Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Thnlk
Mouseketeer

Thank You Disney

We just got back from from a 15 day Hawaii cruise on Carnival. We did it to save some money. We have only cruised on Disney prior to this and will never stray again.

Cons
Embarkment took about 3 hours. The food was very average this was the first cruise we have never gained any weight on. Everything we did you would have to stand in line. Tv in the stateroom usually had no reception. In Kona we were tendered to shore with the lifeboats off the ship. The crew really tried but these boats weren't designed to do this and it was an adventure. Dis-embarkment was also a total mess.

Pros
The help was friendly and our room steward was great. Pinnacale Steak house was fantastic. The ship was very clean.

In talking to people who have been long term Carnival cruisers they agreed that this was the worst Carnival Cruise they had ever been on.

Disneyland Tokyo 1990
Disneyland California 2009
Disney Wester Caribbean Cruise 2011/2013/2015
Disney World 2011 / 2012 / 2014
Disney Eastern Carribean Cruise 2012
Disney Alaskian Cruise 2012
Disney California Coast Cruise 2014
Disney Panama Canal repo 2014
Thnlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Not gaining weight isn't really a bad thing, is it? Haha.

I sailed NCL in Hawaii. They had to use their lifeboats too. It's not the cruise lines fault exactly. Kona just doesn't have the ferry tenders that an island like grand cayman does! At least it's a short ride to shore. I've read Belize is horrendously long tenders and they have to use the ship boats there too.

I do know what you mean tho, Carnival isn't our cup of tea either. No amount of money saved can get me back on their ships anytime soon. NCL and DCL have fit us better so far. We gladly sail NCL when we need to save money vs the DCL price tag.

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnlk View Post
We just got back from from a 15 day Hawaii cruise on Carnival. We did it to save some money. We have only cruised on Disney prior to this and will never stray again.

Cons
Embarkment took about 3 hours. The food was very average this was the first cruise we have never gained any weight on. Everything we did you would have to stand in line. Tv in the stateroom usually had no reception. In Kona we were tendered to shore with the lifeboats off the ship. The crew really tried but these boats weren't designed to do this and it was an adventure. Dis-embarkment was also a total mess.

Pros
The help was friendly and our room steward was great. Pinnacale Steak house was fantastic. The ship was very clean.

In talking to people who have been long term Carnival cruisers they agreed that this was the worst Carnival Cruise they had ever been on.
OMG 15 days on a ship where others thought it was the worse cruise they'd ever been on? I get soooo claustrophobic to begin with.

And you didn't gain weight? Awhhh... It took me over 2 months to lose my cruise weight
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
super mike b
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnlk View Post

Cons

Pros

Thanks for posting. This is exactly why I have no interest in the other lines. We are happy with the Disney product and don't want to even risk being disappointed.
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Wow. The other lines that we have done have been the "upscale" lines. We seem to find some things better than DCL and some things that DCL does better.

Sorry for your LONG 15 days.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Gaining weight is not a sign of a good cruise.

We spent 14 days in December on a ship and I lost weight 2 pounds.
I'll sail her again. I loved the Fantasy

Last edited by NWmom; 02-05-2013 at 11:47 PM.
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

It's hard to compare carnival to dcl. It's like comparing Walmart and Macy's. there's value on both of them, but...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Disneygirl NY
Mouseketeer

Funny story. We just sailed the Dream 2 weeks ago, as we drove into the port to get on the boat, there was a Carnival ship docked next to the Dream. My DS (7) said to me, "we can never go on a Carnival boat". I asked him why, he would really have no reason to be saying that, we've only done Disney. He said that "there is nothing to do on those boats, they are so boring". Again, I asked why would he say that. He said, "because of that commercial on TV where the 2 people are just standing there, when they were being attacked by the bears on their last vacation. They are just standing eating strawberries, there is nothing else to do on that boat!"

Disneygirl NY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: