Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
jeff2012
Earning My Ears

Ideas on cheaper flights to disney

I am coming from Northeast PA to Disney in September. I am obviously flying and my wife and kids all enjoy it. I don't feel like taking out a mortgage to get my flights, does anyone have any suggestions on which carrier is less expensive? And from what airport?
jeff2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
shoney
DIS Veteran

I would start by using www.kayak.com

Also, remember to check 1 way fares. Sometimes it is cheaper to book 2 separate airlines, rather than a round trip ticket.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2012 View Post
I am coming from Northeast PA to Disney in September. I am obviously flying and my wife and kids all enjoy it. I don't feel like taking out a mortgage to get my flights, does anyone have any suggestions on which carrier is less expensive? And from what airport?
My parents live in NEPA and they were mentioning that Allegiant Air now flies out of ABE (Allentown) and has great fares. They have also flown Jet Blue out of Stuart in the past.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
kimbe21
Mouseketeer

Spirit

Spirit Airlines out of Latrobe airport are usually cheap.
kimbe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbe21 View Post
Spirit Airlines out of Latrobe airport are usually cheap.
But watch out for the fees!

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

We drive to BWI or Dulles and take Jet Blue from there. A whole lot cheaper than the local flights.

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka View Post
My parents live in NEPA and they were mentioning that Allegiant Air now flies out of ABE (Allentown) and has great fares. They have also flown Jet Blue out of Stuart in the past.
I would have to double check, but I don't believe Allegiant goes to the Orlando airport. I think it uses Sanford? This could cause problems if you are planning to use magical express.

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2012 View Post
Spirit Airlines is usually the cheapest as long as you don't have too much luggage(high fees). Just remember that you get what you pay for with them.

What we did for our latest trip was we applied and were accepted for the SW Airlines CC. If you spend $2K in the first 3 months, you get 50,000 free points. We used the points for our flights and got all 4 for free. Just paid off the balance when the statement came. In your case, you could maybe pay off the vacation parts and then use the points to book? Or if you have other expenses, use the card and get the points. There is an annual fee, $69 it think, but it still beats the $1200 it would cost in airline tickets.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyniknate View Post
I would have to double check, but I don't believe Allegiant goes to the Orlando airport. I think it uses Sanford? This could cause problems if you are planning to use magical express.
Just checked, and you are correct. I guess it would depend then on whether the OP would be interested in renting a car. If they were planning on renting a car anyway or the savings are great enough, it might still be worth it.

(Me) (DD 12)

Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Lferguson78
Earning My Ears

Airlines fluctuate all the time. The key to a good price is to check often. Typically mid week the prices are lower.
Lferguson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lferguson78 View Post
Airlines fluctuate all the time. The key to a good price is to check often. Typically mid week the prices are lower.
And book through the airline's website. Some airlines, like Jet Blue and I think Southwest, will give you a credit if the fare drops and you call them.

(Me) (DD 12)

Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lferguson78 View Post
Bingo. Fly Southwest when you can, to save money on fees and bags. And watch this board and their website. Every few months, they'll have a big sale that will save you hundreds.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka View Post
And book through the airline's website. Some airlines, like Jet Blue and I think Southwest, will give you a credit if the fare drops and you call them.
Southwest does that, but the credit expires quickly. You have to use it on a flight within 12 months after the date you originally bought the tickets.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
Southwest does that, but the credit expires quickly. You have to use it on a flight within 12 months after the date you originally bought the tickets.
Good to know! With Jet Blue, you only have to book within 12 months, not travel. It gets a bit tricky if you are trying to get a credit on a flight that you used credits to pay for. In that case, it is the original credits will be returned and they will keep their original expiration dates.

(Me) (DD 12)

Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
jeff2012
Earning My Ears

The flights just came out and my wife wants to get them now, she wants to fly out of Philly. Should I tell her to wait?
jeff2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: