Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #106
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada

Hope I don't get "flamed" for this but I totally agree. I LOVE Disney....but to me Disney and Star Wars are not one in the same. I'm sure Star Wars would draw crowds if done well but it's not something I would love.
You are well entitled to your stance - no doubt.

But they didnt give crazy George 4 billion for nothing.
Remember - he's also a large (second largest...I believe) shareholder now too.

It's coming in some form - sooner or later.

But I hear you...it's not the same as true Disney. In 1985 - they almost could not have been farther apart. Now they are closer - but still.

But look...neither is marvel, neither is avatar.

Harry potter, transformers, and potentially lord of the rings over at universal are all third party. They are leased at a high price to try and create sizzle or put butts into the parks.

This is the next evolution of the amusement park. You can't build a steel rollercoaster anymore...the world has gotten too "big" for that (or small...depending on your perspective)

It's gotta have a comic book character with merchandise tie-ins and sweatshops at the ready slapped on it now.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #107
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

All of this bit about what constitutes "real" Disney always puzzles me. Corporations are ever evolving and there's no reason that Disney should remain static. They have chosen to use others' creativity rather than their own and that's certainly not a new concept.

I'm concerned because I'm not sure if the Disney style translates well to Star Wars or Marvel. I'm a bit of a nerd and I feel protective of those brands. I think that those brands could be damaged rather than the other way around.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #108
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada View Post
Hope I don't get "flamed" for this but I totally agree. I LOVE Disney....but to me Disney and Star Wars are not one in the same. I'm sure Star Wars would draw crowds if done well but it's not something I would love.

Funny enough, Disney had the chance to distribute and produce Star Wars originally. They passed on it to make Herbie the Love Bug I believe.

They also passed on ET as well to do a Herbie sequel (They taught us this years ago in my CP classes at Disney).
Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #109
Tybalt
Mouseketeer

Something to Marvel at

Personally as a pseudo-nerd and Disney fan, I would be thrilled if Disney added Marvel-themed attractions and meet-and-greets at Hollywood Studios. Marvel appeals to people of all ages, and this would really help Disney compete with Orlando's HP World since it would appeal to teens as well as to children and adults!
Tybalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #110
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybalt View Post
Personally as a pseudo-nerd and Disney fan, I would be thrilled if Disney added Marvel-themed attractions and meet-and-greets at Hollywood Studios. Marvel appeals to people of all ages, and this would really help Disney compete with Orlando's HP World since it would appeal to teens as well as to children and adults!
As much as I would like to see this as well I don't think it will happen in Florida anytime soon. Remember, universal still has the exclusive theme park rights to the marvel characters east of the Mississippi. Maybe on the west coast?

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #111
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

So. It's been a month. While that isn't long, I'm Still a huge skeptic right now.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #112
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

So...apparently this is the Top Thread of the Month? What does that mean? I think it's interesting (obviously), but surely it's not the best thing on the boards...?

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #113
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

I would think CarsLand because that has been in full swing and successful in DCA. Anything Star Wars might not come until later unless they have been planning this much longer than known by the public. But I do want to see SWs in the parks more than anything else right now.
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #114
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
So...apparently this is the Top Thread of the Month? What does that mean? I think it's interesting (obviously), but surely it's not the best thing on the boards...?
The top ten got gold ribbons. The top thread was on the trip report boards. They announced this new feature on dis unplugged podcast for feb6. I think this thread was number 4? I can't remember.

The top thread of the year will get a $500 gift card I think I heard...
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #115
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
My first thought with mention of your senses is that they are going to redo the Figment ride. Maybe restore it to the original.
OMG that would be my most favorite day ever if they announced that!!!

monorailrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #116
DisneyFF1124
Mouseketeer

The OP states a big announcement in the coming weeks. Just how many weeks are we talking about? Seems like the "coming" weeks have come and gone!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DisneyFF1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #117
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFF1124
The OP states a big announcement in the coming weeks. Just how many weeks are we talking about? Seems like the "coming" weeks have come and gone!

In this case..."coming weeks" means 2,641 weeks
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #118
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFF1124 View Post

Wasn't the Big Announcement the Pirates Interactive Game in Adventureland? There can't be anything else coming to the Magic Kingdom at this point.

This announcement seems to fit the bill.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #119
Theaberdeenkid
Mouseketeer

Seriously i have been watching this thread for a month for pirates!
I guess imagining is far juicer than reality.
Theaberdeenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #120
CelticHattress
Earning My Ears

New to the boards but my sister and I just returned from a trip to the world in mid-January. Two things stick out in my mind about new/upcoming events they might be announcing: when we were in the Magic Kingdom on our final Friday, I overheard a mother telling her children that she was waiting for the one year anniversary of the Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom game. It was sometime in February. She was telling them that there was suppose to be a whole new set released on that day to collect.

Also, on our last trip to Downtown, I was able to purchase a new jacket they had just put out. It was a jacket for the Mad T Party concert they hold at Disneyland. Being a huge Hatter fan, I had to buy it but my sister brought up a good point. Why would they sell a jacket at Disney World for an event only held at Disneyland??

Again, new here, so not sure if these ideas have been discussed and/or dismissed. Just thought I would share!

~Celtic~
CelticHattress is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: