Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Thumbs up A rabbi, a priest, and a pastor board the Wonder: we're back!

........well they don't really board the Wonder that I know of but wanted to include a rabbi in the title. See this trip is for my son Joshua; it's his bar mitzvah gift and while we're still in the infancy of planning stages I am a total sucker for trip reports. I read a ton, post on many, and write a few. They seriously make me so happy. I truly love reading about and sharing everyone's trips. I'm Jenny and I'm a trip report junkie.

and for reading.

For my current trip report on our trip to WDW in October 2012, click here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3003243 There is a ToC in the fourth post on the first page.

If you want some holiday/GCV Disneyland fun, this is my trip report from November 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2839173

We love us some Disney parks!

A little history......as I mentioned this trip is DS's (Joshua) bar mitzvah gift. The tradition of getting a huge gift vs the big traditional bat/bar mitzvah party began with our oldest DD Gabby. We were planning on having a big party, similar to a wedding reception, I kid you not, when me, Gab, and DH realized there had to be a better way. At least a better way for our family. The minute the guy at the reception center brought out linens for us to choose from, we were outtie! We're a pretty laid back family as far as pomp and circumstance go. Nothing wrong with being formal but it just doesn't fit us. So we went against the grain, brainstormed, and collectively decided that a trip was feasible instead of a big party. Gabby would still do her service of becoming a bat mitzvah, we'd still host a kiddush luncheon followed by a more intimate dinner the same night but the shin dig was OFF. Best decision we ever made . Gabby chose a week in So Cal with me and her best friend. We flew from SLC, rented a convertible blue Mustang, and enjoyed the heck out of So Cal. Beaches, shopping, and one day at Disney for the girls. It was fantastic!

Rewind to last May when it was time for Chloe's bat mitzvah. She also decided to do a trip but as a budding chef she wanted to go to WDW during the Food and Wine Festival. Because Gab had done a trip, Chloe knew she wanted a trip so we started planning about a year before. Chloe wanted to sleep in a Treehouse and near the animals so we did an 11 night split stay between the THV and AKV savanah view at Disneyworld. Oh and we had to try a night at AoA on arrival night. Chloe also got to bring her best friend but Chloe decided she wanted all 5 of us to go. Who am I to say no? So while Chloe's trip seemed much bigger than Gabby's, it doubled as a family vacation. We enjoyed the F&W Festival as well as MNSSHP. Our good friends also joined us for part of the trip. Again, another excellent bat mitzvah trip was had.

Forward to today.......Joshua's bar mitzvah will be this October. I'm certifiable for doing three in a row. If there are any Jewish mothers out there, you totally know what I'm talking about. For you non Jewish mothers, compare it to planning 3 weddings in a row. Crazy with a bold and capital c!

Joshua asked for either Disneyland over the winter holidays or a Disney Cruise. We were totally leaning towards Disneyland as it would be the whole family but Joshua kept going back to the cruise. I started pricing both and neither looked good even with using our DVC points at the GCV. I'd have to borrow into 2014's UY which isn't a huge issue but it was something to consider. A Disney cruise over the holiday is terribly expensive even for the 3 day cruises which in all honesty didn't appeal to me as it's so expensive to get from SLC to Florida.

I began looking for January cruises. Then I recalled that this October was less than successful in regards to the girls making up school work. Even with emailing before and reminding their teachers up until our trip, it turned into a headache for all involved parties. The girls missing school is no longer a option.

Joshua kept going back to the cruise.....

Privately, DH suggested that I take Joshua on a Disney Cruise. DH is not a cruise fan. At all. I however think it sounds amazing. I worried about how the girls would feel but also knew it was a very viable option.

We went to Joshua to get his input not sure how'd he feel about leaving his dad and older sisters behind. We were met with a HECK YEAH! He has zero issues with it. Love him.

The girls knew we had been tossing around Disneyland Dec 2013 for his trip and were elated.

We sat them down explaining all of the issues in terms they'd grasp and you know what? They were fine with it. I'd be lying if I said they weren't a little disappointed but it didn't last long. I am sure they will be envious once cruise time arrives but for now neither want to miss school and deal with that stress. They're both very grateful for their bat mitzvah trips and realize this is Joshua's trip. Good kids.

Wow, that's a long backstory.....

If you haven't clicked on the links, you're probably ready to put some faces to names.

Joshua last October. He loves his Yeti hat from WDW:

Self portrait of us while waiting for MSEP in WDW:

Joshua waiting for the parade:

Me in Epcot:

Pool party at AKV:

Joshua and I are buddies. He's the kid who's always willing to wait with me for hours to nab that prime parade or fireworks spot, always willing to share a meal with me, and always up for a pool day or two! This cruise is going to be awesome.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Last edited by rentayenta; 04-07-2014 at 07:47 PM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
rentayenta

Last edited by rentayenta; 01-03-2014 at 08:04 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I'm here

You and Josh will have SO much fun and you know what the beauty is? If you end up loving it you can rebook a placeholder on board and save quite a bit of change and someday when it works take the whole gang.

I just love that picture of Josh in his Yeti hat. Heck, I could eat him up he's so darn cute. The E's will be more than happy to weigh in on their thoughts, do's/don't etc.

What category did you end up booking?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
rentayenta

Cruise Details.....

5-Night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Wonder - Itinerary C
Sails January 19, 2014
Ship Disney Wonder
Stateroom: Room #7622
Category 07A - Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Navigator's Verandah View: Private verandah with nautical touches and a large open-air porthole in the solid white wall above the railing. Here's a photo of the Navigator's Verandah. How flipping cool is this:

What exactly is Itinerary C?

Day Port Guest Ashore Guest Onboard
1 Miami, Florida -- 4:00 p.m.
2 At Sea -- --
3 Cozumel, Mexico 7:30 a.m. 5:45 p.m.
4 At Sea -- --
5 Castaway Cay 8:30 a.m. 4:45 p.m.
6 Miami, Florida 7:30 a.m. --

I'm in the process of researching all things Disney Cruise. I'm literally starting from scratch.

Thanks again for reading.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'm here

You and Josh will have SO much fun and you know what the beauty is? If you end up loving it you can rebook a placeholder on board and save quite a bit of change and someday when it works take the whole gang.

I just love that picture of Josh in his Yeti hat. Heck, I could eat him up he's so darn cute. The E's will be more than happy to weigh in on their thoughts, do's/don't etc.

What category did you end up booking?

Yay!!! I'm glad you're here. I'm totally booking on board. I didn't realize until you told me that you can rebook indefinitely. Thank you for all of the info you've shared with me.

I'd love the E's thoughts. It'll be interesting to see what Joshua does with the kid's club options if anything.

Posted above is our room, category etc...I have nothing to compare it to and reading all about cruises almost makes me more confused though I have to say, the Cruise board has some very sweet, helpful folks. I heart the DIS.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Yay, I also love a good PTR! This is going to be great
Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
Yay, I also love a good PTR! This is going to be great

and I had to do something to cheer myself up so why not a pre trip report? I see your first cruise is coming up soon. The Fantasy looks amazing! Hope you share the details.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Yay!!! I'm glad you're here. I'm totally booking on board. I didn't realize until you told me that you can rebook indefinitely. Thank you for all of the info you've shared with me.

I'd love the E's thoughts. It'll be interesting to see what Joshua does with the kid's club options if anything.

Posted above is our room, category etc...I have nothing to compare it to and reading all about cruises almost makes me more confused though I have to say, the Cruise board has some very sweet, helpful folks. I heart the DIS.
7A is cool, we'd never fit as they are 3 tops I think but perfect for you and Josh!

Yes, I have a dummy booking right now that I realized yesterday won't work as I've learned more about HS stuff, it would conflict with Evan's schedule, he'd have to be back for marching band before then. The Med may get released on Monday according to the rumor mill but I'm pretty fearful that what I want, in the limited dates I'll have to work with, will be affordable.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Signing in; with dramamine in hand. Looks great so far.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
7A is cool, we'd never fit as they are 3 tops I think but perfect for you and Josh!
It looks super cool but I wish I could find a photo or info on the exact room. I found some generic and older reviews on Cruise Critic but I'd love something more recent.

Yeah, I figured with just two of us, we'll be great in there. I really debated between the full verandah and this one but I think he'll love this. I showed him pics and he chose this. I also thought about the porthole too. Port holes are just so nautical and we love that.

Quote:
Yes, I have a dummy booking right now that I realized yesterday won't work as I've learned more about HS stuff, it would conflict with Evan's schedule, he'd have to be back for marching band before then. The Med may get released on Monday according to the rumor mill but I'm pretty fearful that what I want, in the limited dates I'll have to work with, will be affordable.

Is this your August booking? What's going on with the kids' schedules? How limited are you?

ETA: read your mini update. Holy plans! But France for K? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Signing in; with dramamine in hand. Looks great so far.

Dramamine and all Glad you're here. You get seasick? I hope we don't. I hadn't thought about that. We have a boat and have never been sick. Guess I better Dramamine that to my packing list.

Of course I've started a packing and tips list already.

Last edited by rentayenta; 02-06-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Quote:
and I had to do something to cheer myself up so why not a pre trip report? I see your first cruise is coming up soon. The Fantasy looks amazing! Hope you share the details.
Jenny, I've thought about doing a PTR, but I spend way too much time on the DIS already, I can't imagine how much more time I'd spend here if I had my own stuff to write . That and I'm not the prolific write that some of you gals and guys are.

The coles notes of our trip go like this. We are cruising for the 1st time so like you I'm on here looking for all the info I can gather. Our boys know that we are going on this cruise and they are very excited. What they don't know is that we are going to WDW a week before the cruise and are staying in a 1 bedroom at BWV. We've been to WDW 3 times but we've never stayed on site! So this is a dream trip for us, or as DH likes to remind me "a once in a lifetime trip". I hope he sees how wonderful it all is and he wants to book on board

So I know how exciting it is to plan your 1st cruise, and I'm thrilled for you and your Josh!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Oh good! I've still made the first page. No way you and Josh will be bored! Check out Bingo. It was fun as heck! I'm sure there are a ton of things the two of you will enjoy for your days at sea. CC will be a blast and I'm sure you will find a fun excursion in Cozumel.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

I just saw the link in your signature and jumped on over. Would you believe I have the same cruise booked! What fun

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
dvc at last !
DVC Member 2006!

Yeah !

I am in...

You are really rockin' with the Club 33 trip
and the Wonder Cruise - love it !
'12-AKL~ '12-OKW~'13-OKW~'13-BCV~'14-OKW~
dvc at last ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
It looks super cool but I wish I could find a photo or info on the exact room. I found some generic and older reviews on Cruise Critic but I'd love something more recent.

Yeah, I figured with just two of us, we'll be great in there. I really debated between the full verandah and this one but I think he'll love this. I showed him pics and he chose this. I also thought about the porthole too. Port holes are just so nautical and we love that.
I have pictures of our room, the room should be the same, it's just the verandah that's different. I'll see what I can dig up.

Quote:
Is this your August booking? What's going on with the kids' schedules? How limited are you?
Yeah, 8/23/14. Looking at it I think we need to be back in town NLT than about the 18th at the latest. School doesn't historically get out till the 3rd week of June, later if we have snow days. So that gives us 6 weeks to work with, although there are scout and church camps I won't have dates for yet and it's all prime $$ season. BLEH.

Bonine, I think it works better than Dramamine. Personal opinion.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: