Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #2521
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mademluc View Post
If you were going to do one table service meal at BC/YC which restaurant would you choose? You can compare apples to oranges, if the best hamburger is better than the best lobster than the hamburger joint wins. Also, would you do dinner or lunch. I know this is subjective, but I love other peoples opinions!!!
My vote for one TS Meal at the resort is the Cape May Cafe Clambake. My family loves seafood, and there is plenty to go around at this dinner- the crab legs, mussels, clams are great, there is usually a fried seafood item on a rotating schedule- calamari, fried fish, shrimp?

The non-seafood stuff is good too and the salads and chowders are yummy. Not that icky red chowder, either, the real milk-based stuff (Sorry, I'm not from your neighborhood)

If seafood doesn't do it for you, then the Captain's Grille is my backup suggestion. Not really outstanding theming, but the food is good and I think on the low to moderate price scale for Disney. It's a hidden jewel.

I have reviews to some restaurants lined to page 1, but I don't think I have included mine, so I am off to add those now.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #2522
Karebear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Me three! Well, depending on the definition of central NJ. I'm at the tippy top of Somerset County so according to many HS sports and music stuff we're central. Apologies to the -ness of the above statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
Then we must be very close! I'm in Somerset County just a few miles from the Morris County border. I never know whether to say central or north Jersey here. I feel like either one I use is wrong to someone.
Another Somerset County person here--I grew up in Basking Ridge. I am in CA now and people think that I am crazy, but I miss NJ

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #2523
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear View Post
Another Somerset County person here--I grew up in Basking Ridge. I am in CA now and people think that I am crazy, but I miss NJ
NJ is so different from CA. I'm not sure I'd miss it all that much, but I was Florida born and raised. I work in Basking Ridge (although on leave with the kids now) and live right next door in Bernardsville.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #2524
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Big River Grille is pretty good, but if you want awesome food and really good beer, you should try Raglan Road at DTD.
Good selection of beer at Raglan Road but outrageously overpriced. A 22 oz Arrogant ******* that costs $4.99 at Whole Foods is $18 at Raglan Road.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #2525
mademluc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear View Post
Yup, I'm the town next door. It's amazing that a not very populated (relatively speaking) part of NJ is so well represented not only on the disboard but in the YC/BC thread! Of course you miss NJ, the world thinks that it's all Jersey Shore, Real Housewives of NJ, Jerseylicious, etc but we know what it's really like in the beautiful Somerset Hills...

Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #2526
mademluc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
My vote for one TS Meal at the resort is the Cape May Cafe Clambake. My family loves seafood, and there is plenty to go around at this dinner- the crab legs, mussels, clams are great, there is usually a fried seafood item on a rotating schedule- calamari, fried fish, shrimp?

The non-seafood stuff is good too and the salads and chowders are yummy. Not that icky red chowder, either, the real milk-based stuff (Sorry, I'm not from your neighborhood)

If seafood doesn't do it for you, then the Captain's Grille is my backup suggestion. Not really outstanding theming, but the food is good and I think on the low to moderate price scale for Disney. It's a hidden jewel.

I have reviews to some restaurants lined to page 1, but I don't think I have included mine, so I am off to add those now.

Hope that helps!
It helps quite a lot! And really, in your heart of hearts, you know there's space in the world for two chowders

Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #2527
nannette
Hmm... dislikes Trolls the kind with green hair and big eyes wearing Mickey ears!!

Now now "Nate" the red chowda isn't bad (icky)... just not as good as the real milk-based stuff!!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #2528
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It helps quite a lot! And really, in your heart of hearts, you know there's space in the world for two chowders
I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree.

I thought I could be open-minded when I ordered the following on a trip to Puerto Rico last year. The waitress warned me "It's tomato based"

Here's a little portion about the encounter from my trip report

Caribbean Seafood and Yucca Chowder with Cilantro Oil, $14

The chowder was ok. I should have listened to the waitress. My New England prejudice may be rearing its ugly head, but seafood chowder NEEDS a cream base. And skip the tomatoes. It just aint right!

ETA- Ok OK, not icky.

I worked for a seafood restaurant, The Weathervane based in Maine/NH. When we opened a couple of restaurants in NY, I went out to train the staff. What fun I had when I served the guests milk based chowder. They were all like "What's this???"

Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #2529
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Another to you!

Let us know if you end up booking at the Yacht or Beach.

Thanks! I've never stayed anywhere but Pop Century and if I'm going to be running 13.1 miles on this trip I want nice linens and a hot tub, lol! So deluxe it is! I love everything about the Yacht and Beach Club, but the lack of cabanas at EPCOT resorts is a bummer. Our other option is the Grand Floridian. However, we also have an epic night planned at Jellyrolls after the half and it's much easier to stumble home to the EPCOT resorts than having to grab a cab to go back to GFlo. It's still up in the air but hopefully we'll decide really soon!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #2530
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mademluc

Okay, then we're in the same town or neighboring towns. I know what you mean about how to describe it - North Jersey, in people's minds, is Bergen, Union, Essex...but central should be Mercer, Monmouth, etc. Wow, this must be fascinating reading to non-NJers. So, obligatory BC/YC topic:
If you were going to do one table service meal at BC/YC which restaurant would you choose? You can compare apples to oranges, if the best hamburger is better than the best lobster than the hamburger joint wins. Also, would you do dinner or lunch. I know this is subjective, but I love other peoples opinions!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma

Hope that helps!

I vote for Cape May too! It's my husband's only request for the whole trip. We also had a nice dinner at Captain's Grille if you want something a little more quiet that is not a buffet. I'm with you on the chowder too, Dee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaS
Add me to the list.

Bob, Teena, Jeanne and Princess Lily - BC CL - August 5-9

We will be in Disney then too. But, we will be at AKV then, and move to BCV that Sunday or Monday. My girls are hoping to see you and trade pins again. They met you in December and you told them all about the mystery pin. My daughters wanted to see you the next day to trade for the mystery pin, but they were ill. Hopefully, they can trade with you in August.

Last edited by 333disneymom; 02-06-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #2531
logpey
Disney or bust!

Wink Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinDaisyDuck View Post
Thanks! I've never stayed anywhere but Pop Century and if I'm going to be running 13.1 miles on this trip I want nice linens and a hot tub, lol! So deluxe it is! I love everything about the Yacht and Beach Club, but the lack of cabanas at EPCOT resorts is a bummer. Our other option is the Grand Floridian. However, we also have an epic night planned at Jellyrolls after the half and it's much easier to stumble home to the EPCOT resorts than having to grab a cab to go back to GFlo. It's still up in the air but hopefully we'll decide really soon!
We're staying at the Beach Club CL for our first time & my first Princess Half, it just seems like an easier location for that particular week. I never ever thought I would leave the Polynesian but hubby requested we try something different & since we'll be back at WDW in June, I figured he was right!!!

Is Jellyroll's fun, My hubby & I have never been to any night clubs or dance places at the Boardwalk, just restaurants with kids. We thought about one night strolling over to one while my (15, 13)teenage kids chilled at room. Not sure though, we've never done this before, but considering it isn't very far--might be an option.
2004 May/WL
2007 July S/D
2010 July/Aug/POLY CL
2011 July/POLY CL
2012 Mar/Aulani
2012 Sept/POR 2013 Feb/BCR CL 2013 OCT POR 2014 July/DCL
http://s809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/logpey/ https://picasaweb.google.com/1069180...eat=directlink
Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=43064690#post43064690
Dawn's Blog:http://dawnsdorkydiary.wordpress.com Disney podcast- http://mousequestpodcast.com/subscribe/
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #2532
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?

Just an FYI to one of the questions a few pages back, Contemporary Resort also has cabanas. I wish SAB would get them but then it would probably take up too much room and no one would like losing that seating space.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #2533
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by logpey

We're staying at the Beach Club CL for our first time & my first Princess Half, it just seems like an easier location for that particular week. I never ever thought I would leave the Polynesian but hubby requested we try something different & since we'll be back at WDW in June, I figured he was right!!!

Is Jellyroll's fun, My hubby & I have never been to any night clubs or dance places at the Boardwalk, just restaurants with kids. We thought about one night strolling over to one while my (15, 13)teenage kids chilled at room. Not sure though, we've never done this before, but considering it isn't very far--might be an option.
Jellyroll's is a blast!! My oldest son goes there every time we go now that he is over 21. We've been twice (DH & myself). I'd definitely go again.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #2534
DancinDaisyDuck
Nothing left for me to do but dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by logpey View Post

You will LOVE Jellyrolls! And if you go before 9 p.m. there's no cover, which is $12 per person. If you want a table, go early because the place gets crowded. It's a blast!

Good luck running your half!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #2535
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Hello everyone! My family and I just returned from an 8 day stay at POR and DH said next trip absolutely HAD to be at BC/YC! We typically go in late July/early Aug and I can't wait to book. I think we would probably prefer to do CL wherever we decide.

I've read a lot of this thread and everyone seems so welcoming and friendly here--I love it!

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: