Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
Personally I loved the discounts, it allowed my wife and I to upgrade from a value to a moderate resort on our honeymoon. It also allowed for us to visit WDW at times when we might not have been able to.
That's the other side of the coin...and there is always one.

But i think the "buy 4, get 3", "kids stay for free", and "free dining, free dining, free dining" has actually eroded the quality - by design. As in it has allowed management to quietly reduce services or quality...or been an excuse "See? we had too!" when they've needed to justify reductions. They had an opening and they have used it - as they always do. Who cares if you give a couple years of discounts if you lock in savings on quality for the next 3 decades?

Reductions at WDW tend to be permanent - not temporary. Once the cut is made, probably unrealistic to see it back.

I'll give you an example: seafood.

WDW used to have fantastic seafood...not only quality, but variety...
lately, i've seen grouper, mussels, and the three most dreaded words in the english language "LOCH DART SALMON"

not that those things aren't good...but it'd be nice to see a little more swordfish, maybe some cobia, striped bass, oysters, prawns, and heaven forbid - conch (which is basically only found within 300 miles of Florida on Earth)...etc. etc.

My point is that dining plan was part of the discounts...dining plan allowed streamlining and cost cutting on the menus....therefore discounts share some blame.

I know that's not a good argument debate wise...but luckily this isnt' a formal debate
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
shademan
Earning My Ears

Traditionally, free dining is offered in Sept/Oct. I'm sure that will continue to be the case this year.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Katmat75
DIS Veteran

I for one think the free dining has gotten out of hand. You have a very difficult time even getting a reservation! Believe me I am one that have used it previously but it wasn't as bad back then! I guess more and more people just caught on.

I love WDW! I refuse to go anywhere else on vacation. I actually liked the buy 4 get 3 free deal better and it seemed a lot less crowded with that discount!

Our finances doesn't always afford us to go to WDW every year so sometimes i do like the discounts, except in recent years it has gotten way too crowded during the free dining time. We would always go in August because that was the value season and it was not very crowded at all! But the free dining changed that!

August 1999 - CBR, August 2001 - CBR,August 2003 - AS, August 2004 - CBR, August 2005 - CBR, August 2006 - CBR, Nov/Dec 2006 - SOG, August 2007 - CBR,August 2009 - CBR Offsite August 2010 ASMu September 2012 ASMu September 2013
Katmat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
MTAPierce
Excited for our 1st trip to WDW!

We went the first week of September 2012 during free dining, and it didn't really seem crowded at all. The day we spent at DHS, a cast member actually told me it was the slowest day they had encountered all year to that point. We were able to take our time getting there, get our fast pass for the Toy Story ride, ride it, get another, and ride it again... all before 5:00 in the evening! We are scheduled to go back this September, and I'm hoping for a similar experience. I'm not certain if they'll have free dining then, or not, they've not announced anything that I know of... We choose September because we hope that most families with school age kids will have already come and gone by then!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #20
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAPierce View Post
We went the first week of September 2012 during free dining, and it didn't really seem crowded at all. The day we spent at DHS, a cast member actually told me it was the slowest day they had encountered all year to that point. We were able to take our time getting there, get our fast pass for the Toy Story ride, ride it, get another, and ride it again... all before 5:00 in the evening! We are scheduled to go back this September, and I'm hoping for a similar experience. I'm not certain if they'll have free dining then, or not, they've not announced anything that I know of... We choose September because we hope that most families with school age kids will have already come and gone by then!
we went in march and august of 2012...

and i gotta be honest: it was not crowded either time. It seems almost "under crowded"

We're going in may coming up...flights are still relatively inexpensive...i had a load of DVC choices under the 7 month window...and i can book almost anywhere to eat at this very moment.

I know they have put up small percentage gains for attendance figures at the parks...but the rubber doesn't seem to be meeting the road over the recent 1-2 years.

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

It has become totally hit or miss regarding how busy it is. As locals we're always trying to figure it out but honestly one park can be jammed while another is empty on the same day with no logical explanation!

I think the successes and prices at Universal and Seaworld also play into this.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #22
medic318
Mouseketeer

Our last trip was in October of 2011, we were in MK on the Wednesday after Columbus Day, and it was the most crowded I have ever seen the parks. They added an additional parade and extended the hours. I think that peoples traveling times are just changing. I was just having this conversation with my wife. It seems that more school districts are changing their normal schedules to full year round school. They are starting to talk about it more here in New York. Plus a lot of school districts on Long Island (like ours), cancelled their winter break because school was closed for Sandy for a week plus. I wonder if that is having an effect this year too?

As for me I can't wait to go back. We are lucky enough to be doing 2 trips this year, with possibly a 3rd in April of next year. Definitely love the annual pass deal we got.

me, dw, dd(8), ds(3)
1999 CB (honeymoon), 2000 DL, 2001 CS, 2006 ASM, 2008 SSR, 2010 THV, 2011 VWL
medic318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #23
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic318 View Post
Our last trip was in October of 2011, we were in MK on the Wednesday after Columbus Day, and it was the most crowded I have ever seen the parks. They added an additional parade and extended the hours. I think that peoples traveling times are just changing. I was just having this conversation with my wife. It seems that more school districts are changing their normal schedules to full year round school. They are starting to talk about it more here in New York. Plus a lot of school districts on Long Island (like ours), cancelled their winter break because school was closed for Sandy for a week plus. I wonder if that is having an effect this year too?

As for me I can't wait to go back. We are lucky enough to be doing 2 trips this year, with possibly a 3rd in April of next year. Definitely love the annual pass deal we got.
Wow, I wish they would consider that here. A coworker moved to Vegas many years ago and they have it out there. Maybe 3 weeks off in summer plus mulitiple breaks during the school year. I think it's awesome. Too much sitting around for 10 weeks is a waste of time only to have to review for the month of Sept what's been forgotten. Kids have such a hard time getting back into their routine. Mine do anyway.
I mentioned it to ds's teacher back when he was in 2nd grade (when my friend moved) now in 10th grade, and she said the NJEA would never approve it; too many teachers have shore houses and would fight like crazy for their summer break.
Sorry! Back to Disney deals....

Last edited by ruadisneyfan2; 02-05-2013 at 11:11 PM.
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #24
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2

Wow, I wish they would consider that here. A coworker moved to Vegas many years ago and they have it out there. Maybe 3 weeks off in summer plus mulitiple breaks during the school year. I think it's awesome. Too much sitting around for 10 weeks is a waste of time only to have to review for the month of Sept what's been forgotten. Kids have such a hard time getting back into their routine. Mine do anyway.
I mentioned it to ds's teacher back when he was in 2nd grade (when my friend moved) now in 10th grade, and she said the NJEA would never approve it; too many teachers have shore houses and would fight like crazy for their summer break.
We dont have year round schools in vegas anymore....they changed it to a late august-early june schedule....they are contemplating going back though because of overcrowding.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #25
mickey2000
Pin trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
I mentioned it to ds's teacher back when he was in 2nd grade (when my friend moved) now in 10th grade, and she said the NJEA would never approve it; too many teachers have shore houses and would fight like crazy for their summer break. Sorry! Back to Disney deals....
I can't believe someone would say this and believe it !!!

Teachers in NJ with with shore houses
Most work summer job ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

NJEA does NOT make the RULES ! The STATE of NJ does .....
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #26
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000 View Post
I can't believe someone would say this and believe it !!!

Teachers in NJ with with shore houses
Most work summer job ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
woah, woah, woah...

the truth is in the middle on this one.

My wife was a teacher before kids, from a family of teachers....

While "most" can't afford beach houses in the recent, make believe, real estate "values" period in this state...

there are quite a few that frequent the sand traps through one method or another all summer...so while exaggerated...the point is valid.

I can also say that the teachers here are not struggling or under-compensated...and if you see it as so...you need some perspective. Lifetime work guarantees, guaranteed contract raises locked in, little health care contribution, pension plans.

The monetary value on that alone is for more valuable than the stated dollars and sense.

perspective

Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #27
scrappinggirl
Mouseketeer

free meal plan in April?

Does WDW ever offer free meal plan in April? that is when I am going and hoped to get that one. I went in October and was able to take advantage of it and it was awesome! Very helpful to afford to go.

Me DH (Won't fly, not going) Kyle DS (12yrs old)
1989 ~Fort Wilderness
2006 ~ Comptemporary
2008 ~POFQ
2012~Disneyland (only 1 day)
2013 ~POR/Hardrock Universal
scrappinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic318 View Post

OMG...we were there then too! 1st time going in October! We were SHOCKED at the crowds...over 2 hour waits for Splash and Space by 1pm. Was more crowded then I have seen it Thanksgiving week. Plus the BTG were everywhere. Splash CM said they had to call in more CM's as they neede the help for all the extra guests that Disney had not anticipated.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #29
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
Who Knows What EVIL Lurks In The Heart Of Disney Marketing?!

When Disney feels ready to implement their next promotion they will do so. If other recent promotions have been any indication, for about the first month nobody will really understand it and the Marketing people will not have thought out all the ramifications.
Very true, I can see it getting even worse since the No Exp ticket are being phased out.
Some how I can see fluctuations in ticket prices based on park attendance. Basically, the ticket will cost more when attendance it predicted to be high and cost less when attendance it predicted to be lower.
Maybe even going to the airline model of constantly fluctuating ticket prices.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #30
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post

I can certainly believe that. My brother is a teacher (in NYC). And he is a teacher for one reason and one reason only - to have July and August off.

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: