Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Question Caribbean Beach Resort. Sell me on it

I am looking to stay at a Moderate however only one available is Caribbean Beach. Is this resort truly old and out dated?
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
RedsDrew
Mouseketeer

Okay this is a tough one. I didn't enjoy my stay at CBR for two reasons: the resort is so big and the music in the resort/on the buses became annoying. I spent so much time waiting for buses on the internal resort transportation just to get to a bus stop where I had to wait for another bus to get to a park. This might not bother some people but for me, I didn't care for it. Also, I disliked waiting to get on the internal bus to get to the hotel lobby (the custom house) or to get food... If you google Caribbean Beach Resort, you will see there are more than enough instances of people complaining about the internal bus wait times for this resort.

Once on the bus, the steel drum music they use is fun at first but then it quickly gets old. One night leaving a park I had a headache and those higher pitched pipes/drums made it worse. In fact, that's the only time I've been unhappy with any Disney World music/background noise selections.

If it weren't for these two factors, I would stay here again. The white beaches with hammocks and the pastel colors made me feel like I was on a seriously tropical vacation. Unfortunately, so did the head pounding and ear piercing sound of steel drums.
June 2014 - BWI; May/June 2013 - POR; May/June 2012 - POFQ; Sept 2011 - POFQ for MNSSHP; Nov 2010 - AKL for MMVCP; July 2010 - Pop Century for 4th of July; May/June 2010 - Contemporary; Apr 2010 - CBR; Nov 2009 - POR for MMVCP[/B]
RedsDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

I've always loved the CBR, stayed there several times and has always been my fave moderate resort. But didnt they just update the rooms recently?? Havent been there since they did that. Lovely grounds tho. Very spread out, sections names after islands, 2 bus stops, good food court, hammocks on the beaches, hot tub and nice size pool with waterfall...love the little sanctuary in the middle of the islands.

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsDrew
I spent so much time waiting for buses on the internal resort transportation just to get to a bus stop where I had to wait for another bus to get to a park. This might not bother some people but for me, I didn't care for it.
That would bother me too. However, there's absolutely no need to get on the internal shuttle in order to get to any park. Every village has it's own bus stop that all the park buses stop at and the internal stops at.

Yes the resort is large. Which to us is a plus. Even when it's at capacity it never feels like it. During 3 stays, we've never had to use the internal buses. The farthest out rooms are the Pirate Themed rooms and they are under 10 minute stroll to OPR.

CBR is our favorite moderate. The laid back relaxed feel is such a great change from the craziness of the parks. It feels like a true resort instead of a compact hotel. For those who want everything enclosed under one roof and don't enjoy exploring the beautiful grounds, it's definitely not for them.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
MDMickey

Talking

We stayed at CBR in 2010 and really enjoyed. Previously we stayed at Coronado Springs, but the distance to everything seemed much further than CBR. We're going to be staying at CBR again in 1 week. Hope we have the same building
Old 02-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at the CBR 8 times in the last 7 years and have another stay booked for May, 2013. Yes, the resort is large and there is an internal shuttle bus that will take you around the resort. Having said that, we haven't used the internal bus even once in all of our stays. To us, there's really no need to. The walk around the entire resort promenade (exclusing Trinidad South where the pirate rooms are) is 1.4 miles. Old Port Royale, where the food court, main pool, marina, store, etc. are located is, roughly, in the middle of the resort promenade. So, even if you were in one of the furthest rooms from OPR, you're walk will never be, again, roughly, more than half of that 1.4 miles.

This past trip, pre-cruise, we were in one of the furthest Barbados Buildings and our walk to OPR was 7 1/2 minutes walking behind a couple with a double stroller. Other times, the walks were about 6 1/2 minutes. When we stayed in Jamaica, the walk was about 5 minutes as were the walks from our buildings in non-preferred Martinique. My mother has gone with us twice when we stayed in Jamaica and, even though she was 76 and 77 at the time, she had no problems with the walks. The landscaping and the colorful buildings at the resort make the walks pleasant.

In the evenings or on our down/resort days, we like to take a swim in the pool(s), relax in a beach chair or in a hammock, maybe rent a bicycle and then the day watching a movie in the courtyard just outside OPR.

The rooms at the CBR are a bit larger than the other moderates and there's plenty of storage space for our family family of four (now three since our daughter has gotten married).

The bus transportation to and from the parks has always run efficiently during each of our eight stays. We've stayed during mid-May, late-May, Memorial Day holiday, early June (During Star Wars Weekends), and early August. The longest wait that we've had was about 20 minutes with most being less than that. There are covered bus stops in each resort village so you're never far from one. Becuase the resort is centrally located, it doesn't take long to get to any of the parks, water parks or Downtown Disney.

The food court has a nice selection of foods to choose from and has several different stations. If your group want to split up, they can get their food and them meet back up at the register to pay. If you want your food to go, tell the castmember when they are fixing your food and they will put a top on it. The castmember at the register can give you a bag with a carry handle.

The store and arcade are also in Old Port Royale as is package-pickup. The store isn't super large but there's quite a bit of merchandise and there are even sundries in case you forget something at home.

I have lots and lots of pictures posted over on the CBR pic thread and will be posting even more soon. I love spending time at the resort! I also have lots of pictures of the resort and my review in my trip report. Just click on the link below to have a look around. There are handy dandy chapter links in the 8th post too.

If you have any specific CBR questions that I haven't answered, please let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
That would bother me too. However, there's absolutely no need to get on the internal shuttle in order to get to any park. Every village has it's own bus stop that all the park buses stop at and the internal stops at.

Yes the resort is large. Which to us is a plus. Even when it's at capacity it never feels like it. During 3 stays, we've never had to use the internal buses. The farthest out rooms are the Pirate Themed rooms and they are under 10 minute stroll to OPR.

CBR is our favorite moderate. The laid back relaxed feel is such a great change from the craziness of the parks. It feels like a true resort instead of a compact hotel. For those who want everything enclosed under one roof and don't enjoy exploring the beautiful grounds, it's definitely not for them.
This

Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Umm, will you have a car? Can you otherwise get a preferred room location? CBR is massive, and I think either of those will help you not to feel so far from everything. CBR IS beautiful, but massive.

I would stay there again, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for your posts.

Yes I will have a car

My concern how huge the resort is. If I get stuck in the back a simple trip for coffee is going to feel like torture. Don't get me wrong I enjoy walking however I also like convenience.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post

Yes I will have a car

My concern how huge the resort is. If I get stuck in the back a simple trip for coffee is going to feel like torture. Don't get me wrong I enjoy walking however I also like convenience.
We drive to Disney every year. Once we park our car after checking in, we never get back in it until we are ready to leave.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
We drive to Disney every year. Once we park our car after checking in, we never get back in it until we are ready to leave.
I love doing that!!! Only issue not everyone I travel with feels that way. Also sometimes if we go for dinner at a resort is easier to drive.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30

Yes I will have a car

Unless you're booking a Pirate Themed room, a walk for coffee will definitely not be torture. If you're really concerned, you can book preferred. If that's not possible you can book standard and request Jamaica 45, Aruba 51 or Martinique 22. All three of those are under 5 minutes to OPR.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
Magalex
DIS Veteran

We have always enjoyed our visits to CBR. We never had an issue with the buses.(yes each village has its own bus stop) We always request the Jamaica buildings. Rooms have always been cleaned. CBR has great landscaping & love the tropical flowers especially walking over the bridge to the food court/gift shop area.
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
Sea World Orlando June 2014-Marriott Grande Vista
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post

Yes I will have a car

We were in Jamaica 44. And while it is not exactly the resort boonies, if you walk to the food court for a pop, it will be pretty much gone by the time you get back to your room.

I don't mind walking either, but it did feel as if we were away from the main part of the resort.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

We stayed in CBR last April and I had very low expectations. We loved it! The resort is tranquil and the grounds are so pretty. Like a PP said, even when it is at capacity it doesn't seem full (we stayed during one of the spring break weeks). The size to me is greatly exaggerated. We stayed in the Trinidad south section which is the furthest from the amenities and our building was the farthest building out. 7-10 minute walk maximum to the pool. No need to use an internal bus. The pool area is fantastic. And of course, quiet pools in each village. We found our room to be immaculate, no problems. We woukd happily stay here again. One negative, only full size beds. Hopefully, queen beds will come during the next renovation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: