Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
DebbieOBX
Mouseketeer

Disney Pins..

I have never bought any, but im wondering. Are they sometimes valuable? How do you find out there value?

thanks
DebbieOBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
DebbieOBX
Mouseketeer

Im seeing lots of 50 pins shipped free on ebay, for about 2.00 How can they be real disney pins?

thanks
DebbieOBX is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieOBX View Post
Im seeing lots of 50 pins shipped free on ebay, for about 2.00 How can they be real disney pins?

thanks
I believe many of them are knock-offs. We, unfortunately, purchased one of those before I investigated it. We were in DTD and they had a bunch of pin traders outside one evening. We were looking at their books and one of the traders spied a pin on DD's lanyard that she swore was very limited and ended up trading DD about 5 of their pins for this one. DD wasn't emotionally attached to it so she picked the ones she really liked and traded with the woman. We got back to the RV and I looked in the bag with the rest of the trading pins I had purchased and there were about 5 more of them. It was supposedly a run of only 750 pins. Oops. I only purchase from Disney now.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:

thanks
They are real Disney pins, but not pins that were sold to Disney for Disney to resell. They are perfectly good pins, that can be collected or traded at the parks or ships.

I've bought "lots" of pins on ebay, but never for 4¢ each. I bet the $2.00 price is the current bid not the final sale price. If you can get a "lot" of pins for 40¢ to 50¢ each, that is a fair deal.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:

thanks
Those are scrapper pins that were made by the companies who make the authentic Disney pins, but are flawed in some way and were suppose to be destroyed. If you compared them to the actual approved pins, you would be able to see where a color is wrong or something is off about the design. Here's an article that explains about them. It tells you how you can identify a bad pin.

http://www.mousemagicblog.com/2011/0...sney-pins.html

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
They are real Disney pins, but not pins that were sold to Disney for Disney to resell. They are perfectly good pins, that can be collected or traded at the parks or ships.

I've bought "lots" of pins on ebay, but never for 4¢ each. I bet the $2.00 price is the current bid not the final sale price. If you can get a "lot" of pins for 40¢ to 50¢ each, that is a fair deal.

Mike
They're scrappers. Not necessarily fakes, but not good enough to be sold at disney.

Personally I would rather pay a bit more for my pins and not have a fake or a scrapper.

To the op: If you go to the disney collectors board on here there is a thread all about pin trading, and has a list of good/bad ebay sellers. I don't think its completely up to date, as I listed one the other day who I think is really good and I have been buying from for quite a while. I get a genuine set of 7 pins generally for around $9.99 or slightly over, this includes free international postage to England. These come in correct packaging, cellophane, price on rear and the pins themselves don't show any signs of being anything other than genuine.
Ladyshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
They're scrappers. Not necessarily fakes, but not good enough to be sold at disney.

Personally I would rather pay a bit more for my pins and not have a fake or a scrapper.
As a Disney stockholder I am glad you are willing to pay a "bit more." Can you define a "bit more" for me?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have never bought any, but im wondering. Are they sometimes valuable? How do you find out there value?

thanks
i buy ones that catch my eye or remind me of a trip or cruise. outside of the odd truly limited edition or such, they aren’t “valuable” other then a memory. you might see the odd pin on ebay as a rarity for tens or hundreds of dollars, but doubting they sell for that and they don’t really appreciate in value. the “value” is what someone is willing to pay - at the parks/ship they sell for 8-16 each i would guestimate.

fun souvenir and fun to trade ofr ones that you might like!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:

thanks
I don't consider myself a pin collector but when I cruise I do like to purchase a pin or two as a reminder of my cruise. I usually check ebay once in a while to see what the selling price is but they are pin collector books that may provide more details.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:

thanks
These are scrapper pins, called this because they are pins that were manufactured for Disney but they were not approved by Disney so they were supposed to be "scrapped". Someone goes through the trash or takes the scrappers and sells them to another party who then sells them on eBay for pennies. Or the molds are scrapped because the run is complete and the molds get taken to secondary factories and they use the molds to run more of the pins, again, scrappers so not "real" Disney pins.

Quote:

Mike
^ That is horrible advice.

OP please use the link in my signature to the current (and being updated to a new thread) thread on eBay and pins, I recommend reading the first 5-10 pages and then the last 10 pages to see information on good pin sellers on eBay, where you can get authentic (approved by Disney) pins at decent prices, not 4 cents a pin but I can regularly get authentic pins for trading for about $2 per pin.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
SupernaturalMommy
Mouseketeer

Pixiewings is right. That is horrible advice.

I am working on the updated thread. It is taking time as there are 133 pages of posts to go through. But, when I am done, we will have a new up to date thread.

$2.00 per pin plus shipping is a very reasonable price. You can get new on card pins for that price. A lot of pins can be bought at DISNEY outlets for much less so people can sell them for that price without losing money. Also, a lot of people have pins they want to get rid of for whatever reason and know they won't be able to sell them for much more than that because of the scrapper sellers, so they settle for that price to recoup some of their original investment without having to go through the trouble of listing individually. New on card pin lots used to sell for much more but the economy is tough so prices have dropped, except on LE's and such.
SupernaturalMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
These are scrapper pins, called this because they are pins that were manufactured for Disney but they were not approved by Disney so they were supposed to be "scrapped". Someone goes through the trash or takes the scrappers and sells them to another party who then sells them on eBay for pennies. Or the molds are scrapped because the run is complete and the molds get taken to secondary factories and they use the molds to run more of the pins, again, scrappers so not "real" Disney pins.

^ That is horrible advice.

OP please use the link in my signature to the current (and being updated to a new thread) thread on eBay and pins, I recommend reading the first 5-10 pages and then the last 10 pages to see information on good pin sellers on eBay, where you can get authentic (approved by Disney) pins at decent prices, not 4 cents a pin but I can regularly get authentic pins for trading for about $2 per pin.
I beg your pardon, but it is perfectly good advice! There is nothing wrong with buying a big lot of Disney pins on ebay to trade. It is done all of the time; that is if you want to save money. However, if money is no object, go ahead and pay outrageous prices for pins you are going to trade away.

Most of the lots of pins I have purchased on ebay, I have traded away. However, several of them I have liked, so I've kept.

Mike
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
I beg your pardon, but it is perfectly good advice! There is nothing wrong with buying a big lot of Disney pins on ebay to trade. It is done all of the time; that is if you want to save money. However, if money is no object, go ahead and pay outrageous prices for pins you are going to trade away.

Most of the lots of pins I have purchased on ebay, I have traded away. However, several of them I have liked, so I've kept.

Mike
No, your advice was to pay 50 cents per pin and that is absolutely terrible advice. At that price you will be getting scrappers. I trade 100% authentic pins and I pay no more than $2 per pin, with shipping included. Money is always an object and I do NOT pay outrageous prices for pins. BUT I do NOT trade fakes/scrappers whatever you chose to call them. I have no problems with buying pins from eBay, I DO have problems buying FAKE pins from eBay and trading them for authentic pins. But because it is so prevalent I draw the line at $2 for pins I will be trading. A little bit of reading on this forum will help anyone buy authentic pins from good sellers at decent prices. I'm sorry if you feel you gave good advice but unfortunately you did not.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
dmiller64152
Mouseketeer

I'm not going to spend a bunch of money for genuine pins that my son will trade with CMs for scrappers of characters he likes. He doesn't care whether they are real or not, Disney supposedly doesn't mind "scrapper-trading," so I think it all depends on your motivation. Bad move to buy a $5 pin to trade for a 50 cent one.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
BUT I do NOT trade fakes/scrappers whatever you chose to call them. I have no problems with buying pins from eBay, I DO have problems buying FAKE pins from eBay and trading them for authentic pins. But because it is so prevalent I draw the line at $2 for pins I will be trading. A little bit of reading on this forum will help anyone buy authentic pins from good sellers at decent prices. I'm sorry if you feel you gave good advice but unfortunately you did not.
I don't call them fake/scrappers, that is your term. I think it is elitist and insulting to insist that your pins are real and my pins are fake because you paid more for your pins than I did for mine.

Mike

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: