Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Julia Ann
DIS Veteran

airport parking vs hire car to UK airport

we have a small car and i don't think will fit our suitcases in for our trip ....not till 2015 but just looking at the prices...
we have usually done airport parking but with the prospect of still having the small car i'm wondering if anybody has hired cars to the airport instead of taking own car and parking up for 14 days....i can't remember airport parking prices now but i'm sure we paid around 100 quid but that might have been for overnight stay (manchester)

let me know your thoughts on this.
5th visit : Oct 2014 AoA DD first visit 4th visit :20th October 2006 - Quality Inn International I-Drive * 3rd visit : 24th August 2003 - Quality Inn International I-Drive * 2nd visit : 6th Oct 2001 - Kissimmee off 192 * 1st visit : 6th Oct 1995 - Somewhere off I4
Julia Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Ann View Post
we have a small car and i don't think will fit our suitcases in for our trip ....not till 2015 but just looking at the prices...
we have usually done airport parking but with the prospect of still having the small car i'm wondering if anybody has hired cars to the airport instead of taking own car and parking up for 14 days....i can't remember airport parking prices now but i'm sure we paid around 100 quid but that might have been for overnight stay (manchester)

let me know your thoughts on this.
How small is small? We got 4 medium suitcases, two lots of handluggage plus an extra piece of 'sneaked on' handluggage in my little Corsa and still had space for a bit of food shopping on the way home!! Mind you we didn't have a 7 year old in the back like you'll have!

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

A couple of years ago we had serious problems with our car a couple of days before we were due to fly to Orlando. We looked at the option of hiring a car to the airport and then, again, to drive home and the costs were absolutely phenomenal due to one-way charges. In the end, we went out and bought a new car the day before we flew (no that I'm suggesting you do that, it's a bit drastic just because your car's too small )

I am not sure what the costs might be but last year we got a taxi to and from the airport. It's just under 80 miles and the taxi cost us £160.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
penlanspice
Addicted 2 disney

We have hired a car a number of times when there has been 4 of us traveling, I think we usually book with europa cars as they have one way deals for the airport and we have always paid around £60 each way.

Our Dream Disney Wedding - September 19th 2006
WP-WH Room-Living seas - UK Lower
penlanspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Julia Ann
DIS Veteran

60 quid is not too bad - if we can get flights from birmingham (as we live in birmingham) then it will be a taxi but for October, history tells me, there aren't many direct flights, although we are looking at thomson and not virgin this time. At the moment we have a Hyundai 10i, the boot is tiny you wouldn't get 1 suitcase in it, never mind 3 - i guess we could buy a roof rack or borrow a box.
5th visit : Oct 2014 AoA DD first visit 4th visit :20th October 2006 - Quality Inn International I-Drive * 3rd visit : 24th August 2003 - Quality Inn International I-Drive * 2nd visit : 6th Oct 2001 - Kissimmee off 192 * 1st visit : 6th Oct 1995 - Somewhere off I4
Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Ann View Post
we have a Hyundai 10i, the boot is tiny you wouldn't get 1 suitcase in it, never mind 3 - i guess we could buy a roof rack or borrow a box.
Or leave the other half at home Hopefully you will get flights from Birmingham

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

If you live near Birmingham and want to fly from there I would get a taxi.We live near stourbridge and got a taxi to manchester cost £158 return.My brother gets a cab to BHX from stourport return cost him £80.
You could also get the train depending where you live(though probably not the best after a long flight with a child) from your local station as one goes from bhx new street to the airport.
There is always national express as well.We looked into hiring as our car had a few issues and it was £120 to hire it plus the parking so we decided on the taxi as it was the cheaper option.That was to manchester though.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Julia Ann
DIS Veteran

Yeah if we get birmingham flights then that's no problem, it will defo be a taxi. We did do coach once to manchester (never again) cramped, crowded and took ages. Taxi to Manchester is an option - thanks everybody.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Train from Brum to Manchester with short taxi rides at each end?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
WiganTony
DIS Veteran

When I was looking into a one way rental for our flight from Heathrow this year, I found Avis do a deal where the car is delivered to your home, and returned to the airport location, for around £45 one way (from Bolton).

However, I only came across this as I had what I thought was a good deal on-line which disappeared suddently. I called Avis and was told about this deal. May be worth looking into for your flight out, and getting a taxi back if you have an overnight flight. Have managed to find the web page for this deal here.

2014 July/August - RPR and OKW - again!!
2013 July/August - NY, LA and San Diego
2012 August - OKW
2011 August - No Disney NY and Boston
2010 July/August - RPR and OKW
2009 Easter - Springhill Suites LBV & Cruise
2008 August - Marriott Residence Seaworld.
2007 August - CBR/Marriott Clearwater/Springhill Suites LBV
2005 August - Comfort Suites Kissimmee
Longer than I care to remember - 3 lads and their car touring Florida!!
WiganTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Julia Ann
DIS Veteran

thanks a lot for that info WiganTony - defo wouldn't do the train or coach, it would have to be taxi or hire car.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
WiganTony
DIS Veteran

Just remembered that I have also seen a suggestion for someone travelling from the West Midlands to use Chiltern Railways and getting a taxi from the station at West or South Ruislip. May be worth considering for the journey back.

2014 July/August - RPR and OKW - again!!
2013 July/August - NY, LA and San Diego
2012 August - OKW
2011 August - No Disney NY and Boston
2010 July/August - RPR and OKW
2009 Easter - Springhill Suites LBV & Cruise
2008 August - Marriott Residence Seaworld.
2007 August - CBR/Marriott Clearwater/Springhill Suites LBV
2005 August - Comfort Suites Kissimmee
Longer than I care to remember - 3 lads and their car touring Florida!!
WiganTony is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: