Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

The tea is wonderful.

No resort fee at asm
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
blackberrybunny
Earning My Ears

I found on a ASM resort Facts sheet that there IS a 7% tax (of course) PLUS an additional 6% resort fee. The ASM resort is not for us.

Looks like we'll be staying at the Ramada, not far from the ASM resort. Prices are low and they have 2 pools. That is really all we wanted anyhow.

Thanks for all of your help!!

If anyone has anything to add, another place to stay, please DO let me know--as we have not made reservations yet. I just can't sit here any longer today trying to sort this mess out, my head is swimming!!! :-) This is TOUGH trying to book a nice place to stay!!
blackberrybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

No there IS NO resort fee at All Star Music. The tax rate for ALL HOTELS in the entire area on Disney Property and Off Disney Property is 13%. It is called a tourist tax. That is the additional 6% you are referring to. You will be paying that 13% regardless of where you stay.

A resort fee is a daily fee charged by many hotels in addition to the rate you see advertised or the price you are quoted. Many hotels also charge a fee to park your car at the hotel.

In addition, if you stay off Disney Property you will be charged $14 a day to park at the theme parks.

Disney owned hotels such as All Stars do not charge a resort fee or a parking fee. Parking is free at the hotel and also at the theme parks for resort guests.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrybunny View Post
I found on a ASM resort Facts sheet that there IS a 7% tax (of course) PLUS an additional 6% resort fee. The ASM resort is not for us.

Looks like we'll be staying at the Ramada, not far from the ASM resort. Prices are low and they have 2 pools. That is really all we wanted anyhow.

If anyone has anything to add, another place to stay, please DO let me know--as we have not made reservations yet. I just can't sit here any longer today trying to sort this mess out, my head is swimming!!! :-) This is TOUGH trying to book a nice place to stay!!
You need to believe the answers that we post. Disney doesn't charge a resort fee. The tax consists of sales tax of 7% + a hotel tax of 6% totaling 13% Check other hotels, 13% is the tax rate. Many hotels charge a resort fee in addition to local taxes.

You're considering the Ramada.

Check the reviews on sites like Trip Advisor. 60 of the 173 people who reviewed the hotel rated it terrible (the lowest rating).

One recent review:

Quote:
This place may have been a great place in its day but that day has long passed. Sitting in the restroom and had a cockroach run a crossed my foot. It wasn't even dark in the restroom. The furnishings in the room were old, beat up and from the 80's
Older properties have a choice. They can spend $$$ and renovate or they can let the property deteriorate and discount. A $40 rate doesn't give the hotel enough money to clean carpets, offer decent bedding, fumigate....

All Star Music would be my first choice, your criteria.Otherwise look at Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista. Currently $49 through bookit.com, maybe the same from other places, my guess the hotel's site will match the price.

The difference The Ramada's regular rate is around $50, the Clarion's regular rate is $70-$100. The bookit deal is a good promotion.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #20
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Agree with the other posters, you pay the 13% tax at any hotel, including ASM and any other off-site place. The only place that won't charge those is renting a timeshare from an owner.

Are you staying at the Ramada Gateway Kissimmee? Good luck and pray you get a Tower room. I checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor (a travel resource that has always helped me plan my trips) and everyone who is staying in the non-tower rooms is saying they are moldy, dirty, paint chipping, etc. I don't mean to scare you, just sharing their feedback.

I agree with the previous poster...keep looking or book ASM.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #21
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

There are hotels in your price range near Silver Spurs arena. My daughter has cheer competitions there.

If you can get a good FL resident discount, check out Gaylord Palms. Your mom would LOVE it.

Sometimes you have to call to ask the FL Resident rates.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
Ali
DIS Veteran

Security will be better on site at the values than offsite where you will end up paying more.

Why are you so resistant to the advice given here? Everyone wants to help you save money and give you a clean safe place.

I think the transportation available where she can get on the bus right away is a great thing.

Good luck. Read the reviews. Kids are every where in Orlando but usually they are in the parks during th day so pool time then would be good.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
There are hotels in your price range near Silver Spurs arena. My daughter has cheer competitions there.

If you can get a good FL resident discount, check out Gaylord Palms. Your mom would LOVE it.

Sometimes you have to call to ask the FL Resident rates.
Gaylord charges around $20 a day to park at the hotel, plus a daily resort fee, plus the $14 to park at the theme parks. Plus even with the FL resident rate Gaylord won't be $50 a night.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

We are staying 2 night at the Clarion Lake Buena Vista- deal through travelzoo. Room is $45 a night- with taxes it comes to $50.63. No hidden fees- you will still have to pay to park your car at WDW parks though. Here's where I found the deal. Here's a link to the hotel and the deal currently- it's now $45 a night- not $49- even better!. There is a shuttle (not sure if it's handicapped accessible) and 2 pools.
https://reservations.ihotelier.com/c...1&LanguageID=1
I have never stayed there, but I am sure you could request a 1st floor or handicapped accessible room if they have them. HTH

I think the hotel has a shuttle to WDW- not sure b/c we won't be needing it. It has 2 pools. Gets good reviews on Trip Advisor.
April 2013
Next Trip- Labor Day 2014- SeaWorld- Aquatica- Legoland- MNSSHP- Can't wait!

Last edited by Abharmagic; 02-05-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

Deleted- I combined it all into one post.

Last edited by Abharmagic; 02-05-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #26
nepean
Mouseketeer

Just got back and stayed at the Howard Johnson Lakeside on 192. It is full of Snowbirds. This makes the age range a little older, but they were very friendly. Some families but the pool is actually quiet. It is two story so ask for a first floor room. The view of Lake Cecile is beautiful. It is an older motel but well maintained and clean. They have new pillow top beds and they were really comfortable. The rate is around $39.95 plus 13% tax and $1.00 per day for the safe. Ask for their best rate. The breakfast is pretty standard but it does save a few bucks each day. Ask for building three at the back it would be the quietest. We look for clean and safe and this what this is. The staff is super friendly and seem to enjoy their work and take pride in it.

Nepean
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #27
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrybunny View Post

Put the information in for where you want to stay and you will see that 13% in taxes is added onto it. Resort fees are added (at some places) on top of that 13%, but definitely NOT at Disney Hotels.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #28
crazelion
Form feet and legs...form arms and body...and I'll form...THE HEAD!
Why did the monsters at the end of "Voltron" always get killed by the Blazing Sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abharmagic View Post
We are staying 2 night at the Clarion Lake Buena Vista- deal through travelzoo. Room is $45 a night- with taxes it comes to $50.63. No hidden fees- you will still have to pay to park your car at WDW parks though. Here's where I found the deal. Here's a link to the hotel and the deal currently- it's now $45 a night- not $49- even better!. There is a shuttle (not sure if it's handicapped accessible) and 2 pools.
https://reservations.ihotelier.com/c...1&LanguageID=1
I have never stayed there, but I am sure you could request a 1st floor or handicapped accessible room if they have them. HTH

I think the hotel has a shuttle to WDW- not sure b/c we won't be needing it. It has 2 pools. Gets good reviews on Trip Advisor.
I just about post travelzoo deal about the Clarion Lake Buena Vista. it excellent deal.

Thank You GumpyPirate
crazelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #29
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

I have booked LBV hotels for $55-65/night through lastminutetravel and hotwire - you can use betterbidding.com for reference. I agree that I think the Clarion LBV would be a good choice for an inexpensive hotel - the #50 Lynx runs by Palm Parkway to DTD and Ticket and Transportation Center if you don't want to park at the Parks or take the hotel shuttle - fare is $2 and bus runs every half hour. I think if you search around you may very well be able to get a hotel for that price.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
New Trip Report HKDL http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #30
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
Gaylord charges around $20 a day to park at the hotel, plus a daily resort fee, plus the $14 to park at the theme parks. Plus even with the FL resident rate Gaylord won't be $50 a night.
I didn't say Gaylord would be $50 a night. I was suggesting a hotel her mom would love. I stay in Orlando so often I don't know what is the absolute lowest I have paid for Gaylord, but I know we once paid $83 a night there. We get the military rate. Only thing for us is we have to get two rooms because of the 4 kiddos.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote