Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #121
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund
 
NHdisneylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany (formally from New Hampshire)
Posts: 14,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyATlast View Post
You're comparing a "child" who is old enough to cook dinner to a young child. Comparing apples to oranges is a common trend here.

It doesn't matter what is said or what isn't said because people here are looking for something to debate. I suggest taking a class.
She was probably 8. She has been able to cook a simple dinner since 5 years old. And, again, she might well have stayed at other houses with just the dad there but it did not register to her--since neither of us thought to notice.
__________________
Hadley

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now  
Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #122
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,825

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Sorry Luv's Jack. I have to disagree. A man who begs his young child to sleep in his bed, even when the child doesn't want to, because the father wants to "hold" him, is going to raise red flags to me. He wants to spend time with him, as the OP states, then how about reading him a story, or playing a game with him before bed.
What I am saying is that what can cause a red flag to go to some reading a few sentence explanation of what goes on in her house, may be nothing at all.

If I had posted the situation with ds and his daughters without enough explanation, I would bet that at least one poster would have had red flags popping up all over; but with the right amount of description, it is seen differently.

When she says "begs" it may not be the same thing as when you (or I) think "begs". Her description and our understanding may be very different than what is really happening.
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #123
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,823

Can we do a spinoff of a spinoff and get this back to its original intent?
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
'14 - Pop
StitchesGr8Fan is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #124
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Can we do a spinoff of a spinoff and get this back to its original intent?
A spinoff of a spinoff! Like Models Inc.!
Janepod is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #125
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?
 
Pea-n-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 22,408

Sad that this thread went so off track.

DisneyATlast, I think you do have to be careful about what you write. There are so many people here from so many different walks of life. Not everyone sees things the same way.

I'll admit that what you originally wrote slightly raised my eyebrow as well. But I think that's pretty normal given the things we read about every day on the news (and some of us apparently work with or have lived in real life). OTOH, you know your family best.

I think the thing I'm sure most of us can agree on, is that we as parents have to keep both eyes open when it comes to the health and well-being of our children. That's all, and I think that's what people were trying to say. We all know stories (and maybe some of us have lived it) of parents that didn't do that, and innocent kids were harmed because of it.

Now you are just fanning the flames. Let it go. Walk away or get back to the original subject matter. Maybe then others can drop it, too. I have no doubt, despite your defensiveness, that you'll be thinking long and hard about this.
__________________



Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #126
crashbb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Wow, you sure do know a lot about how this board works considering you just join last month.
Really? I was wondering what board she was reading, because none of those things seemed to be thought as common or standard. Heck, there was a whole thread about it being weird that some spouses slept in separate beds (not sure of the exact split, but at least 50% of people thought it odd).

Never read threads that included about 60% of the stuff the PP was posting.
crashbb is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #127
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,357

Wow what happened???? What was the original post about? It really got lost. Can we get it back on track?
tigercat
tigercat is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #128
lizabu
DIS Veteran
 
lizabu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb

Really? I was wondering what board she was reading, because none of those things seemed to be thought as common or standard. Heck, there was a whole thread about it being weird that some spouses slept in separate beds (not sure of the exact split, but at least 50% of people thought it odd).

Never read threads that included about 60% of the stuff the PP was posting.
I think it was sarcasm.

I was enjoying this thread until it took such a bizarre turn. I think if things were said that sounded a lot worse than they actually may be to people who don't know the poster it's better to just drop it. Returning to this thread over and over to defend or explain previous post just keeps the whole thing going and it's been beaten to death by now.
lizabu is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #129
Baliezer
DIS Veteran
 
Baliezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 618

I'll start. With my younger two, I don't think that I am strict enough. Especially with my youngest. (Remember in my previous post I stated I was too strict with my older two) I think I just don't know where to draw the line? I want everyone to be happy and have a lot of confidence, yet at the same time be respectful and curtious to others.
__________________
Mama to four beautiful girls!
Baliezer is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #130
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
Wow what happened???? What was the original post about? It really got lost. Can we get it back on track?
tigercat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I think it was sarcasm.

I was enjoying this thread until it took such a bizarre turn. I think if things were said that sounded a lot worse than they actually may be to people who don't know the poster it's better to just drop it. Returning to this thread over and over to defend or explain previous post just keeps the whole thing going and it's been beaten to death by now.


I found it weird that the poster repeatedly stated what people on the Dis are like when her join date is Jan 2013. I wasn't at all agreeing with her characterizations.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #131
wvjules
DIS Veteran
 
wvjules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,524

I think maybe someone has fallen off their rocker, and I'm not taking about Betty White.
wvjules is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #132
crashbb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
I'll start. With my younger two, I don't think that I am strict enough. Especially with my youngest. (Remember in my previous post I stated I was too strict with my older two) I think I just don't know where to draw the line? I want everyone to be happy and have a lot of confidence, yet at the same time be respectful and curtious to others.
Isn't that what we all want? The trouble is figuring out how to do get there (and, I think, it can be different for each child).
crashbb is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #133
lizabu
DIS Veteran
 
lizabu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat
Wow what happened???? What was the original post about? It really got lost. Can we get it back on track?
tigercat
We're discussing mistakes made as first time parents. Regrets about how we may have handled things. I know personally I read a lot of parenting magazines before my oldest son was born. I stressed about SIDs, organic baby food, breast feeding and cloth vs disposable diapers.

I don't regret too many of those things. I was just trying to do the best for my baby. I realized after not too long that using disposable diapers wasn't going to damage my child for example.

I love when mothers can share these kinds of feelings as everyone worries and wants to be the best parent they can be. It's nice to see woman supporting each other. Too often people choose to tear each other down and criticize one another (in general, I'm not referencing any previous posts.)
lizabu is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #134
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!
 
Scurvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rocket City
Posts: 4,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
I wish I hadn't listened to all the endless hype about breastfeeding.

One of the happiest days of my life is the day I stopped. My son was happier, too.
Me too! I really regret the time I spent stressing about breast feeding exclusively. The day we decided to start supplementing with formula - and then when we switched over entirely - we were all much happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I bought a lot of things I never used like change table, a rocking chair and lots of toys. Babies don't really get as fascinated by toys in real life as they do in the commercials.
And this too. We bought way too many toys and clothes over the years. Some of them never really got used. If I had it to do over again I would have taken a much more minimal approach.

Also, I would have made sure my child studied more when he was in elementary school, even if it meant coming up with supplemental assignments for him. For most of elementary and middle school, things came easy to him and he didn't really have to study. He went through a rough patch in high school before he finally learned he couldn't skate through all his classes without studying. Even now he tends to procrastinate and not study as much as he should, and then he gets frustrated when his grades aren't what he thought they would be.

And as for the weird tangent this thread took, I agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I agree. Gender has NOTHING to do with this as far as I am concerned. A child, of either gender, wanting to sleep with one or both parents (of either gender) and being allowed to would not raise any red flags for me . A child (of either gender) who is heading to his or her own bed happily, being asked/convinced to instead go to a parent's bed (by a parent of either gender) and being carried there after falling asleep if they DO go to their own bed, so that the parent (of either gender) can enjoy "cuddling" them through the night--even though the child has expressed no desire to do so. THAT is the issue.

As I said before, it is like your son is a comfort item for your husband. Your son should not be that--it is a burden (at a minimum) for a child to be "needed" so strongly by a parent--this is the reverse of how things should be, and wholly unfair to the child.
I would find the situation very troublesome if it was my family. Actually it's so far from normal that I would be quite alarmed. I would wonder why my husband was having to find comfort this way. It would bother me that he wasn't finding comfort with me instead of with the child. I would probably be dragging him to some sort of family counseling to get to the bottom of what was going on. As other posters mentioned, the situation could lead to the child not having healthy boundaries as he gets older and it is really very unfair to the child for him to be put in this position.
__________________
Scurvy is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #135
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran
 
cabanafrau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 5,312

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Folks, back off. You don't "know" that something is going on. No matter what the pp says you are going to twist and turn it because you are already positive that something weird is going on.

DS has two small daughters. He is now separated from his wife. He works away from home and stays with me on the weekends so that he can easily see his daughters.

He bathes them, he changes them, and at least one of them will sleep with him. Only one though. (so go ahead and jump on it) But, wait. . . maybe your first thought is wrong. And. . . IT IS!!!

He sleeps with one because the other one has a crib but we have not yet bought a toddler bed (her mom took her bed with her but left the crib) Sometimes the older one will ask to sleep with me instead and she does if dh is not home. If dh is home, ds will talk her into sleeping with him instead (OH NO!! ).

Not one thing is going on and I know that as well as I know my name. Its just the situation.

And it is very possible that even though none of you want to see it, the pp knows her situation just as well as I know ours and that she knows nothing is going on.

There are a lot of men that tend to shy away from doing the same things with their dd's as they do with their sons because of the mindset of so many people (just read this thread!). Doesn't mean they are more likely to be molesting their child, just means they are placing too much importance on what others think.
You talk about problems with mindset? Sexual abuse of children has no respect of gender lines. The cold hard facts are that women are most likely to get away with it because most people believe it would be the extreme case where a woman would do something like that. Boys are less likely to be believed when they admit they have been abused and they are easier prey because the generally accepted attitude is that girls are the ones who need protection so there is less vigilence with the boys.

It is 100-percent factual that I spent several hours yesterday dealing with the case of a now-grown mother coming forward to speak at her father's sentencing for his systematic rape of her for several years in her adolescence. She described her idyllic childhood, full of family time, vacations, loving parents -- until she was 12. She told no one until her now adolescent younger sister made some comments about dad acting weird. One look at their mother about killed me. She sat in the courtroom a horrible shell, with a face that told you she is in agony because this went on in her home, under her nose for years and she missed every sign.

Do I know the facts of what's happening in this poster's life? No. I read what she wrote, before she erased it. Do I even know the poster is a woman, a wife or a mother? No. Do I see a bunch of vociferous responses to anyone who has questioned her? I'll let you answer that one for yourself. Do I necessarily believe this is a real poster, not in fact someone knowing full well the way they craft their responses will inflame the discussion for their own entertainment? No. Do I have lots of experience with how parents who love their children react when they get information their child may be being abused or being groomed? Unfortunately, way too much. Am I going to step back because you say so or because I might be making too much out of nothing and risk being thought a fool on the internet by strangers when there's even a whisper of possibility there is a real child being abused or groomed? Not a chance.
cabanafrau is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.