Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

How does this work with tix? Is it like a whole new reservation with new tix?
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

We have done a few split stays. Usually because of availability. We have added a night, or changed dates and it was necessary. But some of the time it is the cost, or points. We don't really unpack so it is easy. Once we started at WL for 3 nights moved to Sport for 1 night (which we won't do again!) And ended with BLT........MK view!!!! For 4 nights. We got a great AP discount on WL, but it was not available on the 4th night and we were renting points for BLT and no availability on that night either. So we had to improvise. Lol! While I was not happy with Sport. It was one night and cost us about $80 with my AP discount! So worth it!!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #18
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinPooh
How does this work with tix? Is it like a whole new reservation with new tix?
It is a whole new reservation. You can get your tix through your first reservation and extend the number of days for your whole trip, and then the second resort becomes a room only reservation.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #19
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We do split stays.

We go on long vacations to Disney World. Our next vacation is 13 days. We are splitting it up between 2 resorts. BCV & BLT, first half of our trip we will have the convenience of Epcot, HS, and we get to see Boardwalk every day!

Second half we have convenience of the monorail, walkway to MK, and you can't beat the view in this area either.

We have Annual Passes, so no ticket hassle for us.

Also your room gets kind of funky after a week. I like to change also because I don't want to spend that much time cleaning my room. I just disinfect as best I can when we move in the 1st day.

We have done them over time for many different reasons. We have split our stay with a beach stay in the middle of our vacation.

Now that we are DVC our vacations are more than just the parks. We also like to experience the resorts and spend time enjoying those resorts.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #20
MyOtherSS
Mouseketeer

We have considered doing a split stay for two reasons, saving costs by splitting between a moderate and deluxe as well as trying two new resorts while we are there.

Past Stays: Fort Wilderness, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Contemporary.
MyOtherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #21
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

We do it to save on points with DVC.. we are staying CL at Jambo for spring break for 3 days... but dont want to pay all the points for the entire week -- so we are staying at Boardwalk.... and its a chance to try different resorts.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #22
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

We're doing 3 hotels during our upcoming 10-day vacation. Our first night, we'll stay at POR. The following morning, we'll check into BC for the bulk of our trip (5 nights), which has the dining plan attached to it. And then we'll finish out our trip at BW in a deluxe club level room with no dining plan.

We have several reasons why we wanted to do a split stay:

A: We only have stayed on property once (YC), and loved that hotel. After that trip, we started considering buying resale DVC at either BC or BW, but didn't want to make a significant investment without having stayed at either resort (I realize we're not staying in the villas, but at least we'll get a feel for the resort). We can kill two birds with one stone with a split stay.

B: We also want to try a moderate. If it's nicer than we think, perhaps we'll skip DVC all together as it might be cheaper to just take trips whenever we want and stay at the moderate level. However, we didn't want to stay at a moderate the whole trip having never been at one before (what if we didn't like it and regretted our decision and were kicking ourselves for the whole trip?). One night seems plenty for us to get a feel for sleeping in the room and doing a little resort exploring.

C: I wanted the dining plan. My husband wanted CL. It would be silly to have both CL and the dining plan, so this was our compromise: Part of the trip is in a non-CL room with dining, and the other part of the trip is in CL room without dining. We're hoping to get a feel for how much food we need to buy staying CL, too (and if it's worth it) as we're pretty sure we'll drop the dining plan on subsequent trips since our second child will be classified as an adult (and eats like a child). Anyway, obviously, we needed two separate reservations for the dining plan portion and then the CL portion, so why not stay at two separate resorts since we'd have to change rooms anyway?
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #23
vinmar4
Mouseketeer

