Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

I don't agree. Disney World's demographic is not thrill rides. It is not teens touring alone in screaming bundles waiting to drop from some obscene height. Its demographic is families. Rides are theatrical experiences, not just a pit in your stomach while you briefly wonder if you might die. That's Universal Studio's demographic.

I think there's an element of maturity needed to appreciate Disney World. Wonderful for small children. Teens who object to the lack of thrill rides will probably grow to understand that there is more to Disney's method than thrill.

In the meantime, the disappointed teens can go to Universal Studios and we will welcome them back to WDW when they come to their senses

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle5 View Post
Our family loves DAK.
Ours too. I don't think they 'blew it' at all. And I think Disney would miss the mark if it opened a thrill ride park.

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
married2mm
DIS Veteran

One size does not fit all,but Disney does a fine job of catering to their market.

What suits one tween/teen will not suit another,happily they're all different.
If you choose your vacations around your children's wishes,then wdw May not be the right choice.
If that's where you want to go,then go-have fun!

In our family- we have older teens 16&19-who still love wdw-in fact,we are all very happy to vacation at wdw,it's a family vacation-precious together time- and its wonderful.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
#1DopeyFan
DIS Veteran

My oldest two are 14yo & 16yo and WDW is still their #1 vacation choice!! They love the thrill rides, but they also LOVE it for everything else that it is. They are both currently planning their senior trips with their friends and guess where they want to go? Yep, WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonears View Post
Disney has always been a park designed for the entire family. There's a little bit for everyone. In my opinion, it's good the way it is, and I believe the numbers at the turn stiles are pretty much proof. On the other hand, I do believe that they missed the boat completely with Animal Kingdom. In my opinion, an animal based park was a huge mistake. They're just too expensive to maintain. Vet. bills are a killer and people can see animals at any zoo. It should have been Disney's thrill attraction park. They had a chance to blow Universal out of the water, but blew it.
THANK GOODNESS they didn't attempt to "blow Universal out of the water"!! AK is an AMAZING park, they've done a phenomenal job with it.
Who needs another Universal, Six Flags, etc.

Me ~ ...DD ~ 1996 ...DS ~ 1998 ...DS ~ 2005
September 2013 ~ Pop Century *** May 2013 ~ Hyatt Place/Darkside to see HP
Aug./Sept. 2012 ~ All Star Sports *** February 2008 ~ All Star Sports *** February 2007 ~ Disneyland Hotel
September 2005 ~ Coronado Springs *** February 2005 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge
May 2004 ~ Pop Century *** Dec. 2003 ~ Yacht Club
Jan. 2003 ~ Coronado Springs *** June 2002 ~ Off Site
Jan. 2002 ~ Off Site *** Aug. 2001 ~ All Star Movies
Jan. 1998 ~ Off Site *** Jan. 1995 ~ Off Site
#1DopeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
HappyHaunts999
Mouseketeer

My kids still love Disney(DD22 & DS 17).Our trips are not the same as when they were little. Maybe you should try looking into things you haven't done before.
Parasailing
Jet skis
Backstage tours
Seasonal Events (We are going to Star Wars Weekend this year)
There are many things that lots of people over look. Think about what interests they have and see what you can find. No matter what a vacation should be about enjoying time together as a family, Thrill rides are a plus.
HappyHaunts999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
OziJo
Mouseketeer

I know where the OP is coming from here. It is sad to see your teenagers start to move away from the things we have always loved to do with them.

As far as Disney is concerned though we have been lucky. My DD's who are now 15, 17 & 20 yrs old first went to Disneyland when the were 11, 13 & 16 and Disney World 3 years later. They loved Disneyland & Disney World then and would not change a thing. While they do love the more thrilling rides such as Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror they also wouldn't miss River Safari and Pirates of the Caribbean. And our all time family favourite are of course Splash Mountain and Space Mountain. They did love the rides at Universal and if we go back to Orlando (fingers crossed Dec 2014) we would do 3 days at Universal but never at the expense of a Disney Day.

Each to their own. There are many parks around the world that cater for the pure thrill seeker but Disney is for families young and old. I'm looking forward to taking the Grand kiddies one day and I don't want to sit out too often holding the bags. As it is I believe I can do any ride at Disney World and only California Screamer freaks me out in Anaheim. So there in lies the appeal. For a total family experience I believe Disney has the right balance.

Wonderful time at Fort wilderness- A mini TR with Pictures

My Jan 2012 PTR. We Are Coming from the Land Down Under!

Jan 2012 WDW Fort Wilderness Cabins DH DD1/18 DD2/15 DD3/13 and Me
2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.
OziJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
jgh
Peter Pan!

I've been going to Disney since I was a baby and, now being 21, I can't say that there's ever been a time that I thought Disney needed to change or that there wasn't anything there for me. I'm glad that there isn't many huge thrill rides at Disney. That's not who Disney is. That's why I love Disney over other theme-parks with huge thrill rides...Universal, Busch Gardens, etc.

You can do almost everything at Disney with the whole family, which makes it great!

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
disneycat321
Mouseketeer

I agree with others- Disney appeals to a huge range of people, and they do it very well. That said, they of course cannot please everyone.

I am in California, and we have SO MANY thrill based parks in this state - I don't want Disney adapting their methods!!! Disney is magic - it's about so much more than the rides. I used to like the huge scary six flags type thrill rides more as a teen- now, in my late 20s, I have virtually no interest in them. I'll take the theming and magic any day over the parks where you just walk around from ride to ride amidst dirty surroundings, unsupervised teens making out, and disgruntled employees.

When I was a kid in Northern California, I loved going to marine world. It was all about animals and dolphin shows... Then six flags bought it. I went back years later, as a teen, and was so disappointed. Thrill rides had taken over until the animal shows, etc are just an afterthought. I liked the rides for what they were, but does EVERY theme park need to be all thrills all the time? There are plenty of other places people can go for that.

I love disney's level of thrills. ToT gets my adrenaline going, but doesn't terrify me. I want to have fun, not be scared to death.

I really think your teens will outgrow this one. Let them have their thrills for now, but later, they'll want to come back to Disney.
Disneyland Annual Passholders
disneycat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #24
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

A few more thrills rides would be nice, yes.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
Magalex
DIS Veteran

We have a 12 yr old DS who loves roller coasters but loves WDW even more. We are taking our first ever DL trip in July & we all talk about it all the time(it has been a long cold & snowy winter)I am so happy that he is still so excited. We took a day during our week long vacation at WDW to visit Universal Orlando. I thought he would love it especially Harry Potter(big fan of the movies). We were not that impressed. We spent the whole day but don't need to go back any time soon. We are more comfortable spending all our time at WDW.
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
WDW 2015-POR
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #26
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

My kids blew right through those teenage years at WDW. Now they are past the thrill (to a degree anyway) attractions and now just love going for the resorts, weather, night shows, drinks and dining.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #27
AR81
DIS Veteran

Wow everyone I don't think the OP was saying to change the whole theme of Magic Kingdom. One extra rollercoaster type ride in each of the four parks that is more agressive/thrilling wouldn't kill the family-oriented vibe. I personally love the theming of Disney World and love all the details. I am not able to go often but I am definitely a fan. However, my 17 year old stepson is not interested whatsoever and is not going this trip. Magic Kingdom has Space, HS has TOT and RNR coaster, Epcot has Mission Space and Test track and AK has Expedition Everest. I think if they just added one more of those type of rides in each park it would make a big difference and it certainly wouldn't take anything from the theming of the park; it would only add....
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR81 View Post
Wow everyone I don't think the OP was saying to change the whole theme of Magic Kingdom. One extra rollercoaster type ride in each of the four parks that is more agressive/thrilling wouldn't kill the family-oriented vibe. I personally love the theming of Disney World and love all the details. I am not able to go often but I am definitely a fan. However, my 17 year old stepson is not interested whatsoever and is not going this trip. Magic Kingdom has Space, HS has TOT and RNR coaster, Epcot has Mission Space and Test track and AK has Expedition Everest. I think if they just added one more of those type of rides in each park it would make a big difference and it certainly wouldn't take anything from the theming of the park; it would only add....
Yes, it would add but Disney doesn't just dump a thrill ride in a park with no thought to it. That's kinda why some of the other "theme" parks can have those big roller coasters. Because there is no theme. Can't imagine Expedition Everest without the Yeti theme. It would just be another *yawn* roller coaster where you go up, go backwards in the dark and then come down the drop. And to build the whole thing inside and outside a mountain that really looks like it belongs in the Himalayas goes way beyond what a "theme" park would do. Doing a thrill ride for Disney takes years.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj2610 View Post
I was wondering how many people feel as I do that disney is missing out on a substantial opportunity by not adding more to attract the tweens and teens(okay alot of thrill seeking adults too) I have 3 daughters one of them grown but also a 10 and 15 year old who are really losing their desire to go to disneyworld as they say that there is not enough stuff that they like to do. They only really like splash mountain and big thunder mountain railroad at Magic Kingdom, TOT and Rockin Rollercoaster at the Studios. They are finally telling me they don't really care to go to disney anymore which is heartbreaking for me as I love the place. Then again I can understand them as they love Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens for you guessed it Thrill rides. Of course they have also outgrown the princess stage to my horror. I think it is time that disney created more thrill rides based on the villians, which I will admit are my favorite characters. How does anyone else feel? My daughters know about *********** and actually asked for me to get a petition going so disney will know how they feel but I do not want to just jump on that bandwagon
I think what is panging you is your daughters are entering their next stage of life and Disney World is not going to be a part of it. That's just a typical thing. My son went when he was 13, said no way when he was 16, was coaxed back at 19 with a trip to Universal (he did not enjoy that BTW) and guess where he wanted to take his family on their first official trip together? Yep - Disney World.

Disney World doesn't need to change to accommodate tweens and teens. Because those tweens and teens will grow up and either embrace the magic or go off with their own families and do their own thing. Or do both. Tweens and teens change, no reason for Disney to do that.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #30
AR81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Yes, it would add but Disney doesn't just dump a thrill ride in a park with no thought to it. That's kinda why some of the other "theme" parks can have those big roller coasters. Because there is no theme. Can't imagine Expedition Everest without the Yeti theme. It would just be another *yawn* roller coaster where you go up, go backwards in the dark and then come down the drop. And to build the whole thing inside and outside a mountain that really looks like it belongs in the Himalayas goes way beyond what a "theme" park would do. Doing a thrill ride for Disney takes years.
I get what you are saying but why couldn't they theme a roller coaster just as much as they do the other rides? Like someone mentioned after some of the Disney villains ? It could fit in without sticking out like a sore thumb. Don't get me wrong Disney World is beautiful in itself. The resorts, the lakes with watersports, the cruises, tours, firework shows and parades. But a couple of other options wouldn't hurt for the older kid range.
AR81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: