Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
reddfrogg
Earning My Ears

I think he is just talking about his room key ( you can charge upto a certain amount depending on the resort level)
reddfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at Pop twice and love it. We've never thought about staying at anything but a value because why pay more to sleep? However, with the spring discount it made us look into a mod and we're looking into staying at POR this spring. I've seen pics and watched videos and POR looks amazing BUT boring for the kids. I'm all about making it more fun for the kids...hence one of the reasons we stay at the values. They're more disney themed compared to all the other resorts and the pools are more fun. I'm just going by my own experience at Pop and Movies and by looking at pics/videos of other resorts. It's a hard decision!
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=twinboysmom;47418421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post

Your room key, you know how you have charging privileges on your key right?
Uhhh...no! Had no idea! So you just use that to buy items and pay at the end of your stay?
Pop Century...3/2006!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
reddfrogg
Earning My Ears

Stay at POR

Your kids will love it!!!!! it's qwesome for the whole family!! and yes yo just pay at the end, it's only on the cards you choose to have this option. so the kids can't charge you up!!!
reddfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
alc571
DIS Veteran

I can only comment on POR. We stayed there in October and it was amazing. We took a drive to see the new AoA because we were originally going to stay there, and I'm so glad we didn't. PoR is a resort compared to AoA being a hotel. The grounds are amazing and tranquil. From what I understand, the rooms are larger - two sinks, queen beds. The queen beds alone won over double beds. We are staying at PoR again this year, and I don't think we will ever stay anywhere else. And the boat to DTD is so much fun. I think we used it 5-6 times.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
alc571
DIS Veteran

Also, there is tonnes to do at POR for kids - fishing, bike rentals, games in the pool all week long, pirate cruise, campfires, movies on the lawn... Our DS7 loved it. He's still talking about the pool slide!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
SarahKate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy
We've stayed at Pop twice and love it. We've never thought about staying at anything but a value because why pay more to sleep? However, with the spring discount it made us look into a mod and we're looking into staying at POR this spring. I've seen pics and watched videos and POR looks amazing BUT boring for the kids. I'm all about making it more fun for the kids...hence one of the reasons we stay at the values. They're more disney themed compared to all the other resorts and the pools are more fun. I'm just going by my own experience at Pop and Movies and by looking at pics/videos of other resorts. It's a hard decision!
Definitely NOT boring for the kids. POR has so much more to do than Pop. The pool is better and has a slide, hot tub, fishing, sea racers, the boat to DTD, you can rent bikes, and plus it has an arcade just like Pop. And then there are the campfires and movies outside. Plenty to do.

Don't equate the change in atmosphere to being boring. Definitely not. Love this resort!

We have stayed at POp 3x and last two times at POR. I will not return to values as long as I can help it. The few hundred extra bucks was well worth it to us.
SarahKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #23
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=SweetMissy;47418458]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post

Uhhh...no! Had no idea! So you just use that to buy items and pay at the end of your stay?
Well, every time we have been (and it's a lot) they have always taken a credit card and put it on file. They always have me sign something telling me how much my charging limit is and it does depend on the level of resort you stay at (which I agree is silly). I always make surer tell them no charging privileges for the boys because they otherwise will automatically out them on their cards as well. Seriously, we have logged over 30 visits and it's always been this way.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #24
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure I saw how long your trip is for, but I would go for Port Orleans Riverside. You'll need the extra space. Though I guess you are technically a family of 4 + baby (2 year old), I would request a room in the Alligator Bayou section so you have the option of using the pull-down bed for one of the kids. At Port Orleans, you'll get the extra sink and more storage space for suitcases, strollers, etc.

As far as stuff for kids, I'm sure they'll love having a water slide at their hotel

We just stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in December 2012, and are staying at Pop Century in April 2013. It's just two of us though and we're going for a short trip, though. I would go for the slightly larger room if I were you, no question.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #25
Angiea1114
Mouseketeer

Finally booked our POR vacation for April!! This was a last minute change from POP. My MIL was interested in staying at a different resort (we have stayed at all stars, CBR and POP in the past). From the bits and pieces I have read, I am concerned over what would be the most convenient areas to stay so that my in laws aren't walking miles to get to a bus stop or the main food area. They will be doing plenty of walking in the parks so making it easier at the hotel is important. I too, was also worried about the difference in atmosphere between POP and POR. Our kids are 17, 15, 12, and 5. The older two DD'S won't care as long as they have a pool, this is the 5yr old DS 1st trip so he won't know the difference but my 12 yr old DS may feel like it is too grown up for him. I will hope that the great pools they have at POR will make up for all the whimsy at POP!
Angiea1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #26
MichelleWDWfan
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at POP several times, and ASM once.
We did stay at POR last summer for 2 nights, to try out a Moderate.

Basically DS 17 & I are up at 6am every morning, not back to our resort until late evening. DS likes to go for a swim when we get back at night.

I can't see paying for a more expensive hotel, when all we do is sleep/shower.
It was nicer for sure...decor, grounds, main building, store, food court.
A woodsy feel to the grounds. You could walk the paths and not hear a sound at times.

I could tell the difference between a value and a moderate.
The bus area was nicer (at POR you are waiting for a bus under a covered area.) We also didn't have to walk as far to get the bus from the park to the resort. The POR bus was closer to the park.

I would rather pay for a value, seeing that we don't spend much time there, but if I get a good deal like free dining, next trip we might stay at a moderate longer.

Someday I would love to stay at AKL in a savanna room but it is so expensive to do so.

Me DS 19

March 2009 - AS Movies, March 2010 = POP, August 2010 - POP, March 2011 - POP,
Dec 2011 - POP (MVMCP), July 2012 - POR, March 2013 - POP, Sept 2013 - POP (MNSSHP),
March 2014 - POP, May 2014 Rock Your Disney Side! 24 hr event - POP
Oct. 2014 Split stays at AKL, AOA, & ASM
MichelleWDWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #27
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKate View Post
Definitely NOT boring for the kids. POR has so much more to do than Pop. The pool is better and has a slide, hot tub, fishing, sea racers, the boat to DTD, you can rent bikes, and plus it has an arcade just like Pop. And then there are the campfires and movies outside. Plenty to do.

Don't equate the change in atmosphere to being boring. Definitely not. Love this resort!

We have stayed at POp 3x and last two times at POR. I will not return to values as long as I can help it. The few hundred extra bucks was well worth it to us.
I didn't know how else to word it. Yes POR has a lot of things going on with the bike rentals, fishing, boat ride, etc. But Pop looks more fun for the kids because of the other sized characters/items. Pop has an outdoor movie now too which was cool because the 1st time we went they didn't do that. I think MY kids will have fun regardless, it's just an observation from the pics. I love the "in your face" theming of the values but POR looks beautiful.
Pop Century...3/2006!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #28
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=twinboysmom;47419535]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post

Well, every time we have been (and it's a lot) they have always taken a credit card and put it on file. They always have me sign something telling me how much my charging limit is and it does depend on the level of resort you stay at (which I agree is silly). I always make surer tell them no charging privileges for the boys because they otherwise will automatically out them on their cards as well. Seriously, we have logged over 30 visits and it's always been this way.
Hmmm very cool! I really like that and kind of ticked I didn't know before, lol.
Pop Century...3/2006!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #29
pegrad1
Earning My Ears

Honestly, we started our booking at AoA & ultimately ended up switching to POR . There were a few deciding factors in the change to our rez.
One, bigger bed size. Given that it will be myself & my kids, 20 & 16 I didn't want to squeeze into a full size bed with anyone! I want to make sure I sleep comfortably.
Two: Ummmm JACUZZI! No jacuzzi at the values (that I'm aware of). At the end of a day on my feet AND given that I am on vacation, I feel the need to soak & unwind for a bit.
Three: The boat to DTD. So cool!
Four: Since the kids are older I figured we may spend more time on property. Whether it's relaxing on a carriage ride or jet skiing. It's the little extras we/they may appreciate. My daughter has already said she isn't wanting to go to DW as much for the rides but more for the atmosphere. (yes, hate that she is becoming so grown up!) I'm hoping to bring her back to little-girl-ville while at DW!
Lastly, I think they will love the choice in going over to "the other side" to the dragon pool. Just a little bit of extra magic.
I know the decision isn't easy since I had a Little Mermaid fan on my team but between the room type & the history/story behind POR, all three of us were in agreement to stay at POR.
I'm sure no matter where you stay, you will be happy! After all, you are going to Walt Disney World!

pegrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: