Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #31
Laketravis
FP is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way.. which one's Pink?
 
Laketravis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Well played...

But i have a hard time biting my tongue (i know...shocking)...when the "any news on the discounts?" posts show up.

I try hard though.

I would remind everyone that old CMB a few years back stood up at the investors podium and swore up and down that discounting would be cut back...and i for one hope that he actually kept his word.

Its seems like a concerted effort to do so...and its better for the parks and the guests as a whole.
Two of the worst periods to visit WDW was the Credit Madness of 2005-2008 to be immediately followed by the "Slash and Burn" of 2008-2010.
It was just a real stinker of an experience...and i know its not popular...but the heavy discounts were a big part of it.
IF only because the dining plan was almost standard - and they used it to shield some cheapskate, quality busting measures with it.

But also there were abnormal crowd levels at strange times...a little too much stress on the infrastructure because they were slashing costs while packing in guests at reduced rates.
Not a "magical" experience...indeed.

I'm all for the traditional discounts...flordia res, CM, early fall and late spring promotions...but glad that many of these "discount" rumors have been falling short for a couple of years now.

Economics aside - which is disappointing to many - it really does cheapen the product and damage it longterm.

Then Iger's comments during this week's earnings report might make you feel better:

Iger said price hikes at Disney's parks are possible as it continues to roll out new attractions.

"We've got some price leverage," he said. "If you build the right things not only will people come but you get some leverage out of it as well."
Laketravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #32
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000 View Post
I can't believe someone would say this and believe it !!!


Teachers in NJ with with shore houses
Most work summer job ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

NJEA does NOT make the RULES ! The STATE of NJ does .....
Ummm.... in Cherry Hill, yes they do. Believe it. Many are close to 6 figures, plus a spouse's income. They do very well and don't work summers.
Some might, but around here it's not the majority.

My SIL lives in Lindenwold and is friends with a couple who are both teachers there. They can't afford a shore home but they do rent for an extended time (more than the 1 week per summer my hospital allows) and they don't work extra over the summer.

I didn't say the NJEA makes the rules but they are advocates for the teachers and would stand behind them. There would be a revolution for sure.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #33
gonedisneycrazy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Ummm.... in Cherry Hill, yes they do. Believe it. Many are close to 6 figures, plus a spouse's income. They do very well and don't work summers.
Some might, but around here it's not the majority.

My SIL lives in Lindenwold and is friends with a couple who are both teachers there. They can't afford a shore home but they do rent for an extended time (more than the 1 week per summer my hospital allows) and they don't work extra over the summer.

I didn't say the NJEA makes the rules but they are advocates for the teachers and would stand behind them. There would be a revolution for sure.

I agree with you. My mother is a retired teacher and she made 6 figures for over 25 years in NJ. NJEA is one of the strongest groups in the country. She didn't work summers and spent 90% of the summer traveling.
gonedisneycrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #34
taylor3297
DIS Veteran
 
taylor3297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 3,959

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonedisneycrazy View Post
I agree with you. My mother is a retired teacher and she made 6 figures for over 25 years in NJ. NJEA is one of the strongest groups in the country. She didn't work summers and spent 90% of the summer traveling.
I know not all teachers make the same in each state ( I taught for 20 years and when I left I was only making $42,000 a year) Anyway, the time I was not working in the summer, I was not paid for that time off. My contract stated that I work 200 days a year. 185 days with kids and 15 workdays. Any other days I was off (Christmas Break) I was not paid for those either.

As to is there a deal coming, I would love a minor deal in October. We are doing a DCL trip then a few days in the park. I am not asking for much, 10% would be nice.
__________________
taylor3297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #35
mickey2000
Pin trader
 
mickey2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,484

My neighbor is a teacher in South Jersey,
He has worked 35 years and makes 74,000 (pretty good)
Not close to the 6 figures ......
I agree their benefits are very good along with their pension and health care!
JMO LOL
__________________
TIME SPENT WITH DISNEY ( Totals 376 days 343 nts)

[
][/URL]][/URL][

Last edited by mickey2000; 02-06-2013 at 07:43 PM.
mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #36
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
I know not all teachers make the same in each state ( I taught for 20 years and when I left I was only making $42,000 a year) Anyway, the time I was not working in the summer, I was not paid for that time off. My contract stated that I work 200 days a year. 185 days with kids and 15 workdays. Any other days I was off (Christmas Break) I was not paid for those either.

As to is there a deal coming, I would love a minor deal in October. We are doing a DCL trip then a few days in the park. I am not asking for much, 10% would be nice.
Yes, salaries vary a lot throughout the country. AFAIK, our teachers can spread their annual salary out to 26 paychecks per year like most jobs pay, so they get a biweekly check.
Yes, pros & cons to every job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000 View Post
Here is what close to six figures is in Cherry Hill NJ


Average Salary of Jobs with Related Titles

In USD as of Feb 6, 2013

Piano Teaching in Cherry Hill, NJ
$49,000
Instrumental Music Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$54,000
Elementary Math Tutor Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$52,000
Tutor Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$55,000
Tutoring Teaching in Cherry Hill, NJ
$55,000
Music Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$75,000
Substitute Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$24,000
Elementary Math Tutoring Teaching in Cherry Hill, NJ
$52,000
Reading Tutor Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$53,000
Sat Reading Tutor Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$51,000
Writing Tutor Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$52,000
Sat Math Tutor Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$52,000
Prealgebra Tutor Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$52,000
ESL Esol Tutor Teacher in Cherry Hill, NJ
$52,00


My neighbor is a teacher in South Jersey,
He has worked 35 years and makes 74,000 (pretty good)
Not close to the 6 figures ......
I agree their benefits are very good along with their pension and health care!
JMO LOL
Assuming teachers return a week early and stay a week after kids get done that's 8 weeks off in summer, 1+ week @ Christmas & 1 week at Easter. Plus National holidays. My hospital would consider that part time.

Is this the chart you're referring to? How do you define average? the middle of the chart? My boys never had a teacher with less than 15 yrs experience. Even with the lowest amount of education, that's pretty good for PT hours. Well, we do get to leave 1 hr early on Christmas Eve w/o having to use vac time. They're so generous.

http://www.cherryhill.k12.nj.us/depa...ry%20Guide.pdf
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #37
thornton0511
DIS Veteran
 
thornton0511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: east texas
Posts: 843

We have been to Disney twice now, the first time no discount, stayed off site. The second stayed on site with the 25% off moderate. That's it. This year we are renting DVC points, paying full price for dining and tickets. We have still managed to find a way to go for what will be three times in the last three years and with really no huge Disney discount. It can be done without depending so much on Disney to hand out a discount, you just have to be creative and find a way to tweak it
__________________
TR in Progress: Summertime and Disneyland...Oo-De-Lally!! Dec 2012 TR: Jingle Bells...AKL...Disney for 10 Whole Days
Jenn(Me) DH DS(12) DD(8)
2011 Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2012 CBR 2013 POP/AKL 2014 Disneyland
thornton0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #38
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,617

For the record, I've never said our teachers weren't deserving of it. My kids have had great teachers over the years. I appreciate what they do & let them know often.

Sorry again to hijack this thread. Back to Disney deals.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #39
Hayliesmom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 188

I believe that maybe everyone deserves to experience Disney magic at least once in their life. I took my mom and my daughter the last week of September 2012. It was the first time for all of us. I did get the free dining plan and would have not been able to afford the dining otherwise (and probably would have had to shorten our trip). It helped provide so many extra experiences that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

We are planning to go again the first week of March 2014. I'm really, really hoping for another free dining deal then. If there's not one I am planning on paying out of pocket for the plan (benefit of planning way ahead of time I guess) but we have friends that want to go and they may not be able to afford the dining plan if not free (or some other major discount).

So I'm sorry if the product has gone downhill but I appreciate Disney trying to make sure everyone has a chance to come.
Hayliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #40
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayliesmom View Post
I believe that maybe everyone deserves to experience Disney magic at least once in their life. I took my mom and my daughter the last week of September 2012. It was the first time for all of us. I did get the free dining plan and would have not been able to afford the dining otherwise (and probably would have had to shorten our trip). It helped provide so many extra experiences that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

We are planning to go again the first week of March 2014. I'm really, really hoping for another free dining deal then. If there's not one I am planning on paying out of pocket for the plan (benefit of planning way ahead of time I guess) but we have friends that want to go and they may not be able to afford the dining plan if not free (or some other major discount).

So I'm sorry if the product has gone downhill but I appreciate Disney trying to make sure everyone has a chance to come.
I'm glad you enjoy your travel and use the incentives to your benefit...you are not the person i'm thinking of when i advocate against the steep discounts...

but the first sentence, with all due respect, is completely wrong.

All people do not "deserve" disney and they have never hinted that it should be the case.
Disney trips were always exclusive...the lower brackets were not walking into disneyland in 1955 nor were they into orlando in 1971. They have never considered "affordability" in their pricing structure except in the very depressed of times (and there haven't really been many).
The prices are based on what the maximum is that the market will bear and for profit.

So while idealistically - i agree - it would be cool if everybody got to go...it just has never been the way it is or Disney's goal.

Florida residents know this better than most...as when they are desperate, they cut good deals on rooms and tickets to supplement a bad period...
But the minute things pick back up, they drop them back to minimal levels and don't want them around. Has always been that way. And even the "discounts" are far too rich for many if not most of the average joe.

I've seen this from both sides of the nametag
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #41
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,327

Just a couple of things about the teacher issues...since they've hijacked a little.

First, to my friend in North Carolina...

Its not that you "aren't paid" for 160 days a year...it's that your annual salary is paid over a 9 month period (or whatever the academic year as 99% of all school districts in the country do.) If you take your biweekly or bimonthly pay amount and multiply it out by 26/24....the number is much higher than 42,000...or whatever it was.

Second...those Cherry Hill salaries are the average STARTING salaries. I live right next door, trust me...that is a probably intentional misprint. The NJEA does that on occasion for its own purposes...particulary in recent years in their public battle with Christie.

And third, if you're really curious...the asbury park press publishes all salaries of public employees (state, local, county, cops, firefighters and teachers) on their website. Its public information in this state. The data is usually about 2 years behind.
But to the "beach house" argument...the wayne school district, for example, had 159 instructional staff with a salary in excess of $100,000. Not to mention administrators at upwards of $125,000 each.


so yeah, some are high off the hog...but that can't be generalized for everyone.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #42
mm1971
DIS Veteran
 
mm1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
That's the other side of the coin...and there is always one.

But i think the "buy 4, get 3", "kids stay for free", and "free dining, free dining, free dining" has actually eroded the quality - by design. As in it has allowed management to quietly reduce services or quality...or been an excuse "See? we had too!" when they've needed to justify reductions. They had an opening and they have used it - as they always do. Who cares if you give a couple years of discounts if you lock in savings on quality for the next 3 decades?

Reductions at WDW tend to be permanent - not temporary. Once the cut is made, probably unrealistic to see it back.

I'll give you an example: seafood.

WDW used to have fantastic seafood...not only quality, but variety...
lately, i've seen grouper, mussels, and the three most dreaded words in the english language "LOCH DART SALMON"

not that those things aren't good...but it'd be nice to see a little more swordfish, maybe some cobia, striped bass, oysters, prawns, and heaven forbid - conch (which is basically only found within 300 miles of Florida on Earth)...etc. etc.

My point is that dining plan was part of the discounts...dining plan allowed streamlining and cost cutting on the menus....therefore discounts share some blame.

I know that's not a good argument debate wise...but luckily this isnt' a formal debate
Sounds like we agree in most of our views. I got your back in the debate.

With the way the raw costs of food is skyrocketing it was just a matter of time until the offerings eroded somewhat. The dining plan certainly helped that along. If you think the prices are high on your grocery bill, imagine feeding a million people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
we went in march and august of 2012...

and i gotta be honest: it was not crowded either time. It seems almost "under crowded"

We're going in may coming up...flights are still relatively inexpensive...i had a load of DVC choices under the 7 month window...and i can book almost anywhere to eat at this very moment.

I know they have put up small percentage gains for attendance figures at the parks...but the rubber doesn't seem to be meeting the road over the recent 1-2 years.
Most of the percentage gains from what I read in the details are in part due to increased attendance during the big events like F&W, holidays and smaller increases in the off seasons. Even though it still seems slower in March, early May and late August, the numbers are still up slightly. We got a really good price for flights in August that allowed me to book completely on SW points. Not paying for flights.......priceless.
__________________
(Jim) (W) (DS13) (DD11)
DD# 714



mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #43
mm1971
DIS Veteran
 
mm1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I'm glad you enjoy your travel and use the incentives to your benefit...you are not the person i'm thinking of when i advocate against the steep discounts...

but the first sentence, with all due respect, is completely wrong.

All people do not "deserve" disney and they have never hinted that it should be the case.
Disney trips were always exclusive...the lower brackets were not walking into disneyland in 1955 nor were they into orlando in 1971. They have never considered "affordability" in their pricing structure except in the very depressed of times (and there haven't really been many).
The prices are based on what the maximum is that the market will bear and for profit.

So while idealistically - i agree - it would be cool if everybody got to go...it just has never been the way it is or Disney's goal.

Florida residents know this better than most...as when they are desperate, they cut good deals on rooms and tickets to supplement a bad period...
But the minute things pick back up, they drop them back to minimal levels and don't want them around. Has always been that way. And even the "discounts" are far too rich for many if not most of the average joe.

I've seen this from both sides of the nametag
Amen. Disney is theme park, vacation destination. No one "deserves" a specific vacation. Not trying to be snarky to the poster, but deserve is a word of entitlement.

In my opinion, it would be awesome if every child in the world had the opportunity to go to Disney at least once. Reality is that this will never happen and was never the intention. We work really hard to be able to afford this type of vacation, discounts or not. There are plenty of less expensive vacations for those that cannot afford the Disney price tag (Believe me, I have taken most of them while struggling to get where I am now). We believe and have taught our children that we "deserve" what we earn.
__________________
(Jim) (W) (DS13) (DD11)
DD# 714



mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #44
lazer
Mouseketeer
 
lazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 439

This thread just reminded me how much we used to love October. Booked October last year and I was actually disappointed when free dining came out for the weeks we were there. It was way crowded to the point on our last day we walked to the magic kingdom gates, and turned immediately around and went back to the hotel. Trying November again this year (did that about 3 years ago).
lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #45
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran
 
diamondpixienc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,456

Now, I get that some people may need the discount to afford a trip to the world and there is nothing wrong with that. But, alot of people are fortunate to afford it regardless and may feel like I do: "Why should I pay full price for the same thing if I can get the same package and apply a discount or coupon to get a percentage off? I mean who doesn't like to save a dollar to keep more of their blessings in their pocket?
__________________
ME DH DS(11) DD(9) DD(4)

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.