We were afraid of trying split stays at first because of the packing issue but we did it last year for the first time and stayed half of our days at our home resort AKV and the other half at the BWV. We all loved it that we got to experience two different resorts, it felt like two different vacations. We loved the fact that we could just walk to our favorite park, Epcot and take the boat to HS our second favorite park. My DS loved it that he could just walk to Epcot to buy stuff early in the morning if we did not want to get up yet. We want to do split stays now and try all the different deluxe resorts. We just have to learn to pack better to make things easier on us but they will move your luggage for you from resort to resort and also your groceries if you have any. Last year was also my first year that I cooked a couple of meals in our one bedroom and the kids loved to have a home cooked meal, my DH also loved a good spicy authentic Mexican meal so this year we will buy only what I'm cooking at AKV and then go and get some other stuff for the BWV. I don't like to cook when I'm on vacation but after all the restaurant food, we really missed and need a home cooked meal in between.
vinmar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
jackemail
DIS Veteran

I like to do split stays with a Magic Kingdom resort and an EPCOT resort. Easy access to 3 of 4 parks that way.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

I'm too anal about getting the type of room I want in the location I want. I can't imagine going thru that twice in one trip.

I also like to unpack and just not have to worry about moving for 7 or 8 days.

I have had situations where there was no occupancy and we have had to move halfway thru the week, maybe it's in my head but the vacation feels longer if I stay in the same place without the hassle of packing and moving.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I do every time. I am a light packer and never unpack so moving isn't an issue. I like having a different experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackemail View Post
I like to do split stays with a Magic Kingdom resort and an EPCOT resort. Easy access to 3 of 4 parks that way.
In addition to the above, it allows us to try different resorts and still stay at our favorite resort on the same trip. We sometimes stay a couple/few days at a moderate resort at the beginning of our stay to offset the cost of CL at the deluxes too.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #27
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

We do split stays because it feels like two seperate vacations depending on the resorts you pick. Next week we will be at BLT for 5 nights followed by AKV for 4 nights. VERY different themed resorts. I have learned the hard way that splits only work for us if we are doing a minimum of 3-4 nights in each resort. Occasionally if we are on a late arriving flight, we will stay in a value or offsite that night, but I don't feel like my vacation has started until I get to our "real" resort. I also don't like doing 1 night here, 5 nights there 1 night there, two resorts are it for me unless it is for longer stays.
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

For our upcoming trip we will actually be at 5 different hotels, but I only really consider the WDW part a split stay.

Night 1: we'll stop at a Hampton about midnight, daughter will already be asleep in the car, take in one separately packed bag, sleep, shower, eat, leave early morning
Night 2-5: AoA LM room, because my daughter is turning 5 and this trip is all about her but actually I am dying to see a new resort and love Lion King and LM too, so it will def be a great way to kick off the trip and immerse ourselves in Disney
Night 6-9: POR Royal room, once again because this trip is all about her, but by this time dad and I will want a little less characters and chaos, and they have a hot tub for us and a pool slide for Z. We actually sought out a hotel with a hot tub for this part of the trip.
Night 10-12: beach hotel for our daughter's first trip to the ocean
Night 13: some hotel on the way home, depend in what time we leave the beach and what time we want to get home the next day, it may be a nicer one and we will spend time in that city, or a cheapo for crashing and leaving early

We are doing a split stay at Disney for pretty much all the same reasons as everyone else: POR is cheaper than LM for the entire trip, we are not a family that will go that often (about every 3-4 years) so want to experience a lot and know what we like/dislike for return trips, and dad and I want a little more adult themeing than AoA the entire time but we really want her to get the magic of Disney by being in the LM room. But I will also say split stays seem to only work well if everyone is easy going, which we are, and my husband is extremely helpful and accommodating, he is looking forward to the difference in each resort. While I am one to totally unpack for more than a 1 night stay, I am also very, very organized and can have us repacked and unpacked in about 20-30 minutes. And since we are driving down we have the luxury of using our car for storage and extras.
sunnydays28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #29
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

I love split stays. Feels like two separate vacations. But I would never stay in a place for less than two nights. Not worth it. I don't mind packing twice as there are only 3 of us.
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #30
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

We do it so that we can try a new resort without committing our entire vacation to that untried (by us) resort.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: