Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

If people are upset about this, they're looking for something to be upset about.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
If people are upset about this, they're looking for something to be upset about.
I agree
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Honestly, the things people can see in other things is beyond me. Sexist? Really? no.. Ugly? YES!

I bet if they took the tie out there would be a group of women screaming that they where ties and are offended that people consider it men's wear....
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
I also wanted to add that it also appears exclusionary in the type of business it seems to want to attract. It appears to be seeking "white collar" business and jobs. One of the best businesses that I have helped to land here involves manufacturing.

ETA: This logo is for a public-private entity, Enterprise Florida, that is the State's Economic Development Agency not a logo for the state itself. I also think it's too "cutesy" for the importance of this agency.
I think it *is* going for a white-collar image -- and my first guess for what kind is probably related to investment banking. However, heavy industry is seen as less desirable than high-tech. I read Florida Trend, and based on those articles, the image is irrelevant, because what the state is REALLY hoping to attract more of is STEM research and medical manufacturers. I guess that the "I" really should look more like a scalpel to reflect that?

To me, the necktie is supposed to imply "working" rather than leisure, as the antithesis of the tourist ideal. I don't attach a gender to it at all, but then, I got my first full-time job in the 1980's, and working women wore neckties fairly often back then if we didn't go in for the floppy bows.

IME, the people working in Florida who seem most likely to be wearing neckties are attorneys, and waiters of both genders. (DH & I once had lunch near the Volusia County courthouse after he had a hearing there, and that was the case with the neckties: the lack of them made it easily possible to tell the attorneys from the plainclothes police officers in the crowd.)
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

For crying out loud! Do people really have nothing better to do with their lives than hunt for things to be offended by? The whole issue is laughable and I can't believe I just wasted five minutes reacting to it!
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Oh for crying out loud. People will read into it whatever they want. Hey business women if you feel it excludes you- go out and buy yourself some ties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
People are seriously upset over that? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
No it is not sexist. It's is about business. A tie is business attire. That's all. People certainly seem to look to get their panties in a twist about anything these days.
Good lord I cannot believe people actually take time to find offense in things such as this. If people devoted this time to actually doing some good in this world vs. looking for things to ***** about - it would be a much happier world...
Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
superme80
DIS Veteran

I see nothing offensive aobut this at all. Lacking imagination and a waste of money? Yes.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #23
doxdogy
Owned by doxies!
I remember the day I turned into my parents

Seriously? .
doxdogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #24
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Sexist? Not even remotely.

I SWEAR though, at first glance I thought the "i" was an upside down exclamation point...so i thought it was some kind of Spanish reference.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #25
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post

Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

The implication that it's sexist is sexist. Who says women can't wear ties? And can you imagine the outry if they had used pantyhose instead?
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #27
plutotek
DIS Veteran

And there are female business leaders on both sides of the "debate". I saw this and laughed because I have friends that would be offended by this if they weren't too busy tilting at other windmills.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #28
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

For Florida I would think girls in bikinis on the beach would be the best approach.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #29
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Yes. There are better ways to convey the message that are not exclusionary. I wonder if any women were involved in the decision making process. Given the good 'ole boy system that still exists in this state I am going to guess no.
Hmmm, if I were involved in the decision making process, I would have embraced it! I can't think of another symbol (that would fit into that logo, lol) that denotes "business" more than a business tie.

Don't have a problem with it whatsoever.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
For Florida I would think girls in bikinis on the beach would be the best approach.
LOL! Now THAT I'd have a problem with.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife, #16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, #28 Little Bee, #29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train, #34 Big Little Lies, #35 The Good Girl, #36 The Girl with All the Gifts, #37 Outlander, #38 Lucid, #39 You, #40 Dragonfly in Amber

Currently reading: #41 Voyager

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: