Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
profa
Mouseketeer

DL w/ 4 yr old in a cast

We leave in 4 wks and my 4 yr old broke her leg in two spots yesterday skiing. She gets a cast tomorrow. They said it would be on for 4-6 wks. Ugh!
She will be 3 mos shy of age 5 at the time of our trip.
I am thinking a wheelchair would be most comfortable for her at DL. Anyone have experience with this and how it effects rides?
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Wow. Have you considered rescheduling the trip? Awful to think about, I can understand. We had to cancel a trip to Boston, for my son's broken foot, I know the situation.

Will her leg be sticking straight out, I mean, will the cast go up over her knee? If so, she will not be able to ride many rides? Very few would accomodate this? Even a plane ride would be tough.

She may also be in some pain, broken bones can ache.

Good luck.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
sb682
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
Wow. Have you considered rescheduling the trip? Awful to think about, I can understand. We had to cancel a trip to Boston, for my son's broken foot, I know the situation.

Will her leg be sticking straight out, I mean, will the cast go up over her knee? If so, she will not be able to ride many rides? Very few would accomodate this? Even a plane ride would be tough.

She may also be in some pain, broken bones can ache.

Good luck.
I agree, could you reschedule it? My son broke his arm a month ago and had the cast removed today. The orthopedist said to be very cautious and take it easy for the next few weeks, which includes our trip. He was so frustrated by not being able to do what he normally would, something that would also bother a 4-5 year old. If her cast goes over her knee, she may have trouble on the plane, and there would be several rides she couldn't go on. I would think that would be worse for a little kid than not going at all. Sorry for the awful timing; my brother broke his leg the day before we left for Disney when I was a kid and we were all so bummed.
sb682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I agree that if the cast covers her knee so she can't bend her leg, I would reschedule.

Just curious, how does a 4 year old break a leg skiing?
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
profa
Mouseketeer

I will find out tomorrow when she gets the cast. It would involve changine 4 plane tickets. We aren't going just for disney but true if the cast is over the knee than probably no plane trip.
This is her 2nd yr skiing and she just crossed the tips and fell. Nothing spectacular. But the boot holds the foot and the rest of her twisted. She has two fractures.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Oh, poor little one!

A five year old in a straight leg cast may be able to fit on some things, but will probably need to avoid any rough rides as the other posters suggested.

Whether or not she has a long leg (over the knee cast), it would be helpful to have something she can ride in with the ability to elevate the leg rest.
An adult wheelchair is not going to be comfortable for a 5 year old because it will be very wide and the seat will be very deep for someone that young. Also, an elevating adult footrest is going to stick out very far from the front of the chair and her foot my not come much farther than the knee area of the legrest.

I would suggest seeing what the options are for renting an appropriate wheelchair in your home area. If she's going to need it for 4-6 weeks, you will want to rent one at home anyway.
Since you are flying, you would also have it to get to your gate at your departure airline. She could stay in it up until you get onto the plane, then gate check it. Mobility devices can be gate checked free of charge and do not count toward your baggage allowance.

You might also want to check into getting her a temporary handicapped parking permit for the time she is recovering from the injury. The motor vehicle website or your state should tell you how to apply or one and most even have a file of the application form that you can download and print. You would bring the form to the doctor for them to fill out,

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

You might also check out a special needs stroller. I think the Liberty push-chair (I forget the full model name) that is rented by at least one of the Orlando-area stroller rental companies is similar style to a jogging stroller. You might even be able to rent or borrow one at home - check with your local hospital and/or rehab center. While it won't technically support her leg "up" the footrest is more forward allowing for straighter legs as opposed to the standard strollers with the 90-degree knee bend and feet directly underneath. I agree that a pediatric wheelchair or stroller will be essential for this trip, and get the stroller-as-wheelchair tag so it can be brought into the lines. Even if she's in a walking cast she will tire easily dragging that thing around all day!

Try measuring her from the hips down to her feet - if in a straight-leg cast that's how much room she'll need either on the plane or in ride cars.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by profa View Post
I will find out tomorrow when she gets the cast. It would involve changine 4 plane tickets. We aren't going just for disney but true if the cast is over the knee than probably no plane trip.
This is her 2nd yr skiing and she just crossed the tips and fell. Nothing spectacular. But the boot holds the foot and the rest of her twisted. She has two fractures.
Poor kid!

This is a good example of why it can be a good idea to buy trip insurance. Hope things work out.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
I agree that if the cast covers her knee so she can't bend her leg, I would reschedule.

Just curious, how does a 4 year old break a leg skiing?

My friends daughter was 5, and broke her leg with a spiral fracture at Epcot! Things can happen.... In her case, her DD was spinning, twirling around, and laughing happily, waiting for the Epcot Illuminations to start..... you guessed it, her foot got stuck in a crack, but her body kept spinning, OUCH.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
profa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
My friends daughter was 5, and broke her leg with a spiral fracture at Epcot! Things can happen.... In her case, her DD was spinning, twirling around, and laughing happily, waiting for the Epcot Illuminations to start..... you guessed it, her foot got stuck in a crack, but her body kept spinning, OUCH.
I think that's what happened to my daughter. The breaks are vertical and sprial.
The cast is over her knee. The dr will see us in two wks and as long as things look good she will put on a shorter cast or a boot the day before we leave. Of course I didn't buy trip insurance! With 3 kids one would think but oh well.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
profa
Mouseketeer

Oh and we did get a wheel chair. It's a small kid size one.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by profa View Post
Oh and we did get a wheel chair. It's a small kid size one.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: