Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


View Poll Results: If it was your choice, what would you do in the area designated for Avatar?
Love the Avatar Concept! Pure Disney Genius! 41 16.33%
Scrap Avatar! Give me the Australian Outback instead. 130 51.79%
Like the idea of something new, but, neither Avatar or Australia are doing it for me. 68 27.09%
The area is lovely now - just leave it as is! 12 4.78%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place
 
bom_noite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 638

What will you do with Animal Kingdom Poll!

What would you do:

Last edited by bom_noite; 02-05-2013 at 06:00 PM.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
arfisher12
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western PA
Posts: 72

I would add a tarzen ride where you would swing on a vine through a jungle playing some Phil Collins


Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
arfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast
 
DizCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 611

I would visit it and look at the animals.
__________________
Dan

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney


DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
jgh
Peter Pan!
 
jgh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens, GA...461 miles from WDW!
Posts: 571

I'm definitely not super excited about Avatarland (though of course I'll go see it if it happens). I hadn't heard about the Australian Outback...that might be cool. I'm really not sure WHAT I would like them to do with AK...but they DO need to do SOMETHING.
__________________


jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place
 
bom_noite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
I hadn't heard about the Australian Outback...that might be cool.
The Australia idea, was not born from any rumor past or present (as far as I know). Rather, a few people on posts regarding Avatar tossed it out as a different option.

Last edited by bom_noite; 02-05-2013 at 06:49 PM.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Smile

~Many Australians here have said, they don't wish to be defined by the "Outback." They find the association of their culture with the "Outback" to be somewhat offensive, in a stereotypical manner. Australia should be in Epcot -- the Sydney Opera House right off of the Epcot lake would be so fabulous!!!

~As for the poll, there is no "concept" of Avatarland. We have no idea, what Disney & James Cameron have planned. We do have Fantasyland, that's based on everything Disney, the perfect "concept". And, so far it sounds like a real bore!!! A very beautiful, detailed, well executed bore!!! I can't wait to see what James Cameron & the Imagineers put together!
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place
 
bom_noite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Many Australians here have said, they don't wish to be defined by the "Outback." They find the association of their culture with the "Outback" to be somewhat offensive, in a stereotypical manner.
As for the "Outback" comment - my apologies if anyone was offended! I have had many dealing with Australians through the years, never realized that.

Quote:
Australia should be in Epcot -- the Sydney Opera House right off of the Epcot lake would be so fabulous!!!
That is a very interesting comment / idea.

Quote:
~As for the poll, there is no "concept" of Avatarland. We have no idea, what Disney & James Cameron have planned. We do have Fantasyland, that's based on everything Disney, the perfect "concept". And, so far it sounds like a real bore!!! A very beautiful, detailed, well executed bore!!! I can't wait to see what James Cameron & the Imagineers put together!
Well, there have been some posts on other threads regarding the initial plans that were found: A Soarin' type ride and a boat ride of some type. From what I understand, the disagreements between Disney / Cameron are not based on what has been proposed thus forth, rather, Cameron would like to see more.

But, cannot the same argument be made for Australia Land? It is just a concept idea. A white sheet of paper. On other threads suggestions ranged from: A Barrier Reef log ride, restaurants (of course) and native animal areas.

Think of all of the indigenous critters running around that are very foreign to Americans. Latin Americans, Europeans and are not represented in the Animal Kingdom (let alone many Zoo's) today.

While I cannot speak for all of my fellow Yank's, I think the majority of Americans have: A rabid fascination and tremendous amount of respect with Australia. Certainly, it would achieve the ultimate goal of increasing attendance.

I also strongly believe that an Australian area fit's better then Avatarland. Education and Preservation of the natural environment is what AK is all about. And, I believe that showcasing Australia's magnificent natural wonders is 100 times better then Blue whatever's from a mythical world.

If they want to put Avatarland at the Studio's - have at it! But, I cannot get past the thought of adding mythical creatures to the AK. It is like fingernails on a chalk-board to me.

Last edited by bom_noite; 02-06-2013 at 10:42 AM.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,949

Basically...its a tiny little park (think Studios Paris) with a huge, oversized drive through safari attached.

Its kinda like Six Flags Great Adventure...if you only include the drive through safari and kiddie land.

I don't honestly care what they build...it could be avatar, australia, some kinda make believe land, or seamonkeys on the moon...

Just finish the damn park.

This to me was the start of the decline of the Eisner period...and is just a big of a construction flub as california adventure...just not so much PR egg on their faces.

Half built parks are not even worth building.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfisher12 View Post
I would add a tarzen ride where you would swing on a vine through a jungle playing some Phil Collins


Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
I'd be in for that!
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Safari Queen
Now 14 miles from my happy place.
 
Safari Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA & 14 miles from WDW
Posts: 1,289

I have trouble understanding why people think AK isn't complete. Of course there's room for more, but we can easily fill a whole day there. We adore animals and really take our time on the trails and in the aviaries, plus we like all the shows. We're not thrill ride people, so Everest and that evil wild mouse over in Dinoland aren't part of our plan. We love the shady paths, the relatively untamed beauty, the details on the buildings and other artifacts, plus the opportunity to see the animals in natural surroundings in addition to the attractions.

I see people who trudge through Pangani rapidly, looking straight ahead, paying no attention to the wildlife, exotic construction, and beautiful plants around them, searching for the next "ride". Clearly, AK is not the park for them.
__________________
"Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." Walt Disney

VWL Feb 04, OKW Oct 04, SSR Oct 04, BWV Dec 04, OKW Feb 05, BCV Sep 05, BWV Oct 05, BWV Dec 05, OKW Feb 06, BWV Nov 06, BCV Jan 07, BWV & DCL Apr 07, BWV Jun 07, F&W @ BWV Oct 07, AKL & OKW Jan 08, F&W @ AKV Oct 08, BWV Jan 09, AKL Concierge Nov 09; BCV & BWV Jan 10; BWV Oct 10; BWV Jan 11; Coronado Sp/AKL - Feb 12; BWV F&W Oct 12; AKL Oct 13
NEXT: F&W, Oct 14
Safari Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by bom_noite View Post
As for the "Outback" comment - my apologies if anyone was offended! I have had many dealing with Australians through the years, never realized that.

That is a very interesting comment / idea.
~bom noite, there is no need to apologize! Initially, I thought Australia in AK was a great idea, too. But, some Australians find the association with the Outback to be a gross misrepresentation of their culture. I tend to agree -- Australia is a better fit for Epcot.

Quote:
Well, there have been some posts on other threads regarding the initial plans that were found: A Soarin' type ride and a boat ride of some type. From what I understand, the disagreements between Disney / Cameron are not based on what has been proposed thus forth, rather, Cameron would like to see more.
~Conjecture. I saw the "leaked" schematic, it could have come from anywhere, but I hope it's real.

Quote:
But, cannot the same argument be made for Australia Land? It is just a concept idea. A white sheet of paper. On other threads suggestions ranged from: A Barrier Reef log ride, restaurants (of course) and native animal areas.

Think of all of the indigenous critters running around that are very foreign to Americans. Latin Americans, Europeans and are not represented in the Animal Kingdom (let alone many Zoo's) today.

While I cannot speak for all of my fellow Yank's, I think the majority of Americans have: A rabid fascination and tremendous amount of respect with Australia. Certainly, it would achieve the ultimate goal of increasing attendance.

I also strongly believe that an Australian area fit's better then Avatarland. Education and Preservation of the natural environment is what AK is all about. And, I believe that showcasing Australia's magnificent natural wonders is 100 times better then Blue whatever's from a mythical world.
~This is just your opinion. There are other opinions just as strong that believe otherwise. Many Australian's here have voiced a strong opinion that they don't want their country represented in AK. I'm not saying, it's right or wrong, but I think we should respect their feelings. You may think it's a good idea, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Quote:
If they want to put Avatarland at the Studio's - have at it! But, I cannot get past the thought of adding mythical creatures to the AK. It is like fingernails on a chalk-board to me.
~Wow! You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but the "Yeti" is a mythical creature & the "dragon" in AK's logo is a mythical creature, they are not real animals. Animal Kingdom is a theme park representing creatures "real, ancient & imagined." It's not a zoo.
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran
 
Masonmj84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,255

Here's an idea for an Australia-themed area:

1. A nature trail similar to those in Africa and Asia with animals indigenous to Australia.

2. A Great Barrier Reef attraction that is an underwater ride with real sea life that is sort of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea meets Kilimanjaro Safaris (the entire top half of the ride vehicles could be some sort of glass dome).

I realize the second concept would likely be prohibitively expensive (and for that matter, entirely unfeasable). But it would be so cool.
__________________
Masonmj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
raidermatt
Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 7,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Queen View Post
I have trouble understanding why people think AK isn't complete. Of course there's room for more, but we can easily fill a whole day there. We adore animals and really take our time on the trails and in the aviaries, plus we like all the shows. We're not thrill ride people, so Everest and that evil wild mouse over in Dinoland aren't part of our plan. We love the shady paths, the relatively untamed beauty, the details on the buildings and other artifacts, plus the opportunity to see the animals in natural surroundings in addition to the attractions.

I see people who trudge through Pangani rapidly, looking straight ahead, paying no attention to the wildlife, exotic construction, and beautiful plants around them, searching for the next "ride". Clearly, AK is not the park for them.
Certainly there are those that agree with you. But Disney has to look at the big picture, and in that big picture, they can't afford to have so many people think of AK as not the park for them. Clearly they are still trying to find ways to make the park more compelling for more people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD
I tend to agree -- Australia is a better fit for Epcot.
It's been 25 years since a pavilion was added to Epcot. At some point, we need to face up to the reality that the economics, as defined by Disney, do not work out.

Australia, just like Asia and Africa, is a perfect fit for Animal Kingdom.

But should Disney ever decide World Showcase is worth the trouble of them spending some of their own money, there's no reason Australia couldn't be in both WS and AK. Asia is currently in AK and China/Japan are in WS and it works fine. Clearly the focus would be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD
~This is just your opinion. There are other opinions just as strong that believe otherwise. Many Australian's here have voiced a strong opinion that they don't want their country represented in AK. I'm not saying, it's right or wrong, but I think we should respect their feelings. You may think it's a good idea, but that doesn't mean it's right.
In AK, Australia wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, be represented as a country, but rather as a continent. A geographic entity, not a nationality. Again, just like Asia and Africa. There will always be somebody upset, just as I'm sure there are people who live in Asia and Africa that don't like Disney's depiction in AK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD
~Wow! You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but the "Yeti" is a mythical creature & the "dragon" in AK's logo is a mythical creature, they are not real animals. Animal Kingdom is a theme park representing creatures "real, ancient & imagined." It's not a zoo.
As I'm sure you know, the dragon is representative of Beastly Kingdom, an area originally planned and announced by Disney to be added to AK after it opened. Of course, Disney retreated after the public's less than enthusiastic response to AK when it opened, and BK never came to be.

But the idea was that yes, mythical creatures would be included, but they would have their own area. Asia and Africa would remain based on actual animals.

Obviously Disney no longer believes in that philosophy as you correctly point out that the Yeti is in Asia. But that doesn't mean the idea is going to sit well with everyone. After all, there were very valid creative reasons for keeping the mythical creatures seperate, and nothing has changed that.
__________________
-Matt
raidermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes
 
Stacy's a freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 2,523

[QUOTE=Masonmj84;47436424]2. A Great Barrier Reef attraction that is an underwater ride with real sea life that is sort of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea meets Kilimanjaro Safaris (the entire top half of the ride vehicles could be some sort of glass dome). [QUOTE]

I like the Great Barrier Reef idea but is that too close to EPCOT's the Living Seas? If I understand it correctly, we are talking about the Camp Minnie Mickey area which housed one of my favorite shows on property, FoTLK. Correct me if I'm wrong (since I haven't been in 2 years), but I hear that they have stopped that show and plan to relocate it? Frankly, if they don't get started on something there, I am going to be peeved that they took away a fantastic show to leave the area idle.
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Marshypooh
Mouseketeer
 
Marshypooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 118

I am not opposed to an Avatar themed land as I think it could be quite beautiful and have exciting rides as well. However, I would prefer a section, devoted to Australia or North or South America. I love the animal trails in Asia and Africa and would so much like to see the wildlife and natural beauty of other continents represented. And if the imagination is put to good use there really are many possibilities of exciting rides, too, that would fit into the theming of those countries.
__________________
Me DH DD21 DD18
Marshypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: