Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #31
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

Here's what DH and I did (no kids):
We didn't do any tastings when we went on our first cruise in September but everyone is right, the time from getting on board to the muster drill goes quick. We had a #6 boarding number so we were on by noon. We ate lunch, went and switched our Palo reservation to a different night, (when I booked online it was all that was left and it wasn't the night I wanted, Andrew on the Wonder switched it for us with no problems.) Then we did the spa open house and entered the raffle. By that time it was time for our DIS meet-up. After the muster drill we made a run for deck 10 for the sail away party.

Looking back I know I had to take care of business but I wish I would have parked myself by quiet cove with a pina colada and just chilled out. Since it was our first cruise we wanted to experience a lot of what Disney had to offer us and it took us about 3 days to realize we would wear ourselves out on going to one event after another and that we just had to choose 2-3 things a day that appealed to us.

Belated Honeymoon at Disneyland October 2011
Disney Wonder California Coast Sept 2012
Disneyland Sept 2012
Disneyland Sept 2013 with Sam's DF, DSM, and DB's 11, 8, and 5
SamandWill1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #32
aesalsa
I'm the one with the hunka hunka burnin love Hubby

What are "Tastings"?

These are great tips! We embark this Sunday, the 10th, on our first cruise ever on the DREAM. We are going with another family, and our daughters are 6 and 7.

What are the "tastings"? This is the first time that I've heard about this.

Feeling overwhelmed and excited!

aesalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #33
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesalsa
They offer tasting sessions for : Wine, Beer, Champagne, Tequila/Margarita, Cognac, Chocolate... I'm sure I'm forgetting some. $15-30 per person, bookable at Guest Services once you get onboard.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #34
aesalsa
I'm the one with the hunka hunka burnin love Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
They offer tasting sessions for : Wine, Beer, Champagne, Tequila/Margarita, Cognac, Chocolate... I'm sure I'm forgetting some. $15-30 per person, bookable at Guest Services once you get onboard.

Thanks you! I am guessing that the children can go to the Oceaneer's Club/Lab while the parents enjoy this?

aesalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #35
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesalsa View Post
Thanks you! I am guessing that the children can go to the Oceaneer's Club/Lab while the parents enjoy this?

Indeed! (If FULLY potty-independent.)
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #36
Melissa&Shawn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron

Chocolate tastings??????!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #37
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa&Shawn View Post
Chocolate tastings??????!!!!
Not sure if they do them on the regular cruises, but there was one on the EBPC and I'm hoping they do it again on the WBPC!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #38
dee slack
DIS Veteran

not sure if your cruise has a 'Tea with......' but if it does, you need to go to GS to get a reservation.
If you are taking a photo mat or pillowcase to sign, take that to GS as soon as poss.
Again, not sure if all cruises offer this, but a tour around the ship is usually on the first afternoon.

Disney Vow Renewal Wedding Pavilion Dec 13th 2007
Visited EVERY Disney park on the planet!!

Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer & Canada 05/02 *Florida 12/02*tour of Italy 05/03 *Kenya safari 12/03 *US S'west states 05/04 *Dubai 12/04 *China & HK 05/05 *Barbados & Royal Clipper 12/05 *Sth Africa, Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 05/06 *India 12/ 06 *Iceland 05/07 *Florida 12/07 (VR) & 10/10* Baltic Cruise 05/11*Tanzania safari 12/11 * tour of Turkey 05/12* Japan tour & TDR 10/12* DCL EBTA 5/13 * HKDL, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand & Singapore 04/14 * Norway 5/14
dee slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #39
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

We go eat, then pool, have a celebratory drink and relax!

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #40
manhattanman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldluvsbama View Post
We will be going on our first cruise on the Dream April 21st. We got a PAT of 11-11:30. We have a 6 year old and a 8 year old. Any advice as to what to do first when we get on the ship?
Definitely pack swimsuits into a carry on, change in your room then head to the pools. This is where I differ with conventional wisdom, I say pass on the aqua duck, for now. We tried to ride it the first day ( early boarding around 130, at the duck around 2) and the wait was long, about 20 minutes. We had an excursion in the afternoon in Nassau, so we had the whole morning and could ride the duck at will, literally one to two minute waits and its generally warmer there anywhere. I think we rode it 5 times in 20 minutes.

It seemed that the lineup for the duck was never longer than when we first boarded.
manhattanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #41
manhattanman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesalsa View Post
These are great tips! We embark this Sunday, the 10th, on our first cruise ever on the DREAM. We are going with another family, and our daughters are 6 and 7.

Feeling overwhelmed and excited!

They are not booze fests and are quasi educational. We did the champagne one, it was four glasses and about 35-45 minutes in pink. It was pretty light in terms of attendance, like 12 people or so. The times change, ours was at 12:15 on the last day. Definitely worth it in my opinion.
manhattanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #42
stitch68
Earning My Ears

I don't have kids.....but the 1st thing my mom & I do......is eat lunch!

on the Magic & Wonder, we ususally hit Parrot Cay.....but buffet upstairs would be a good choice too.
stitch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #43
My2Angels
Mickey Moms Club member

We are only on the 3 day cruise. Should we sign kids in the clubs first before the pool? Also when do they do the Bon Voyage party and fireworks? We don't want to miss it!

Dream 2014, YC CL 2013, Dream 2012, Poly 2012, BWI 2012, POR 2012, BC 2011, Poly 2010, POR 2010, Swan 2009, POR 2009, POR 2008, AsSP 2007, CR 2007
My2Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #44
blurbs
Earning My Ears

On our first 3-night Dream cruise we were on by noon. We had a quick bite at Cabanas, changed into swimwear and rode the Aquaduck (no line!) and then we did the Mid Ship Detective Agency game which was awesome because we learned almost the entire ship by looking for the clues!
blurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #45
superrach
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BusyPlanning View Post
Another person from Memphis!
So, you go directly to Palo to make a reservation? I thought I read somewhere that you go to one of the clubs. Makes more sense to go to Palo though.
Hi Lydia!! How cool to see another Memphian on here! I went to Palo to make the reservation but that was when we were on the Fantasy. Could be different on the Dream so good idea to ask first.

As far as the tastings go, the guest services can tell you what is offered cause it can differ with each cruise. We did the mixology one last July on the Fantasy and it was a blast! It's a group of about 15-20 adults in a bar with a bartender hosting it. The bartender is what makes the experience good or not. This one was $15 a person and the bartender took us through 5 drink recipes. We took turns making drinks for each other and it was just a fun 45 minute class type experience. Fun to try out new drinks and not have to pay a whole lot for them. From what I see on the Navigators typically each cruise will have at least 4 classes offered of either a mixology, martini, beer, whiskey, cognac, or margarita. Mostly offered on sea days.
Disney Dream 4 nt. Bahamas, June 2013
Disney Fantasy 7nt. Eastern Caribbean, June 2012
WDW POP, December 2011
WDW ASM, December 2010
superrach is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: