give a little more, Rick James superfreak, the killers I got a soul, Tommy James Hanky Panky, Killers--when you were young, All american rejects dirty little secret, pitbull/brown international love, etc. that's been getting me through my workouts usually if I don't just put time of my life on repeat--that really gets me going, that and rock that body.

I have to put my 2 bits in quick here-- were all cranky, tired and down-- it is winter, we've been working out a lot, were sore, hungry, and frankly dieting takes a lot out of you energy wise. Don't give up, it is worth it when you face the scale, and those pants start fitting better, and I see a marked difference in my face--you can see my cheekbones and I look prettier....so hang in there and remember you have to reward yourself with some kind of non food item every week you lose.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #216
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey all! No time to read right now. I didn't get called to work so I want to take the opportunity to head to Maine to visit a possible vacation rental for this summer (before we get big snow in the next few days!).

I should be home by mid-afternoon and will check in with you all then.

How far away is SPRING for your area of the world/country? Do you enjoy spring? Do you believe that SAD (Season Affective Disorder) truly exists? Do you feel down in the winter and better in the spring and summer? (Okay... I know that is more like 4 questions! )
Spring is hopefully at the end of March...I want to get out camping again. We managed it for St Patricks day last year.

I do believe that SAD exists, because I send patients for lightbox treatment for it. I personally don't feel 'down' in winter, but I definitely feel more lethargic, go to bed earlier etc and am less inclined to 'do'stuff, I'd rather lay in bed and read!

I do more in the summer months because of the longer days, there are plenty of hours left after getting home from work whereas in winter it's get home, eat, go to bed!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #217
sskem96
DIS Veteran

I'm jumping in a little late this year. I've done the BL challenges beforw, but I guess I got away from the dis when I wasn't actively planning a trip. We arw going on a 4 night cruise on the Dream next Jan, plus I have a 20 yr high school reunion coming up this summer, so I'm jumping back in for some support!

We are doing a family wt loss competition that we started on Jan 1. We are all doing pretty good so far, but I'm definitely in need of some extra motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla

I definitely believe that SAD exists because I suffer from it. We have had some pretty mild temps this winter and last, but that doesn't help the lack of daylight. I try to walk the dogs when it's not too cold out so I'm at least getting some sun. I work night shift, so a lot of times when we do have a nice sunny day I totally miss out because I have to sleep. In about 6 more weeks the kids should start having outdoor softball practices, so then I'll sit outside for a couple hours and read a book (or the dis) while I soak up some rays.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #218
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Pamela, thank you so much for coaching this week and getting us off to a great start!

And a big, WATP welcome to our new coach starting tomorrow, Magdalene!

I'm all ready for your weigh ins tomorrow!

It is very helpful if you can please put the words "Weigh in 2/8" and your number in the subject of your PMs. For example, "Weigh in 2/8 149". This makes it easy for me to double check your numbers, and of course, I will still reply to you so you know I received your PM.

Good luck tomorrow to all of us!

BRB with some replies.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #219
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

I am 100% sure that I am going to have a gain this week....but remembering what my friend Kathy always says, I am not giving up. I did not eat well this week, BUT I did make a doctor's appointment for tomorrow. So hoping to soon have some help dealing with the back issues. I am still getting in my mile a day, which I am proud of. Just doing the best I can, and trying hard to be good with that for now.

Thank you Pamela for coaching this week.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #220
lisah0711
her Disney office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Hey, I am a lawyer, too!
Interesting! I know nothing about the German legal system -- I'm sure you never know what kind of day you will have either. My DH is a lawyer, too. You do not want to get in an argument at our house . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomment711 View Post
I feel more at peace now than I have in a long time. I feel in control and bette about my choices. The decision to lose weight has been so amazing for me.

That being said, hotel an airfare are booked for Disneyland. All that separates us is 18 pounds. Sad though that the most expensive part of the trip are the tickets.
Woo hoo on a Disney trip in your future! I am so glad that you are at peace -- it will help you in all phases of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
I really hope the scale is kind to me this weekend, so far it's been all over the place.
Sending you oodles of It's just a matter of time, Buffy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I found out that I really like tofu, but I have never been able to make it myself in a way that I really enjoyed. Does anyone have a good recipe they can share? Maybe I ought to look at the recipe thread....
Tofu is so yummy! Here is a link to a really easy baked tofu that is easy to fix and very tasty. http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/t...ect-baked-tofu It's from a website called healthytippingpoint.com and I found it totally by accident when I was doing a search one day.

Pamela, sorry that the house was a bust in Maine. I'm glad that you were able to get back home before the big storm. Sounds like you have a good prospect, too. A day at the beach is sounding pretty good right now!

Quote:

You call this a fun question?!? Just kidding. It is a great question. I absolutely think SAD really exists. I take vitamin D regularly, too. That was one of the hardest things for me to get used to living here in the Pacific Northwest -- the lack of sun is tough on this Anaheim girl. Summer will start in June here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
What is spring? Shoot I feel like we hardly have winter here in Missouri anymore (speaking as a horticulturist). I have been putting my houseplants outside everyday this week.

My bulbs tried to come up a few weeks ago and then FROZE.
That is a bummer about your bulbs. Hope they come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfield1984 View Post
I hit a minor speed bump last night as I was laying in bed. It was one of those days where I just couldn't stop eating! (but I still logged everything and was well within my points... the advantages of not having junk food in the house!). I was just feeling down about how long this weight is going to take to come off. I know it's a lifestyle change, and I will be living like this forever and honestly I'm happy with that because I've been feeling great lately with all the changes I've made, but it just seems like such a long journey. But I tried to remind myself that I'm already down 13 pounds, which is great, and since I took 28 years to put on all this weight, I can at least give myself a year or 2 to take it all off!! I'm feeling better this morning and am glad that I was able to turn my thoughts around because normally I'm a dweller and I don't bother trying to make things look positive.

Anyways, I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Sorry for the bump in the road. Hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Spring? Oh yeah, I think that's the five days we have between summer and...summer and... summer! It's all good though as my DH says I'm a reptile as I love, love, LOVE the heat.
You live in the right place for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFam95 View Post
Well I did my first day yesterday soda free!!! Thanks for the encouragement. I got my favorite red tea Rooibos and made a pitcher. It has such I nice light vanilla taste. Lets see how today goes. Well be going out to dinner tonight so that's when I cave but I told my kids to hold me to it and you know they like to catch you when you do something "wrong"

Off to the treadmill! And then a plank. I did 2 30sec sets yesterday.
Congrats on the soda free day and the planks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjr77 View Post
Nope, never too late to join us! I see Magdalene already gave you the scoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post
I have to put my 2 bits in quick here-- were all cranky, tired and down-- it is winter, we've been working out a lot, were sore, hungry, and frankly dieting takes a lot out of you energy wise. Don't give up, it is worth it when you face the scale, and those pants start fitting better, and I see a marked difference in my face--you can see my cheekbones and I look prettier....so hang in there and remember you have to reward yourself with some kind of non food item every week you lose.
Thanks for the great reminder, Susan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
Spring is hopefully at the end of March...I want to get out camping again. We managed it for St Patricks day last year.

I do believe that SAD exists, because I send patients for lightbox treatment for it. I personally don't feel 'down' in winter, but I definitely feel more lethargic, go to bed earlier etc and am less inclined to 'do'stuff, I'd rather lay in bed and read!

I do more in the summer months because of the longer days, there are plenty of hours left after getting home from work whereas in winter it's get home, eat, go to bed!!!
Here's to an early spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskem96 View Post
I'm jumping in a little late this year. I've done the BL challenges beforw, but I guess I got away from the dis when I wasn't actively planning a trip. We arw going on a 4 night cruise on the Dream next Jan, plus I have a 20 yr high school reunion coming up this summer, so I'm jumping back in for some support!

We are doing a family wt loss competition that we started on Jan 1. We are all doing pretty good so far, but I'm definitely in need of some extra motivation.
and thanks for sending me your PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I am 100% sure that I am going to have a gain this week....but remembering what my friend Kathy always says, I am not giving up. I did not eat well this week, BUT I did make a doctor's appointment for tomorrow. So hoping to soon have some help dealing with the back issues. I am still getting in my mile a day, which I am proud of. Just doing the best I can, and trying hard to be good with that for now.

Thank you Pamela for coaching this week.
Hope you get some good news and help from the doctor tomorrow, Rose.

I had a 3.6 gain at WW today. I still had 20 weekly points so I am just believing that my body decided to hold onto weight this week and that next week it will be gone as fast as it appeared. Boy, it is so frustrating, though.

I'm counting on all your wonderful PMs tomorrow to help me get my happy back.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #221
NightAngelX
Would rather be at WDW

Hi all! New to WISH. I've only been to WDW but dreamed of it my entire life so when I went as an adult it was a dream come true. I can't wait to go back but honestly I need to lose some weight and get physically fit first. I was so worn out, sore and tired each day. Next time I go I want to feel as good as I do inside physically. So what better place to gain support than a Disney message board?? I loved this site for trip planning and hope it has the same magic for weight loss.

DH is BELOW GOAL!! I have 6 lbs to go!!!!
NightAngelX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #222
lisah0711
her Disney office

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngelX View Post
Hi all! New to WISH. I've only been to WDW but dreamed of it my entire life so when I went as an adult it was a dream come true. I can't wait to go back but honestly I need to lose some weight and get physically fit first. I was so worn out, sore and tired each day. Next time I go I want to feel as good as I do inside physically. So what better place to gain support than a Disney message board?? I loved this site for trip planning and hope it has the same magic for weight loss.
Thanks for joining us! You've found a wonderful place for support and accountability. And Disney is a great motivator! You still have to do all the work and heavy lifting but you know there is a wonderful bunch of folks to help you along the way. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #223
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Happy Friday WISHERS!!!!

I am up in weight this morning...grrr....I was doing so good all week maintaining and even losing a 1/2 lb. Oh well....It is all good right?

It was a VERY VERY stressful week so I got off track on my fruits and veggies. I know that has to be the difference.

My DH goes back to work today after being off 6 weeks for the heart attack & then triple bypass on Dec. 27th.

Good news is that my MILs liver biopsy came back benign. Bad news is it finally sunk in with her that she is terminal with her condition. She has advanced cirrhosis.

So to everyone here, have a happy friday and happy planning. I will be putting my house back together today.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #224
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Angry

This is so NOT the way I wanted to start off my weekend! I went to the doctor last night and the nurse told me my bp was 140/80! I couldn't believe it! This has come out of nowhere. And isn't it ironic that my DH, who went for a physical for his dream job yesterday, was so stressed about it, that his bp was through the roof! And to add insult to injury, I didn't lose so much as an ounce since last Friday. I feel like I could just cry and have a good old-fashioned pity party ...

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #225
Flossbolna

Welcome to Week 2!

Hi everyone! I will be your coach for the next week!

First of all, thank you very much to Pam for her coaching in our first week of the challenge!

Lisa already gave you all the instructions for the weigh in - I hope many people can see a good result on the scale!

My name is Magdalene and I am currently losing weight for my Disney cruise in April (followed by a visit to WDW). While this is the motivation that keeps me going at the moment, I also know that I will feel better and fitter if I manage to lose about another 20 pounds from where I am now, which as of today is a BMI of 25.7. I used to be heavier and have been around my current weight for the last 3 years. I tried a few times to get lower, but never managed to get very far or to maintain at a lower level. So I am using the cruise as the big motivation to finally get me under that barrier.

I hope to be able to keep this thread active over the next week - however I want to add one disclaimer: Since I am German and English is a foreign language to me, don't be offended if I end up making weird mistakes!!

So, on to the first Question of the Day:

Looking back at the first week of February and thinking about what worked for you that last week and what did not, can you pick one thing which you will try to either keep doing or which you will try to change for the next week to help you on your weight loss journey for the next week? And for those of you who just decided to join us - there appears to be a bunch of you - what will you pick as the one thing that will help you get started with this new week?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: