Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
Lexxiefern
We were blown away
It will be nice to compare the 3

Thanks for the review!! Great pics! I am definitely getting one of those french toast with caramel sauce when I go back to DL - yum yum!!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #32
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan123 View Post
As if that wasn't enough, we still had our ADR at one of our favorite places, Cafe Orleans. I love the ambience of this cafe, and I love New Orleans Square. It is perhaps my favorite land (and something I really miss when I am in MK in Florida).

We were seated right away, and we knew what we wanted to eat, the pommes frites and the cheese monte cristo. We had decided in advance to split both. A year prior, we had split the fries, the sandwich and a house salad (which is delicious I might add), but it was too much food. So this year, we decided to ditch one of the choices and just split two...and the salad lost out.

Here they are:

This is the yummiest basket of fries ever! They have parmesan sprinkled on top and are served with a sort of remoulade sauce. We rate them better than the pommes frites we ate while en Bruges.

We then shared the sandwich:

Three-Cheese Monte Cristo - Swiss, mozzarella and Double Creme Brie fried in a light batter and served with Berry Puree dusted with Powdered Sugar

Whew! What a treat, but way too much. DP and I can each only manage one wedge of this every time we split it. I can't imagine eating the entire thing all alone. For anyone who thinks this dish sounds odd, the combination of sweet and savory is just wonderful. The berry puree has a rich, deep taste and compliments the sandwich nicely. I like to have some bites without the sauce, and some bites with. The grapes are always a nice relief. DP always comments, "I can't believe you're actually eating those grapes," simply because we are always so stuffed.

What is sad is that this monte cristo is like my dream dish. Did I mention I love cheese? But I don't think I can ever eat it again. We split one amongst four when we visited with my mom and sis last October, and even just the one wedge was just too much. My stomach just has a hard time handling this, and next time we go to Cafe Orleans, I think I may try just the salade de la maison (house salad) or the salmon sandwich.
One of my very favorite meals. Delish.
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #33
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiefern View Post
Thanks for the review!! Great pics! I am definitely getting one of those french toast with caramel sauce when I go back to DL - yum yum!!
It is a great breakfast! Hope you have a good time at Flo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwingleMum View Post
One of my very favorite meals. Delish.
I know it is good, isn't it? If only it wasn't so hard on me for some reason. The first couple of times I ate it did just fine.
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #34
DLFan123

Rancho del Zocalo Take Two

This evening, something very unusual happened...something that almost never happens...I was wrong and DP was right. She said we shouldn't eat at Rancho del Zocalo. She said I'd had too much already and would regret it...
After all the indulging we'd already done today, there was no way this was a good idea.

But I insisted and won out, unfortunately.

We arrived at Rancho del Zocalo and looked at the menu (we have it memorized so this was an unnecessary step). What DP did not know was that I was formulating a plan. We always always split the cheese enchiladas at this restaurant. Little did she know I had cooked up an idea that I should get the cheese enchiladas and she should order the veggie tacos. We'd never tried those before, and I was feeling curious. I was also feeling insane, fuelled by all of the uncharacteristic eating I'd already done on this vacation (with a good portion of that being on this particular day).

As usual, she conceded, knowing I'd have to learn this lesson myself.

She ordered the veggie tacos:

These were ok. I think the enchiladas are better, but I guess it depends what you're in the mood for. The rice had a little bit funny taste tonight, like it had been burned. As you can see, the portion size on this is huge too.

Here are my enchiladas:

Same as last time, very good, huge portion, but again like with DP's rice, this rice tasted a little funny.

And here I am, looking very very happy that I had gotten my way:

Or is that trepidation on my face?

Well, by now I'd realized this was way too much food for us, especially after what we'd eaten earlier. We ended up having to leave a lot of food on our plates, which was hard for me and left me feeling guilty. In spite of that, I still spent most of the night propped up in bed, eating antacids and complaining to DP that I felt like I was dying. How lucky am I? DP never even said "I told you so." If she was spiteful or even wanted to make a joke at my expense, she would have taken a picture so you all could see the before and after photos. But she didn't , and I survived to eat another day.

Tomorrow, starting out with a light breakfast until my belly gets warmed up again, then it's on to the Blue Bayou for an excellent lunch!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #35
FirstMagic
Mouseketeer

I am enjoying hearing about Disneyland food -- Looking forward to reading more. Thank you for your review and the pictures!
FirstMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #36
DLFan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstMagic View Post
I am enjoying hearing about Disneyland food -- Looking forward to reading more. Thank you for your review and the pictures!
You're welcome! Glad you are enjoying it and more to come when I can get this pesky thing called work over with for the day.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #37
superme80
DIS Veteran

Love your review! I am going to Disneyland in a matter of weeks! Can't wait to try all this yummy food! Can't wait to read more!
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #38
DLFan123

A Light Breakfast in DL

The next day, we were up early and headed back to the parks. I wanted to take it easy for breakfast because we had Blue Bayou coming up for lunch.

We stopped at a stand on Main Street to buy these:

These were actually really good. You can buy the large pack which has 3 or 4individual servings sizes inside. It was a nice, light, fruity way to stay the day. Very snacky.

After this, we picked up some popcorn and vitamin water before heading to one of our favorite shows.

This was good, just like Disney parks popcorn, nothing too special today but nice and fresh since it was so early in the day.

We arrived to the Big Thunder Ranch stage just in time to get a nice front-row seat for our favorite show.

We had a great time. Next up, a late lunch at Blue Bayou!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #39
Finkerfell
Mouseketeer

Love your reviews! It's so refreshing to see a SoCal dining review! Keep em coming!!
October 2010-Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2011-Port Orleans French Quarter
Sept 2012- Port Orleans Riverside
Sept 2013- Port Orleans French Quarter
Sept. 2014-Port Orleans French Quarter
Finkerfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #40
DLFan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by superme80 View Post
Love your review! I am going to Disneyland in a matter of weeks! Can't wait to try all this yummy food! Can't wait to read more!
I hope you have an excellent trip and enjoy all the great treats that the Disneyland Resort has to offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkerfell View Post
Love your reviews! It's so refreshing to see a SoCal dining review! Keep em coming!!
I'm glad you're enjoying it! More to come soon.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #41
DLFan123

Lunch at Blue Bayou

After an enjoyable day at DL, we were more than ready for our lunch at Blue Bayou! This is such a neat experience, and we highly recommend it to anyone who has the chance to try it. We had a reservation and arrived to the restaurant about 15 minutes early. We waited for a bit, because we had made the special request for a table by the water. They don't allow you to make that request in advance (or if they do they don't actually save one of those tables for you). After you arrive you just have to wait for the next one to empty. In our case on this particular day, it did take a little while, but we thought it was worth the wait.

We started the meal with the traditional basket of rolls they bring out.

These are fine. Nothing special, nothing wrong with them either. They are like a French bread roll, not a sweet roll and not sourdough.

For my beverage I ordered a mint julep!

Yum! That's right, you can get a mint julep as your beverage at BB, and then it is served with free refills. I vowed right then and there to drink this one, plus a second. Just to get my fill.

We odered our meals and were each served a house salad.

This was mine. It is served with candied pecans, bleu cheese, dried cranberries and grape tomatoes, all over mixed greens with a tangy citrus dressing.

I love this salad, but the last time I had it, the dressing was tossed in to the salad, and that was much better than this. This was just a little heavy on the dressing for me. It is so dark in this restaurant that I couldn't see just how much dressing there was in a giant glob in the middle of my salad! Otherwise I would have scraped some off. It was only later when we looked at our pictures that we realized.

This is DP's salad, the same as mine minus the bleu cheese. DP hates bleu cheese!

I guess there are some red onion slivers on top also. You can't see them on my salad because the dressing had drown them all out! I have noticed how popular onions are on the Disboards. I'm sure this salad can be modified and the onions excluded.

For my entree, I chose the crab cakes.

OMG these are delicious. Everything about this dish is perfect. The sauce underneath the crab cakes is very tasty, even the green beans are so yummy! I didn't want to leave a single bean behind. There is a good portion of the blue bayou potatoes underneath the crab cakes also, which you can't really see. These are my favorite potatoes! They are cheesy and creamy, but they have a little bite to them. I think it is horseradish. The only trouble with this meal is that it is a very large portion and there was no way I could eat all of this. I actually packed up a whole crab cake and carried it back to the hotel to finish later!

DP ordered the portabella macque choux.

This is normally served over couscous, but DP had requested the blue bayou potatoes instead. She initially wasn't brought either, but the waitress later took care of that for her. DP loved her meal. She says that the marinade is delicious. I managed a taste of her meal and I agree. The flavors are tangy and savory. All very good and a nice vegan option. This is also a large portion.

We were too full for dessert, but my meal wasn't complete without this.

My second mint julep!

All told, we loved this meal and love this restaurant. While it is worth waiting for a table by the water sometimes, it isn't necessary. We've had very lovely meals sitting farther back in the restaurant. It is also a little more well-lit the farther away from the water you get, which is nice if you like to see what you're eating. Still though, there is just something that can't be beat about seeing the Pirates of the Caribbean boats floating by, hearing the crickets and the banjo playing in the distance...

Last edited by DLFan123; 02-06-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #42
DLFan123

Breakfast at the Jolly Holiday Bakery Take Two

After our late lunch at Blue Bayou, we returned to our hotel. Later on that evening I ate my leftover crab cake, and DP and I both split the last of the cheese popcorn in the room. We snacked on fudge and skipped dinner altogether. It was nice to take it a little easier this evening.

The next day, we were up early for our last day at Disneyland.

I apologize for going astray, but here are some pictures from our last morning at DL.

Partners, the castle and some of the beautiful summer flowers.

We took a trip through Pinocchio's Daring Journey.

Look at him! He's got no strings! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

We hung out with this little guy by the castle.

We have seen lots of critters at DL over the years, but never a turtle until now!

Then it was time for breakfast on Main Street!

The Jolly Holiday Bakery was such a hit our first time that we wanted to indulge again!

We started by splitting this scone:

I should have asked what it was. It was their seasonal scone. It definitely had a citrus taste to it, perhaps some almond slivers baked in and then I think the little bits of fruit were dates. It was very yummy. DP is more into scones than I am, but this was probably the best scone I've ever had, and I'm not really a huge fan of citrus flavors in my pastries. I would not hesitate to order another scone at this bakery!

We also split this:

This was so good! Nice and moist and sweet. The combo of cheese and fruit was a nice spin, because one reason I never order danish is because I can never decide which to have, cheese or fruit! So this danish was perfect!

Our conclusion after dining here twice, the Jolly Holiday Bakery is a success! And a perfect spot to stop for a quick breakfast on Main Street!

Last edited by DLFan123; 02-08-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #43
DLFan123

Lunch at Carnation Cafe

Well sort of...

This was our last day at Disneyland, so after taking in a few more rides, we were ready for lunch. I was determined to eat at Carnation Cafe for one particular reason; I wanted a rep-eat of the best banana split I've ever had! We ate this the summer before and I had been dreaming of it ever since. We arrived at the restaurant and requested a table outside on the patio.

We were seated quickly in a nice shady spot. We then looked at the menu. I'm not sure why they did this, but they changed the menu and they no longer offer the banana split! and happened to me! I was so sad and stunned. DP tried to console me but I was basically inconsolable for a few moments. Finally we decided we'd better order something.

This is what we chose, the new fried pickles appetizer. It looks oddly similar to the fried pickles at sci-fi in WDW. These were ok. This was my first time eating fried pickles, and I guess I thought they'd be sliced in little rings like fried zuchini slices. For me, the breading was a little too crispy; it was abrasive to the inside of my mouth. It's never good when your food injures you. And I still wasn't getting my banana split...

Oh well. We didn't even order lunch, just split this measly portion of fried pickles spears and left. I was moping down Main Street when voila!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #44
DLFan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
I am in! Love, love, loved our trip to DL in 2010! I will drag myself away from WDW one of these years and go back!

We are meat eaters and Ralph Brennan's was our favorite meal on our trip. So much so that we went back a 2nd time. I do agree that it was pricey. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed!
I'm glad you are here reading along! I think our experience with our first server really set the tone for this meal, and that is probably part of why we enjoyed the food less than if it had gone off without a hitch. Also, it does sound like the meat items are the hits at this place! I still want to try the quick service for the dessert. It looks so good!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #45
DLFan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I'm glad to hear that the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich is good! It's on my list of things I want to try. I LOVE fried green tomatoes.

I might try to replicate it at home one of these days.
Sounds good. I've never tried to replicate any Disney food, but I know they have the recipes available for some items. Good luck! You'll have to let me know how it works out if you try to make it at home. I do think it's a great idea-fried green tomatoes in a sandwich!

When I was a kid, there was a seafood salad that they sold at the French Market that my entire family loved. My mom tried over and over to try to make that salad, but she just couldn't quite get the combo of textures and flavor of the dressing right. I can remember when we'd go to Disneyland, on our last day, my parents would order two of those salads to go and we'd keep them in our ice chest (since we had driven there, and this was before most hotel rooms had little fridges) and eat those salads as we drove home. Looking back it is a wonder somebody didn't get food borne illness...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: