Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #511
WestCoastNovaks
Earning My Ears

Upgrade Question - Port Check In

I didn't see an answer, so I want to post again.

We were unable to reserve first check in at the port, but are interested in looking in to upgrading. How does that work? Will they let us in before our check-in time if we tell them we are wanting to upgrade?
Seattle, WA

2014 Aulani DVC - April
2013 14 Day WBPC on the Wonder - May
2010 7 Day Caribbean on the Magic - December
2009 4 Day Caribbean on the Wonder - September
WestCoastNovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #512
Crissup
Upset CAK because she didn't get to hold it first
Haunted by Tag Fairy droppings

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastNovaks

We were unable to reserve first check in at the port, but are interested in looking in to upgrading. How does that work? Will they let us in before our check-in time if we tell them we are wanting to upgrade?
Not sure. Hopefully someone has sailed out of Miami before and can tell us. I'm guessing different rules than Canaveral.

Sent via my iThingy
Crissup is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #513
Happy Goofy
DIS Veteran

My husband and I would love to join Geezers . See you after the show . Love the hot chocolate at the cove . Where exactly do you meet up there?
Happy Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #514
clukas
Mouseketeer

I think you'll be OK

I have not seen anyone turned away when trying to check-in regardless of what time their scheduled check-in time was. I noticed that those with later times got higher boarding numbers but were still allowed to check-in early then go to the supervisors station to ask about upgrades.

I have read that people have been turned away but have witnessed people with late times checking in early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastNovaks View Post

Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #515
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexa View Post
Oh I can clean that off
When you clean off the edible greeting, you will see just a dinner plate. So if you are into taking home the tableware, then have at it, ROFLOL!

Quote:

When we arrived at the Port in LA for our Hawaii cruise, the line stretched far away to get into the building. So check in times did not matter I guess. Problem was, there was only one single cabin available for upgrade, and the second party in line took it.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #516
Goofygranny
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork View Post
The Geezer Meets - now known affectionately as FOG, (Fellowship of Geezers, Federation of Geezers or just that we now live in a fog ) was formed on the PC 2008 cruise. We meet nightly, or when we remember and can stay awake at Cove Cafe. We laugh and enjoy whatever drink and food suits our fancy. A Geezer is 60 years or older and we have been joined by GITs (Geezers in Training) that can be any age, but agree to assist Geezers in finding cabins, etc should we forget where we belong. There will be other founding members onboard with us - Cork (Corinne) and Rich, Marilyn (Grandmaz) and John. We would love to have your parents, or any others interested, join us. We are a welcoming, friendly group.
Looking forward to the Geezer Meets again. I still have my little gold pin that I received when I joined on the 2010 WBTA.
Goofygranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #517
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygranny View Post
Looking forward to the Geezer Meets again. I still have my little gold pin that I received when I joined on the 2010 WBTA.
There's a pin?

Do you have a picture?
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #518
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC

When you clean off the edible greeting, you will see just a dinner plate. So if you are into taking home the tableware, then have at it, ROFLOL!

When we arrived at the Port in LA for our Hawaii cruise, the line stretched far away to get into the building. So check in times did not matter I guess. Problem was, there was only one single cabin available for upgrade, and the second party in line took it.
The Hawaii cruises also sold out a lot faster than this one. We never had a wait to enter the Port of LA for the MRs.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #519
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I sailed on Dec. 23, which was the first day out of Miami. I drove to the port, dropped my kids and the luggage, and then went back into the city to park. By the time I got back I think is was about 11. I think people were lined up to go into the terminal when I first got there, but there were people everywhere as the EBPC people were still trying to get taxis and shuttles. There is not a huge area out in front of the terminal. I think our PAT was either 12-12:30 or 12:30-1 (we ended up with boarding group 10), but it was probably about 11 and we got to go in to the terminal. They check your documents at the door, but I think they just wanted to make sure you were on the cruise and had them (it was someone who works for the port, not a border patrol or Disney person. Then you go up the stairs, then you go through security like at the airport (there were 3 or 4 scanner stations), and you go down a long hallway and there are the check in windows on the right. The first window is where you go for upgrades, but you have to check in first. About 1/4 of the way down there were 2 lines, one for Castaway and one for everyone else (probably a foreign passport line too but I don't know where). There were only about 4 people in front of us for the Castaway line, but the other line was really really long, and one of the groups next to us had something like 14 people/14 passports.

There were no upgrades available for our cruise, or at least that's what she said. Maybe they were all taken by 11:20, but if so I think there then would have been at least 1-2 rooms available (from the people who upgraded?).

On our cruise, it looks like there are still 5 concierge rooms, but it's hard to know. Sometimes it says sold out, sometimes it says just one 00T, other times 5. Sometimes there are 6A verandahs, sometimes not. I really have never seen a cruise change availability so much, sometimes during the same day.

So for all that, I think they will let you in earlier than your PAT, but the entire terminal might not be open before 10 or 10:30, and if you are waiting outside it is not a nice place - sort of like passenger pick up at an airport.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #520
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Your boarding number is tied to your PAT. So even if you show up early, and don't want a upgrade, you will get a boarding number based on your time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #521
WestCoastNovaks
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
So for all that, I think they will let you in earlier than your PAT, but the entire terminal might not be open before 10 or 10:30, and if you are waiting outside it is not a nice place - sort of like passenger pick up at an airport.

Nancy
Thank you so much, this helps a lot! I'll keep checking availability up until a couple of days before we head out. If there are still rooms showing, we will show up early. We'll have our Kindles and Surfaces so don't mind waiting around.
Seattle, WA

2014 Aulani DVC - April
2013 14 Day WBPC on the Wonder - May
2010 7 Day Caribbean on the Magic - December
2009 4 Day Caribbean on the Wonder - September
WestCoastNovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #522
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Goofy View Post
My husband and I would love to join Geezers . See you after the show . Love the hot chocolate at the cove . Where exactly do you meet up there?
On the Hawaii cruise we had to meet upstairs because they were always using the downstairs for cognac tasting or some other thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygranny View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom323 View Post
There's a pin?

Do you have a picture?
Since it is Disney, we decided we definately needed a pin. (As I said, a program in progress. Who knows what we will come up with this trip.) The pins are just regular gold safety pins for Geezers and silver saftey pins for GITs. We wear them on our lanyards proudly. I will bring some for those who are joining us and have not yet received pins.

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #523
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

someone has a list going over on FB for Mixology Tasting for DIS....I don't see that listed here?

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #524
Beauty & the Best
Its all so magical!

Went to Magic Kingdom today in the morning/early afternoon. It was BUSY! I don't know for sure, but it seems like any crowd-aleviation created by the new attractions in New Fantasyland is offset by new visitors because of New Fantasyland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post
You're on the list...
Thanks! I appreciate it.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #525
sharan56
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork

The Geezer Meets - now known affectionately as FOG, (Fellowship of Geezers, Federation of Geezers or just that we now live in a fog ) was formed on the PC 2008 cruise. We meet nightly, or when we remember and can stay awake at Cove Cafe. We laugh and enjoy whatever drink and food suits our fancy. A Geezer is 60 years or older and we have been joined by GITs (Geezers in Training) that can be any age, but agree to assist Geezers in finding cabins, etc should we forget where we belong. There will be other founding members onboard with us - Cork (Corinne) and Rich, Marilyn (Grandmaz) and John. We would love to have your parents, or any others interested, join us. We are a welcoming, friendly group.
Well I think we qualify for the FOG....physically but not mentally of course. Please add me Sharan and my geezer Dave.
sharan56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: