Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #31
Jockaroo
Can the Tag Fairy see a photo of your Scottish Terriers?
I still like corn in my apple crisp!

Hi. I haven't posted for ages, but have faced diet modifications due to migraines. My doctor recommended following a low tyramine diet. I have found that this helps. I know every person has different triggers, but study the tyramine diet if you haven't.

The idea behind the diet is that tyramine is produced with the breakdown of an amino acid called tyrosine. As foods age, tyramine builds. People with migraines may not handle tyramine-ladden foods well. The key is to eat fresh. You mentioned being concerned about dairy and especially cheeses. Aged cheeses are super-high in tyramine. It seems that the body can handle some levels of tyramine, but there is a tipping point and when that point is crossed--migraines happen.

I find that by eating as fresh as I can, avoiding all but fresh cheeses, avoiding nitrates and sulfites, limiting soy and MSG it has helped. And I feel better in general. I've found that the MSG thing is the hardest--this additive masquerades under nearly 30 names. And eating fresh means avoiding over-rippened fruits, leftover meats over 48 hours old, not just cheddar and blue cheeses. You will have to prepare most of your meals at home. I would not advise making a big batch of mashed potatoes and eating them over several days as the tyramine levels will rise making the food risky to you.

I found these links very helpful when researching the diet my doctor recommended:
http://www.nmh.org/ccurl/504/151/Low...ne-diet-08.pdf
This file gives info on high tyramine foods, but is written for people taking MAOI inhibitors (tyramines interact with the medications and can shoot the blood pressure up to dangerous levels).

This file is also helpful identifying foods that may be risky:
www.headaches.org/pdf/Diet.pdf

Good luck. Finding the triggers can take a very long time. I don't eat frozen prepared foods, canned soups, or processed meats (but do eat very small amounts of uncured bacon and a locally produced fresh sausage). And many snack foods are out. I've found pretzels and a few brands of corn chips and salsas satisfy my chip cravings. I do have to avoid eating out frequently and tend to frequent local places that prepare food fresh or are willing to modify my meal.
Jockaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #32
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

I went Gluten Free first of Nov.
Migraines- gone.
Joint pain- MUCH better (not totally gone).
Acid reflux- gone.
Eczema - gone.

Good luck. It's been a God send for me.

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #33
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz4mm2 View Post
I went Gluten Free first of Nov.
Migraines- gone.
Joint pain- MUCH better (not totally gone).
Acid reflux- gone.
Eczema - gone.

Good luck. It's been a God send for me.
I have to fully admit that I am very jealous of you...lol. I went gluten free in July because of a wheat allergy (I am also dairy free, soy free, plus many other things...) and we have made NO progress with my headaches, joint pain, fatigue, eczema, reflux, GI pain, etc. I so wanted gluten free to be the miracle fix it seems to be for so many other people
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #34
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
I have to fully admit that I am very jealous of you...lol. I went gluten free in July because of a wheat allergy (I am also dairy free, soy free, plus many other things...) and we have made NO progress with my headaches, joint pain, fatigue, eczema, reflux, GI pain, etc. I so wanted gluten free to be the miracle fix it seems to be for so many other people
My family gave up all meat, fish, dairy and eggs about 5 months ago. My daughter's chronic eczema since birth (she's 14) cleared up completely within a month.

We are all new people, health wise.

Also, are you sure you completely eliminated all traces of dairy in every single food? I recently read about a woman who gave up dairy for eczema but still was eating foods with traces of diary like cookies or breads etc. It wasn't until she eliminated every single trace of milk ingredients that the eczema cleared up. In other words, just not drinking milk or eating cheese is not enough.

Last edited by LSmith; 02-06-2013 at 03:05 PM.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Quote:
Sorry

I have to admit, that I REALLY didn't think it would have this affect. A friend convinced me to try for ONE MONTH. I really did it to see if my joint pain would improve. I didn't dream I would have these results.
I know it is not the answer for all, but sure was for me.

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #36
Chikabowa
DIS Veteran

I follow whole30/paleo and have kept consistent for 18 months.

I eat no grains of any kind, no sugar, no artificial sweeteners, no legumes (with the exception of occasional snap peas), no alcohol, no dairy, no corn, no MSG, and no soy/soy-based products.

There isn't a whole foods near by and even in shopping there I find very little that I can actually use (and the mark up on the other items I can get anywhere else is significant). Trader Joes also has very little.

I buy my grass fed beef from a local butcher and will often buy locker packs.
Otherwise I do almost 100% of my shopping at Costco and pick up a few specific items at local grocery stores (small quantity type items).

Our food bill has actually stabilized, but not gone up. We don't eat out nearly as much as we used to, we don't waste money on snacks, but cook more at home and pack our food on outings.

I've had amazing results on my health. Those that I know who have gone this route have also had amazon results. Once you get used to it and break the cycle of a processed diet it really is simple, filling (no portion measuring or calorie counting!), and satisfying. I simply don't crave anything anymore because the food I eat really satisfies.

Chikabowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #37
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
My family gave up all meat, fish, dairy and eggs about 5 months ago. My daughter's chronic eczema since birth (she's 14) cleared up completely within a month.

We are all new people, health wise.

Also, are you sure you completely eliminated all traces of dairy in every single food? I recently read about a woman who gave up dairy for eczema but still was eating foods with traces of diary like cookies or breads etc. It wasn't until she eliminated every single trace of milk ingredients that the eczema cleared up. In other words, just not drinking milk or eating cheese is not enough.
Yep. All dairy. We are pretty sure I am allergic (haven't been tested recently but since eliminating dairy I no longer have allergy symptoms after eating) so I'm very cautious about it. Everything I've eliminated is because of allergies so no traces of anything. I can't give up meat or fish. tried and I ended up even worse of because I wasn't getting enough nutrition. Since I am so limited in my diet, meat and fish is essential for me.

I am on immunosuppresents for my eczema (have been on them for about 4 1/2 years) and I still flare up and have chronic eczema even with that treatment. I had hoped diet would help but were not sure where we can go from here without causing some nutrition issues (I already don't absorb B12 so that's a concern as well).
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #38
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yep. All dairy. We are pretty sure I am allergic (haven't been tested recently but since eliminating dairy I no longer have allergy symptoms after eating) so I'm very cautious about it. Everything I've eliminated is because of allergies so no traces of anything. I can't give up meat or fish. tried and I ended up even worse of because I wasn't getting enough nutrition. Since I am so limited in my diet, meat and fish is essential for me.

I am on immunosuppresents for my eczema (have been on them for about 4 1/2 years) and I still flare up and have chronic eczema even with that treatment. I had hoped diet would help but were not sure where we can go from here without causing some nutrition issues (I already don't absorb B12 so that's a concern as well).
Well that really sucks. Sorry about that. My daughter has been virtually cured of it.

Have you ever watched Forks Over Knives on Netflix? It's very eye opening about the food we consume. Another really good documentary is Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead about people whose autoimmune diseases are completely suppressed on a plant based diet.

Another good source is http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html. Very good site that might help. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #39
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well that really sucks. Sorry about that. My daughter has been virtually cured of it.

Have you ever watched Forks Over Knives on Netflix? It's very eye opening about the food we consume. Another really good documentary is Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead about people whose autoimmune diseases are completely suppressed on a plant based diet.

Another good source is http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html. Very good site that might help. Good luck!
My doctors discussed a plant based diet but decided its not feasible. I can't have raw fruits or raw vegetables. I also cannot have soy. I can't have nuts, sesame, oats or coconut.

My meals are very heavily fruit and veggie based (cooked of course) but because of my OAS I can't tolerate large amounts of even cooked fruits or vegetables.

It's all so complicated...lol
Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My doctors discussed a plant based diet but decided its not feasible. I can't have raw fruits or raw vegetables. I also cannot have soy. I can't have nuts, sesame, oats or coconut.

My meals are very heavily fruit and veggie based (cooked of course) but because of my OAS I can't tolerate large amounts of even cooked fruits or vegetables.

It's all so complicated...lol
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. That's got to be very frustrating.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #41
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. That's got to be very frustrating.
I do really appreciate your suggestions! I hope I didn't sound like I didn't appreciate your help. I would give a lot of the same suggestions you did because i know they have worked for other people. I think it all has great merit even if it hasn't worked for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #42
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I do really appreciate your suggestions! I hope I didn't sound like I didn't appreciate your help. I would give a lot of the same suggestions you did because i know they have worked for other people. I think it all has great merit even if it hasn't worked for me.
Oh not at all.

I don't want to sound preachy about our new lifestyle diet but it has done wonders for us so I feel the need to try to help others.

I've come to realize that it is so important to put the right food in your body. For us, the plant based diet seems to be the Holy Grail. I do wonder though if one of my sons is gluten intolerant. I have to experiment with that next, which will be a pain the butt.

I wish you and everyone success on finding the right balance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: