Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #571
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky1997 View Post
The safari is called the Wanyama Safari and Dinner and luckily its ages 8 and up so we are good!

Thanks again so much!
As long as you don't mind spending around $800 for the family for the night, this is an awesome experience. I've done it a couple times. If you do this however, free dining isn't so good because one of your dinner credits can not be used for this meal at Jiko. You will have three days of free dining, but you will need to pay for this meal OOP (Out of pocket) so you'll be left with at least one meal credit to find a use for. If you eat at another signature restaurant during your stay you can use two of the meal credits for the other signature meal, but I'm not sure that you want to take your kids to two signature meals in three days.

Not trying to tell you how to spend your vacation, but just trying to help you out with some of the realities. WDW can be complicated, but if you do your homework and understand it, you can easily get the best value for what you want. It does take some research and knowledge of how your family uses their meals and likes to eat to know if and which dining plan works best for you. Also the ages of your kids may play into things. I believe one is considered an adult on the meal plan and one a kid. If you get free dining, I guess it doesn't matter, but realize that you need to pay full rack rate for the room as opposed to using a discount code.

Good luck! I just left a magical vacation at AKV, and can't wait until when we go back! I hope you find a good deal for your family.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #572
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky1997 View Post
Hi all!

I hope this is the right place for my questions so please let me know if I should post this on the general thread if its not the right place!

We (me, dh, dd (will be 9) & ds (will be 11)) are going on our first Disney cruise for Christmas this year and have decided to extend our stay after for WDW. We've only been to WDW once, in 2010, and we camped at FW so I have no knowledge whatsoever of the resorts. After doing an exhausting online search, I have fallen in love with AKL (which I'm assuming is the correct abbreviation for Animal Kingdom Lodge, which is different than the Animal Kingdom Villa right?) It's a bit more than I wanted to pay but welcome to WDW! Any way, I would love a Savannah view with the bunk beds (which I think is way cool that they have this option!), is it worth the extra money to, pay for this resort and the upgraded view when we are only going to be here for 3 nights? What is the safari like, is it a must do? I was thinking we could do this on arrival day since we will be coming straight from the ship. (Not sure we'd be up for the parks our first day off the ship so I'm hoping for a relaxing day at the resort.) Is it hard to get reservations for the safari?

Do I book directly on the disney site or through a travel agent? Do they offer discounts or am I too late for that (end of Dec. 2013).

Sorry for the novel! I'm a bit overwhelmed if you hadn't noticed already, lol! Thanks so much in advance for any help!! I really appreciate it!
...first of all, to our thread and please don't feel offended if no one answers your queries quickly ....personally, since you will be staying for only 3 nites, I think it's definitely worth it. However, your stay will be a little more afordable if you choose a pool view location instead, especially since you'll be requesting bunks, which add on to the cost....

Also, which safari are you referring?
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #573
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Good Morning Everyone, (caution i have changed resorts twice already for our adult only trip)

Bear in mind too that i much as i love Disney i love a budget. With that said when the Spring code came out i booked CSR business class for 25% off i think. Then i switched to BWI 30% off because we love Epcot. We also love the Poly but it is only 20% off.

I have stayed with the kids once in a standard view room at AKL. Love the resort. DOing the math if i can book bounce back at 35% while i am there in 3 days i could potentially get AKL club level for $106 more than my current price for BWI SV.

I am seriously thinking this would be perfect for an anniversary trip after ready reviews.

How do you feel about adult only trips here (esp club level)? We are celebrating an anniversary. If ou do the sunrise safari, where is the food from?

thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #574
FoursCompany
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone!
Joining in! I have been reading this thread and it's great. We are going to AKL the first week in June and are so excited!

One question - does AKL have a spa (for massages)? I couldn't seem to find info on that.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #575
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
Good Morning Everyone, (caution i have changed resorts twice already for our adult only trip)

Bear in mind too that i much as i love Disney i love a budget. With that said when the Spring code came out i booked CSR business class for 25% off i think. Then i switched to BWI 30% off because we love Epcot. We also love the Poly but it is only 20% off.

I have stayed with the kids once in a standard view room at AKL. Love the resort. DOing the math if i can book bounce back at 35% while i am there in 3 days i could potentially get AKL club level for $106 more than my current price for BWI SV.

I am seriously thinking this would be perfect for an anniversary trip after ready reviews.

How do you feel about adult only trips here (esp club level)? We are celebrating an anniversary. If ou do the sunrise safari, where is the food from?

thanks
An adult only trip at the AKL would be awesome. You can relax and enjoy the resort and all the perks of the Club Level.

The breakfast after the Sunrise Safari is served in the back room of Pizzafari. A WDW chef prepares the delicious food and will describe all the goodies on the table.

Kathy

Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #576
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoursCompany View Post
Hi everyone!
Joining in! I have been reading this thread and it's great. We are going to AKL the first week in June and are so excited!

One question - does AKL have a spa (for massages)? I couldn't seem to find info on that.
...didja ask Brandi to add you to the list?
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #577
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoursCompany
Hi everyone!

http://www.aklresort.com/content/zah...fitness-center

Yup. I've never used it though...
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #578
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels
Never used it either, but I looks wonderful!!!

My kid did use the exercise room & it was very nice!!!

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #579
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom

An adult only trip at the AKL would be awesome. You can relax and enjoy the resort and all the perks of the Club Level.

The breakfast after the Sunrise Safari is served in the back room of Pizzafari. A WDW chef prepares the delicious food and will describe all the goodies on the table.

Kathy
Thanks for the info. Does the buffet have any hot items?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #580
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Yes!

Here are some of things that I remember:

The best banana stuffed french toast, scrambled eggs, ham, bacon, fried eggs with green tomatoes, sausage, fried bananas and home fries.

It's a great buffet breakfast.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #581
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post
Yes!

Here are some of things that I remember:

The best banana stuffed french toast, scrambled eggs, ham, bacon, fried eggs with green tomatoes, sausage, fried bananas and home fries.

It's a great buffet breakfast.
That sounds delicious! How far in advance does this need to be booked? If you are staying on rented points does the owner need to call for you or can you just call the concierge #..? TIA!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #582
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
There is a TR on the DVC section where a woman and her family stayed CL at AK and did the Sunrise Safari. She has extensive pictures of the buffet and lots of pics of the lounge offerings. It's called 13 glorious days at Christmas. ..
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #583
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

I was going to try a massage when we were there in Jan but choked at the prices. $180 for a 50 min Swedish! I'm all for paying for quality but that left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm hoping that since we stayed during the switch from the old company (Nicky Bryant?) to wdw there was a miscommunication.

Heather

Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #584
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoursCompany View Post
Hi everyone!

Zahanati Spa and Fitness Center is located at Jambo House.

Way back in 2004 I had a facial and an aromatherapy massage. From what I remember, I enjoyed them both. At that time, I thought the price was consistent with other spas.

Kathy

Old 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #585
FoursCompany
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
...didja ask Brandi to add you to the list?
No, erm, do I do that here?

We are going from 6/1/13-6/9/13 and there are 4 of us. We're driving down from ATL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels View Post

Yup. I've never used it though...
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
I was going to try a massage when we were there in Jan but choked at the prices. $180 for a 50 min Swedish! I'm all for paying for quality but that left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm hoping that since we stayed during the switch from the old company (Nicky Bryant?) to wdw there was a miscommunication.

Heather
Yikes! I'll need to find out how much for certain...I'd kill to get a massage. I work constantly and need (strongly want) it! =)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: